Big Game Hunting

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by seereus, Dec 21, 2010.

1. seereus

seereus Active Member

I have a nephew that is currently on the way back from Texas where he killed a Buffalo at a game ranch. Needless to say Buffalo
    meat is in my immediate future, currently in Louisiana and heading this way.

He wants to hunt bigger game such as Elk or Moose.

Anyone know of any places he can bag such a beast that is not fenced in such as a game ranch?

Lodges or guided trips or even federal land he can hunt.

ETA: Budget of about $1500/$2000

2. pml

pml Active Member

Lot of elk in Colorado, New Mexico, less in a lot of other states. NM is the hot spot for big bull elk. Some good hunting in Wyoming as well.

No shortage of guides and public land in CO, I have hunted there twice, got nothing--should have though. We were self-guided on public land. From what I have read, a guided hunt starts about $3000 - 3500, plus tag.

You do some research on the CO DNR site, pick a game unit and a season (first rifle, archery, etc. The term "season" is relative--they last from 5 to roughly 10 days each) and enter the tag lottery in April. A cow tag is roughly $350 and a bull is about $550. There is no guarantee that you will land a bull or an either-sex-tag, but don't wait until the June draw to start getting in shape. Hunting in CO at >8000' is not for the foolish. People get lost out there, and the game law enforcement is unmerciful. However, the scenery is unbelievable and the experience will be unforgettable.

I'll speak generally for moose, as I have never done it. A CO moose tag, non-resident, is well over $1800. I doubt it is easy to get a moose tag in any state that you are not a resident. Good luck, and if you would like some links, PM me.

3. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Buffs are bigger than elk or moose! (Non-resident moose draws are few and far between.)

Lots of National Forest in Wyoming! But some you must hire a guide and you are coming up on tags draws for NEXT fall.

4. seereus

seereus Active Member

This evening I have learned that:

#1. Buffalo is good raw.

#2. Buffalo steak, 1" thick, Medium Rare is better.

#3. Buffalo steak only gets better when followed with a Buffalo burger.

#4. Buffalo Jerky is currently in the dehydrator.

#5. Looking online I have determined at market price I have gobbled up about $200 in buffalo this evening.

#6. Free is always better.

5. hkdave

hkdave New Member

My uncle did some Moose hunting a few years back in Utah, I believe it was national forest property and it was something like a lotto for a tag? Fees were fairly high... but it wasn't fenced. I did go scout the area with him and we camped and hiked for 2 days before continuing on. Ran into several Elk/Moose just hiking around and were very close once when we walked over a ridge. Can be very dangerous!

6. Galactic

Galactic New Member

A moose bit my sister once.

Moose bites can be very nasty... :)

7. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

Priceless

8. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER New Member

Not sure about where to go. But I had some "elk medallions" best steak I have ever had!

9. seereus

seereus Active Member

Its only getting better.
    I just got a delivery of 4lbs of Axis Deer tenderloin and a hind quarter.

I like this kind of hunting. :lol:

10. Viking

Viking New Member

The deer up north (not even mulies, the white tails) make the ones in my backyard look like dogs. You can go to all different parts of the west/Midwest and find big game, including elk. I love bison and used to stop at a place as a kid and eat a bison burger in S.D.

Moose and elk meet is really low fat. Ever seen it raw?

11. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

Interested in a new friend? I would like to try the bison and Axis deer.