Big Woods Goods Review

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Brian618, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

I went to Big Woods Goods for the first time today, because I was out in that area for work and I wanted to get a look at the new Ruger SR9 Pistol, which they gladly allowed me to look at one fresh out of the FedEx box.

I was very impressed with their store, they had a nice collection of firearms for a fairly new shop, Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps were very evident. They also had several other pistols in their cases and a nice assortment of Long Guns. I expect that their inventory will continue to grow over time as they have only been open for a little over 6 months.

I spent some time talking to Teresa, and she is very nice and easy to talk to. She and her husband have done a great job opening a gun store that is friendly and courteous and without the grumpy old men that just grunt when you come into their shop or the gun store commando who will tell you why the [Insert Brand Here] is the only gun to own and everything else is junk. The staff there was knowledgeable and friendly and willing to let me play with a multitude of their products. The store itself is clean and bright, well organized and has a large assortment of Hunting Gear and gun accessories. I'm sure if they don't have what you are looking for they can get it for you at a reasonable price. As for their Gun Pricing, it was very reasonable, they weren't marking XD's and Glock at $550 like some gun stores do (which is one of my Pet Peeves) None of the prices looked out of line at all and were very reasonable.

Another advantage, they have a Gunsmith on site. While today was his day off, Chad (The Gunsmith) came into the store to check out the new Ruger as well. Even though it was his day off, he helped out another customer and also spent 20 minutes with me talking about some work I want to get done on my new Springfield 1911 GI. He even let me check out the trigger job on two of his personally owned firearms (A S&W 44 Mag and an STI 1911 that he has tricked out into a Race gun). He even let me check out the trigger job on two of his personally owned firearms, S&W 44 Mag (With a DA Pull that was smooth as silk) and an STI 1911 that he has tricked out into a Race gun with a trigger pull that had to be about 2 lbs and broke like glass. I think I'll be taking my 1911 to him real soon for some new sights and a trigger job.

The store itself is clean and bright, well organized and has a large assortment of Hunting Gear and gun accessories. I'm sure if they don't have what you are looking for they can get it for you at a reasonable price. I would recommend everyone head over there at some point and take a look.

On a side note, since I was there, they had a nice little new S&W 22a target pistol that I picked up for my son and I to plink with.

[Stock Photo, but it looks just like this]

[​IMG]
    I walked out with this and 200 rounds of CCI Copper Coated Hollow Points, for under $240 including Tax.

The only down side is their location relative to me, Since they are in Canton and I don't get that way very often, so now I will have to plan my trips over there, but I will be going back and look forward to many future purchases there. I recommend anyone out that way stop in and check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.

2. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

The next time you drop by, please have them call me about my .30-40 Krag that the smith is working on. They have my card. I can't get them on the phone and my e-mails are being bounced back. Thanks.

In fact, we might drop by this afternoon/evening on our way up to the mountains.

3. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

They are having IP problems at the store.

4. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I got my Krag back from Big Woods Goods last Sunday. I'm about dehydrated from drooling all week. It looks and operates fantastic. It's never, since I took ownership, worked so smooth. For $75 I can't say enough about the job they did. I also can not wait to get out to a rifle range somewhere and shoot it.

I'll be taking my Mauser to them in January (after I pick it up from Mom's at Christmas), and probably going to see them for some Ruger 7/22 solutions.

5. blackplague14

blackplague14 Guest

My kids and I stopped by there today. Nice store with good prices and decent selection. Larger holster selection than most of the other local places.

I picked up a bore snake, and they are ordering in some 357 mag hunting ammo for me.

They were really cool with the kids, unlike some other gun shops I've been in. They've got an area with hunting toys and air soft. Gave my 8 year old some good-natured ribbing about his 6" high mohawk. Seem like really nice folks.

Jon

6. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I just went by there today at lunch when a truck pulled up and they were unloading a lot of GOODS! :shock: Shawn let me look at a few things they were checking in. He had an bunch of FNs and shot guns and lots of ammo. He said Bill was going to have a sale pretty soon but he didn't go into details. So look out for any deals. Let me know if anybody goes up there if they have sale on .223. Man I wanted to jump in that truck and play. :D

7. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Will Big Woods Goods be open on Monday? I've got this Mauser... :wink:

8. Bushhogs

Bushhogs New Member

We will be open on Monday. I (Bill) will not be there as we are going to another Distributor show to pick up more new toys that will be coming in over the next few weeks. So if you got some money that is just burning a hole in your pocket, stop by and give us a price check.

For the turkey hunters we just got in a bunch of shotguns for you to look at and we have all Berretta shotguns at 5% off.

I will also be running some good sales (don’t know what they are yet) this year and I will let you guys/gals know about them a few day in advance before I advertise them.

Thanks for all you support.

Bill
    Big Woods Goods

9. rbstern

rbstern New Member

Mail ordered from Big Woods Goods last year. Price, service and product all excellent.

I plan to give them a chance at some of my firearms business, even though it's a bit of a haul for me. I want to support good dealers.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics of the store. I can see that Big Woods Goods is addressing one of the pet peeves I have about gun stores. All of the guns are easy to see, and the price tags are big and oriented so that you can read them. Too many stores don't care if you can see the price tag.

10. M249

M249 New Member

:-k I think I need to take my Garand and have 'em give it a good once-over.

11. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Oh no, they care. The make sure to keep the price hidden until you have it in your hands. Makes for an easier sale if the customer is holding it and likes what he feels.

12. rbstern

rbstern New Member

Yep, that's a fair enough point.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Big Woods Goods is also a sponsor of GCO.

14. zone

zone Guest

For me this store is close. I buy all of my paper targets from their. I have bought some holsters and ammo their also. Prices are reasonable. Good assortment of hunting stuff too.

15. Claire

Claire New Member

I brought my Mark II pistol to them in a million pieces - their smith/Chad cleaned it up and reassembled. It looked awesome! I was very happy

the trigger wasn't taken apart in 20yrs
    it was due for an overhaul :lol:

16. InalienablyGreek

InalienablyGreek New Member

Good guys. Getting some work done on my 1911.

17. Eagle Crest

Eagle Crest New Member

Good guys in there. in the past month i have bought a 44 magnum and an HK compact. I was in there yesterday and made the comment that just about everytime I have been in the store i have left with a gun. They got an AR ive got my eye on now. Im gonna get a divorce if i keep going. anyway very impressed with the store and the people. its nice to be able to go into a place and joke aaround with the guys casue they are not so uptight. I feel that i have found a long time gunshop.

18. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Where is this place?

19. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

20. RedStang

RedStang New Member

Picked up a Ruger SR9 there this afternoon! Great shop. I didn't have the time to chat but everyone was very helpful and friendly. I did have a little time to browse before someone was free to help though. Prices are clearly displayed but I have too little experience to say how good they were. The SR9 price was dead on with a couple other shops I called though. Big Woods Goods got mybusiness because of their sponsirship of the GCO and the previous reviews posted here.

Thanks for a smooth transaction!

Jason