Big Gun v Little Gun

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Nemo, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Thoughts gents? My EDC is a S&W 5906.

Nemo

http://www.offthegridnews.com/self-...a-full-sized-pistol-instead-of-a-compact-one/

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Same opinions, different day. :deadhorse:

3. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

My preference is to carry my g17 or 1911.

My practical reality is that the only office dress code friendly and still easy to access from concealment option is the LCP that lives in my back pocket, and a iwb g43 on casual Fridays. I can rapid fire empty the LCP, one handed from the hip, inside the 9 ring at 15 feet, so I'm comfortable with it.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've been using my HK P30sk as primary carry, and my Ruger LC9S for to and from the office.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think points one and two in the article are valid. Higher magazine capacity and better recoil control which means tighter groups during rapid fire shooting .

In my experience a full-size pistol is also much more accurate when shooting one handed compare to a lightweight pistol. Short lightweight guns seem to do well one- handed when you are dry firing them, but when you're actually doing controlled pairs or a rapid fire five shot group into a target, I find that a big gun is smoother and falls back into place easier.

I don't think #3 is worth much. Who cares about trying to consolidate everything into one gun that does it all? I'm just fine with having a deep concealment lightweight and easy to carry gun, as well as a medium to large sized gun for when I want maximum firepower and I am willing to put up with the heavy or bulky or weapon.

I would add a third advantage of a full-size gun for daily carry is its performance at 25 to 50 yards. I struggle to hit man-size targets reliably beyond 25 yards with a compact gun, but it's no challenge at all with a 4" to 5 inch barreled pistol.

If you happen to be the one armed a good guy in proximity to a jihadist or lunatic going on a public massacre, your only shot at that adversary may be beyond 25 yards. If you have to take the time to run up to get within 20 yards to do your shooting, more innocent people may die while you're closing the distance .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. gunsmoker

Notwithstanding the above post. I carry a small handgun more often then I carry a medium or large sized one.
    The S&W .38 snubby gets carried 80% of the time. A compact 9mm with 12 + 1 capacity and a 3.3" barrel is my carry gun 15% of the time, and the other 5% is equally split between a 32 caliber mouse gun and a full sized Springfield XD9 that holds 16 rounds in the mag.

7. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I pick the in between option, a compact that still packs more rounds. My EDC is XDM .45 with 9 round or 13 round mag, 3.8 inch barrel that does everything I need in a full size in terms of accuracy (for my purposes anyway), but in a small enough package that I can conceal the gun in almost anything I wear.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The more important question is why aren't you carrying, period.

Poor horse.

9. Nemo

But still fun and worthwhile to discuss because there may be a new donkey in line.

Nemo

10. gunsmoker

the other day I did a quick trip to the shooting range.
    I only brought 2 guns. A 22 rifle and a .357 revolver. A big one, with a 6" barrel.

Guess what I made my "carry gun" for all that day, and my "nightstand" gun that night?
    Yeah, the .357.
    So, I'll do either the big gun or the little gun. Both have their place, depending on circumstances.

11. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Big people carry big guns, small people carry small guns.

Usually.

12. Nemo

Keep in mind there are some small men who wear big thinking it would add to their studliness. I don't know if it worked for them but made mine feel better and more reasoanable.

So I believe. And if I believe it it must be true, right!

Nemo