Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
AV8R said:
You know what they say: Any landing you can walk away from...
If you can walk away it was a good landing.
If you can walk away and they can use the plane again it was a great landing. :)

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
It will buff out.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
cpelliott said:
And the Pilot Walked Away
I didn't realize they put airbags in planes. I'm no expert, but I think it is better to land an airplane right side up.

On further reading in a second article the plane must have landed right side up and flipped on landing. Sound more reasonable.
That plane looks like it cartwheeled at least once due to all the twisted and mangled body parts. One wing looks almost ripped off.

Just wow. The student pilot appears to be extremely lucky. I don't think they will be using that one again. Maybe parts of it on other planes.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i ... 4527&key=1

NTSB Identification: WPR10CA233
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, May 08, 2010 in Lake Havasu City, AZ
Probable Cause Approval Date: 7/22/2010
Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-235, registration: N918JR
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
The student pilot was on a local training flight. After flying about 1 hour in the practice area, she returned to the airport to perform touch-and-go takeoffs and landings. The reported winds at the time of the accident were 200 at 4 knots. During the approach to runway 32, she felt that a crosswind blew the airplane to the left. Landing in this position would have resulted in excessive stress to the left main landing gear. The student pilot initiated a go-around, applying full power and turning off carburetor heat. She indicated that at this point, an updraft pushed the airplane nose up and the airplane stalled. The student pilot attempted to recover from the stall; however, the "controls were sloppy and the airplane was not responding." The airplane came to rest inverted.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The student pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control during a go-around, resulting in a stall/mush.
Personally I would like to know the position of the trim control. Almost sounds as if she did not/could not release the full nose up trim on the go-around- causing the nose to pitch up with full power.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
What sort of CFI approves touch-n-goes for a student pilot?! Not that that had much to do with her accident. The decision to go around is usually lost on new pilots and going around in her case is preferred, but she screwed the pooch somehow.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
AV8R said:
What sort of CFI approves touch-n-goes for a student pilot?! Not that that had much to do with her accident. The decision to go around is usually lost on new pilots and going around in her case is preferred, but she screwed the pooch somehow.
Been around for many years, nothing new.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
AV8R said:
What sort of CFI approves touch-n-goes for a student pilot?!
I was allowed to do them in 1974. My instructor was a Navy Lt. Cmdr.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Well in modern times ( :D ), signing off a student to do touch-n-goes while solo is a sure way to get flogged by the FAA should someone (like the woman in the OP) bend a prop.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I'd REALLY want to know what happened there. For the kind of flying a student pilot should be doing, it's hard to imagine f*cking up a landing that badly.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
AV8R said:
Well in modern times ( :D ), signing off a student to do touch-n-goes while solo is a sure way to get flogged by the FAA should someone (like the woman in the OP) bend a prop.
Yeah I know but I wonder how many reports are made from actual touch-and -go accidents?

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts