Best way to store gun powder?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Claire, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

I want to reload shotgun shells again

when I did back in the day - I was in an apt.
    I emptied a coat closet
    put the keg of powder on the shelf and didn't think twice

now I own my house and was wondering what a safe storage would be?

I have a work bench in the garage
    attached the reloader to the work bench

furnace & water heater are at the other end of the garage/basement
    only thing I need to pay attention to is not smoking when I reload

so when I'm not reloading where or in what should I store the powder in?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That'd be a question I'd like an answer to, as well. I'm thinking about getting into it.

3. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

4. Claire

Claire New Member

So next to my stone grinder & propane torch in the garage isn't a good idea hahaha

those cabinets are cool - they prob go for a cool price too

5. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I just did a quick search for an example for you. I think Northern on 41 has some for a decent price.

6. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I've read that you should use a "sturdy wood enclosure" for powder and reloading supplies. Smokeless powder is not an explosive, but it will cause an explosion if it's tightly contained and your house catches fire. A properly designed wood cabinet will expand or blow apart at a much lower pressure than a metal storage locker (unless the locker is modified with a lot of holes to relieve pressure).

Is your primary concern keeping hands off the powder (kinds, etc) or fire safety? Either way, Macktee had a post (quite a while ago, and I can't find it) about a component storage box that he built. Maybe he can chime in here and repeat the info :D

Personally, my powder is sitting out in the open, on my bench. It's away from ignition sources and it's not stored near other highly combustable materials (paint, thinner, etc). I only keep a couple of pounds on hand though (pistol loading only right now). I am planning on building a storage cabinet iin the future, after I decide which powder and primers to buy in bulk. I'm going to try and make it seriously fire resistant (insulated with fire brick) and secure (metal frame, plywood construction, limited access, etc.).

7. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Cave Diver is right on, and the BATFE actually publishes a list of requirements.
    http://www.info-central.org/regulatory/orangebook/

Basically, wood container or cabinet type apparatus, with the back wall being thinner than the rest (designed to blow out to relieve pressure.) I figure the wood is also better at not trapping moisture. At the moment, there's a wooden "drawer" underneath my workbench that I put it in to keep it out of sunlight. No kids to play that low though.

8. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

Good info, thanks.