Best Friend's Grandparents Robbed in Their Home at GunPoint

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by EJR914, Jan 24, 2011.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

My best friend's grandparents were robbed at gun point today in there Atlanta home.

Please pray for them as they are very shaken up by all of this. Luckily they were not harmed and the perp only wanted cash, jewelry and their car.

Apparently, they walked in from lunch and forgot to lock the door. He followed in right behind them, pulled the gun and told them he just wanted cash and jewelry.

They found their car (thanks to On Star) and the police have already impounded the car.

It appears the grandparents were not armed and were completely caught off-guard.

If there is a story written about it, I'll try and post it. Thank you.

Edit for clarity.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Thank God they were not harmed. You think now they might want to be armed?

3. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Sorry to hear the bad news. Was this metro Atlanta or in the city of Atlanta?

4. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Sad to hear this. Desperate times I guess? :shock:

I lock the door when I leave, and when I am home. Learned that lesson a long time ago.
    We have security pushing the buttons on the telephone poles to let their bosses know they are making rounds. Wouldn't trust them to pick up trash.

Glad they are "okay".

May the perp be found and punished.

5. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

I'm glad they're alright. Maybe he left prints in the car and the cops will catch him quick before he can repeat it on someone else. Yep, times are hard so this type of crimes will become more common. Once again I'm glad they weren't hurt.

6. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

sounds like they got caught completely off guard. I'm glad they're ok. I'm wondering if they would have been armed if this would've escalated?

7. EJR914

I just got clarification and it appears where their home is would be considered Metro Atlanta.

8. EJR914

No, I talked to them about this, and they just said the feel that having a firearm would have just escalated the problem. Like I told them, if you're CC you don't have to pull the firearm. That's the great thing about being concealed.

9. Phil1979

Hopefully, they'll come to understand that escalation is not a bad thing in and of itself, especially if they have the ability to protect themselves. Remind them that even if they're unarmed, criminals will often escalate the situation anyway. Not all robberies end with just property being taken. The elderly too, are sometimes beaten, raped, and murdered. How someone could live decades on this planet and not know this is beyond me. I guess they do know, but like many people, it's the blissful denial that "it couldn't happen to me".

10. EJR914

I tried, it fell on deaf ears, some people will just never be able to understand self-protection. They think its better to live in a world where they live in blissful denial that "it can never happen to me" even after it happens to them. I guess they are now saying, "well it can't happen twice" now? Right, since it already happened once to them.

I just don't what else to say to get it through to them. Some people just prefer pacifism, because I guess they think its more honorable to die while being compliant with the armed robber's demands, then to actually pull your own weapon and use it in rightful self-defense. I'll never understand this "ostrich" pacifist mindsight.

11. livesounder

livesounder New Member

QFT

12. Nate223

Nate223 New Member

I'm glad to hear that they are Ok. My parents are the same way. They think that it can't happen to them and question why I carry where ever I legally can. Hopefully the people that did this will get caught somehow.

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I've only known one person, formerly labeled as a "sheeple", who finally asked me for my opinion on a good pocket carry 9mm. Most will remain in denial until they die. Let's hope not prematurely.

I'm glad these folks are in good shape. Remind them that they are now labeled as "easy marks', and the perps will come back! It's very predictable. Crooks need to keep the money flowing for their drug habit, their laziness, or anything else illegal or unethical, and they're going to return to places that have scored in the past. They're like "tree rats" coming to a bird feeder. I bump them off every day!

You've done your part. Don't feel bad when their deaths show up in the news.

14. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Was this over on the Decatur/Northlake area? I saw this report in our neighborhood e-mail lists. Car was found in Lithonia?

15. Phil1979

Nate, tell your parents it's better to be a Sheepdog than a Sheep. Ask your dad if he could watch his wife get raped and murdered because he CHOSE to be unarmed. Tell them when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Sometimes ya gotta give a little tough love. But parents are notorious for not listening to their children, because they are "older and wiser". Bah! Age by itself does not impart wisdom.

Pacifism is a herd mentality. When predators attack, they usually get only one or two victims, and then the herd goes on about its business just glad it wasn't them. Till the next attack. You see it every time a crime happens in a neighborhood that hadn't seen crime for awhile. Someone on TV will be wide-eyed saying, "We thought this was a SAFE neighborhood!" Well duh, just because you had a lull in crime doesn't mean things are "safe". Safety does not exist in a vacuum. Safety is a philosophy that is upheld by how one lives. Are you protective of your life and those you love, and thereby take steps to keep yourself and yours safe to the BEST of your ability? Or do you just want to graze like sheep, and trust that hired sheep dogs (the police) will protect you?

Of course, the odds of an individual being seriously injured, raped, or murdered in their lifetime is fairly low. But it still happens to people every single day in every single state. Just as every single day in the jungle, the lions take their antelope, buffalo, etc...

The sad irony is, even the animal prey have some effective weapons such as horns and hooves, and once in a while escape the lion. The sheeple just cling to their phones breathlessly crying to the 911 operator to send help. Riiiiight.

Give this to your parents to read if you like. If you do, let me know what they say.