Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a professional keyboard warrior who spends many, many hours per day programming for a living. My chair is starting to drive me nuts and am I thinking about looking for a replacement on a budget. Some of best chairs look like they will cost as much as a new gun, but would at least be tax deductible!

Do you guys have any favorites?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've been lucky for the past 5.5 years with 2 different companies who furnished Herman Miller Aerons for their code monkeys.

They're not cheap.....but they're so common, I would think they can be found used or re-furbished for a good discount.

The only problem is their nylon weave eats through jeans. But I'm over-weight and shift a lot so that might have something to do with it. I've also completed my Buns of Steel Vol 2 tape hundreds of times and wear my jeans 2 sizes too small to show off that fact so it's not like my Calvin Kleins really ever had a chance.

But Aerons are comfy and highly adjustable. I wouldn't want to spend hours coding in anything else.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've already decided my next chair will be investing in a Herman-Miller Aeron. I've sat in every chair that's available at every office supply store in my area. There is nothing that feels even remotely as nice as the Aeron. There is a place in Buckhead called Artlite that has every version possible, and the cheapest that I have seen new. Plan on getting out between $900-$1k if you get one new.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
I even like the threads about poo more interesting than chairs....just sayin'....:)

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
My company provided top of the line Herman Miller's in our offices, but to be completely honest with you, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on an office chair. They're comfortable, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a chair I want it to have a built-in coffee machine, toilet, back massager, and... for what it's worth... be able to do all my work for me.

What are you looking to spend and what features are you want most in a chair?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
ive got some kind of Sealy chair it has memory foam and its very wide so i can get up and down easily with my gun holstered etc

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,405 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@MyFred, Hah! Sorry they cannot all be so thrilling. :D

The Herman Miller Aerons area really, really nice. I remember enjoying them quite a bit while a graduate student - no wonder tutition was so high :lol:

As far as price range, it depends. I could decide to get a really nice chair and start a sinking fund for it for the next 8-12 months. However, that might be going too much for a want instead of a need. Technically my current chair can work. It got a lot better after applying some WD40 to it and cleaning things out.

If I had to buy something next month, I would be willing to spend up to about $250.

@ drtybykr The Office Designs website is interesting. I never thought I would see an offering for "Certified Pre-Owned" office furniture. That's an amazing marketing feat! Thanks for finding that one.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm a video editor. Sit in all kinds of really stupid expensive seats.

Aeron = win. (Aeron look-a-likes = FAIL)

I found the one for my SOHO used for about $450 as I remember. Tax-deductible, you know. ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Another vote - herman miller aeron. Refurb ~$450.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Editingfx said:
I'm a video editor. Sit in all kinds of really stupid expensive seats.

Aeron = win. (Aeron look-a-likes = FAIL)

I found the one for my SOHO used for about $450 as I remember. Tax-deductible, you know. ;)
Same here..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

This one's pretty decent for the money. Sam's Club - $130. Rather than get a $500 chair that I have to use for 6 years, I'd rather buy 2 or 3 $130 chairs, one every couple of years, so that I'd always have a fairly new chair most of the time. Of course, this chair's lasted me a good 4 years, although it's looking beat up. Finally, last month, the base plate broke*. I called the company and they sent me a new one and the chair lift for free. Fixed her right up.

*Caveat: I weigh more than the chair's rated for, so I suppose I'm rough on the chair. I'm also in it 8+ hrs a day, while working. Which is probably why I weigh more than it's rated for. It's a vicious cycle!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
None. The treaddesk: http://www.treaddesk.com/

I set up a standing desk a couple years ago because I got sick of my back hurting when I sat down all day.

I took it one step further last year and used an old treadmill from craigslist and now I walk, slowly, while I work 10+ hour days at the computer. Back/Neck pain is gone and you avoid the health problems associates with sitting. Perfect solution. Also, you burn about an extra 700 calories every day.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well, I gotta say I've had my (used) Aeron for 10 years, and it's still going strong. Dust it & that's it.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Here's my problem: I lean back in my chair, as far back as it'll go. After a year or two of this, either the metal or the welds on the bracket that bolts the seat body to the swivel mechanism fails. I weigh 230; I'm working on that, but I don't think that's an unreasonable load for a decent office chair. I've had enough of the Wal-Mart/OfficeMax made in China versions that keep breaking.

Where can I get a real, solidly constructed chair that can handle tipping back without breaking? I don't want one of the meshy designs. I want a full high back (not "mid-back") design with full padded armrests and good, thick padding. I like leather but cloth is okay too. The main thing is that the base is made out of a higher quality metal with decent welds that will last forever, or at least many years. Ideally it'd be obtainable locally and under $500. Does such a thing exist?

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
I've read some pretty good reviews on Liberty by Humanscale office chairs. There is some mesh, but they say it's supposed to contour to your back better and make for a really comfortable recline. Haven't sat in one, but you might consider researching them a little more:

http://www.madisonseating.com/liberty-task-chair-by-humanscale.html

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
GoDores said:
Here's my problem: I lean back in my chair, as far back as it'll go. After a year or two of this, either the metal or the welds on the bracket that bolts the seat body to the swivel mechanism fails. I weigh 230; I'm working on that, but I don't think that's an unreasonable load for a decent office chair. I've had enough of the Wal-Mart/OfficeMax made in China versions that keep breaking.

Where can I get a real, solidly constructed chair that can handle tipping back without breaking? I don't want one of the meshy designs. I want a full high back (not "mid-back") design with full padded armrests and good, thick padding. I like leather but cloth is okay too. The main thing is that the base is made out of a higher quality metal with decent welds that will last forever, or at least many years. Ideally it'd be obtainable locally and under $500. Does such a thing exist?
If you want a serious chair, you need to call a real office furniture company, like CWC or Corporate Environments.

I see your aversion to "mesh," but the Aeron chair really is the best chair on the market. Unlike cheap chairs, the mesh design is extremely supportive, and it also breathes so that your backside doesn't get hot.

If you like the way a high-back traditional chair looks, then go for one. But if you want a chair designed to best support a sitting human body, get an Aeron.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts