Better to land an airplane right-side-up

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by cpelliott, Jan 11, 2011.

1. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

And the Pilot Walked Away
    I didn't realize they put airbags in planes. I'm no expert, but I think it is better to land an airplane right side up.

On further reading in a second article the plane must have landed right side up and flipped on landing. Sound more reasonable.

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

You know what they say: Any landing you can walk away from...

3. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

If you can walk away it was a good landing.
    If you can walk away and they can use the plane again it was a great landing. :)

4. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

It will buff out.

5. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

That plane looks like it cartwheeled at least once due to all the twisted and mangled body parts. One wing looks almost ripped off.

Just wow. The student pilot appears to be extremely lucky. I don't think they will be using that one again. Maybe parts of it on other planes.

6. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i ... 4527&key=1

Personally I would like to know the position of the trim control. Almost sounds as if she did not/could not release the full nose up trim on the go-around- causing the nose to pitch up with full power.

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

What sort of CFI approves touch-n-goes for a student pilot?! Not that that had much to do with her accident. The decision to go around is usually lost on new pilots and going around in her case is preferred, but she screwed the pooch somehow.

8. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

9. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Been around for many years, nothing new.

10. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

I was allowed to do them in 1974. My instructor was a Navy Lt. Cmdr.

11. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Well in modern times ( :D ), signing off a student to do touch-n-goes while solo is a sure way to get flogged by the FAA should someone (like the woman in the OP) bend a prop.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

13. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I'd REALLY want to know what happened there. For the kind of flying a student pilot should be doing, it's hard to imagine f*cking up a landing that badly.

14. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Yeah I know but I wonder how many reports are made from actual touch-and -go accidents?

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp