Big Sis and WalMart: “If You See Something, Say Something"

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by smn, Dec 6, 2010.

1. smn

smn Active Member

I don't know how much longer the link will be active, but here: http://drudgereport.com/flash2n.htm
    DHS.gov link: http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1291648380371.shtm

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I guess they didn't want to use the word Snitching. Kinda gives the warm fuzzy feelings of the holidays.

Is this something that the public is not doing now?

3. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

What exactly is wrong with this???
    We tell people that all the time, call us if you see something that doesn't look right....
    Is it the fact JN is doing it?? WalMart??
    We can't do our jobs at all without the cooperation of the public, whether it is burglary suppression or fugitive hunting.
    I don't understand the controversy

4. mountainpass

I wonder if Walmart is under some sort of threat.

That video feels a little 1984.

5. mountainpass

I don't know exactly but the idea that this video is going to be playing while I shop is surreal.

6. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

they have missing persons videos at our WalMart....
    I would have thought we supported reporting criminal activity to law enforcement.......

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Sheriff, I think it's that we expect people to use common sense; if they see something suspicious then they should report it. Unfortunately, these days people seem inclined to ........ shall we say, not use their cognitive abilities to the utmost, and report almost anything. Plastic figurines on bridges to point to a recent case.

Lots of people see something every day, but I'd much rather have the people sworn to uphold the law and protect the citizenry responding to something credible rather than "... I saw something, there was this guy walking around WallyWorld with a bulge under his jacket. He didn't do anything except shop, but I thought you might want to check him out."

Let us not forget the target audience - - -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I do this for a living.....
    have ANY idea how many times two or three days AFTER a burglary a neighbor will FINALLY tell us that they SAW XYZ vehicle backed up to their neighbors door, but didn't know what to do???
    Or witness a hit and run, only to tell us 5 days later that they wrote the tag number down but lost the piece of paper.....or witness a guy running up to a parked pick up truck full of a working mans tools, steal a couple of saws out of the bed, hop into a waiting vehicle, and ONLY tell us about it two hours later??????????????????
    I doubt I need to be told how people act when they witness criminal activity......some of it is total crap...we KNOW that.
    Some of it is incredibly valuable, we KNOW that as well.....
    But to grind on WalMart for the videos, well, I just want to truly understand what is wrong with it.

9. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I think this quote pretty much illustrates it all. When is the last time you saw an "indicator of terrorism" at WalMart?

Young, male Muslim pushing cart loaded down with fuel oil and fertilizer?
    How about a few sticks of dynamite cleverly concealed beneath 50%-off clearance clothing?

Hmmm... it just struck me "other threats to law enforcement authorities" Really now, the authorities??
    WTF ever happened to "other threats to the American Citizen?"

Maybe it was a Freudian slip and they revealed what their true concern was, ya think?

10. JMan

JMan New Member

Yup 90% of calls saying something looks odd is most of the time false But the 10% you catch indeed is help from the public . And if you didn't get those calls well those criminals will be on the street still .

11. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

discounting the rather ridiculous "terrorism" part of that comment, is reporting crime a worthwhile activity????
    Since different jurisdictions have different types of Law Enforcement Agencies (Tribal Police, City Police, County Police, State Police, Sheriff's Office, Constables to name a few) coming up with a word that fits all those things might be "authorities".....

12. mountainpass

Do I need to be hounded wherever I go by the government to do what most reasonable folks already do. It's like the local news telling me to "steer into the direction of the skid," everytime it might snow, except now it's playing over and over while I shop.

What's next while I'm pumping gas...getting my hair cut...visiting my favorite hiking trail....being felt up before boarding a plane.....I get it already, I'm vigilant now let me have some peace.

13. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

of course not, you can choose to shop somewhere else.....I am certain WalMart understands that if this costs them money it would go away.....
    You aren't suggesting that the feds FORCED this on Walmart are you???
    If WalMart didn't want it, it wouldn't be in their stores....

14. JMan

JMan New Member

Indeed

15. mountainpass

Well that is an interesting idea. Class action decision tomorrow by the SC....maybe unionization coming...Maybe not forced.....

Anyway yes, free country, agreed.

16. JMan

JMan New Member

Just WOW

17. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

I think your first inclination hit the nail on the head Sheriff.

18. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I need evidencebefore I am willing to believe WalMart is buying themselves out of unionization by letting DHS to a video at their checkouts.....

19. Liberty.45ACP

Liberty.45ACP Member

I think a big part of the problem with this is that the DHS has labeled virtually everyone on GPDO as potential terrorist. We speak out against the wisdom of "our betters" in the FedGov. We are obviously mentally impaired in view of our desire to be armed...

As to Walmart being forced... Well, perhaps they were just helped along to see how it would be to their benefit. I wouldn't put anything beyond DHS - anything. I truly believe they are a far greater threat to the lives of US citizens everyday than any terrorist. Seems that the DHS & TSA are doing plenty of terrorizing on their own.