Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,149 Posts
The State of Georgia bought Stone Mountain and chartered the public corporation in charge of operating it specifically for the purpose of having it as a memorial to the Confederacy.
I would assume that all members of the board of the Stone Mountain Memorial Association have to take an oath of loyalty, to the law and to their corporate charter. So then, their trying to erase or close the Confederate Memorial(s) would be a violation of their oath of office, which is itself a crime.

That being said, the State of Georgia's interest in preserving memorials to the Confederate cause was strong in the 1950s, and is very weak today. It is an unpopular position & I would not mind if the State withdrew its support for any Confederate memorials, but if it does so, it should first offer the Stone Mountain property to private groups who wish to purchase it and operate it as a memorial to the antebellum South, the Confederacy, and the Southerners who fought (and civilians who suffered ) during the Civil War.

If no private groups of Southern heritage advocates are able or willing to buy the property at fair value, then let it be remodeled as the current values of our society dictate.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Continued appeasement of Democrats won't win them any votes from the Dems. What are they thinking?
The same thing Joe Stalin thought. Just erase whatever history and/or people are bothering you and your agendas.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Something tells me Pastor Abraham Mosely isn't an ardent fan of the Confederacy or has any significant desire to memorialize it. Whaddya think they are going to replace the carving with?
Monday’s meeting was the first chaired by Rev. Abraham Mosley, who was tapped last week as the association’s first Black chairman after serving on its board of directors since 2019. Mosley said the exhibit and relocation proposals mark a “good start” to address widespread problems with the park.

"You can't get there overnight," Mosley said after Monday's meeting. "If you're going to walk a mile, you've got to take that first step."
"A good start." "You can't get there overnight." "If you're going to walk a mile..." Sounds like Rev Mosley might be a little overzealous with his new position.

·
Cross-drawer
7,193 Posts
I love that area up there. Sometimes we go up and drive around all day exploring. Much history in that area. Not far away the Ogeechee River looks like a river you would see well up in the mountains full of rock and large boulders. Jewell Mills and Mayfield are historical places in the area as well. Worth a day trip if you are near the area. Pack a lunch.
This is my house.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
This is my house.
Well dang I knew you had property up there but was not aware that jewel is yours. Been right by there a bunch. Hate it about the lightning strike. Porch begged for a swing.

Reactions: Savannah Dan

·
68,665 Posts
This is my house.

That's really neat. I don't even want to know what "sensitive restoration and stabilization work" costs.

·
Super Moderator
7,123 Posts
"Marriott, which operates the park's main hotel, has decided not to renew its contract for next year. "

There's a stunner. Getting out while the getting is good.

Reactions: Savannah Dan

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just blow the mountain down and turn it into a rock quarry. We always need gravel for roads and walks. To heck with history, art work, recreation, etc. Flatten it (and then keep going until it’s a deep hole), sell off the gravel, and turn a tidy profit for the state.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just blow the mountain down and turn it into a rock quarry. We always need gravel for roads and walks. To heck with history, art work, recreation, etc. Flatten it (and then keep going until it’s a deep hole), sell off the gravel, and turn a tidy profit for the state.
At least excavate it deep enough so part of it can be repurposed as an action shooting facility.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,957 Posts
I don't know about that. They could get those boys down at Warrenton that blast those granite quarries to do it in short order. If you've ever seen what they blast at one time and how quick they do it you would be amazed. The face of that area would be smooth as a babies ass. BTW if I remember my college geology correctly those quarries are the southern most point of the same formation that is Stone Mountain.
Those blasts aren't 700,000 cubic meters of granite, located 500ft in the air, overlooking a public park. $$$

If they stop maintaining it it's gone in a few years, covered with lichens, mosses, and eventually vines and other growth.
I have a one word refutation: Kudzu.
It must take a lot of work to keep the whole mountain clean. If they quit it'll just be another 350-500 million years and it'll all be covered with lichens, mosses, and eventually vines and other growth...

Reactions: Clark
21 - 31 of 31 Posts