Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Best CC Setup

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  budder 
#1 ·
I would like to know a good cc method that is not IWB. I guess this would be the best way to conceal almost any pistol or revolver but I don't want to buy pants just for that. :lol: I would like to know if there is a good method for cc'ing that you can use for whatever you are wearing without any special accommodations.

#4 ·
Compact or midsize pistol (think Glock 19 or Glock 26) in a very forward-canted pancake holster. I love the Galco Side Snap Scabbard - it snaps on and off easily, and it canted more steeply than typical. I can wear it under anything except a tucked-in shirt, and unless he is playing golf a grown man should wear a jacket with a tucked shirt anyway :)

#5 ·
Lurch76 said:
I would like to know a good cc method that is not IWB. I guess this would be the best way to conceal almost any pistol or revolver but I don't want to buy pants just for that. :lol: I would like to know if there is a good method for cc'ing that you can use for whatever you are wearing without any special accommodations.
If you agree, and not everyone does, that strong-side carry is best, then your options become limited. OWB/CC, for me, is easier with a belt holster, which reduces the width compared to a paddle holster. My XDm40 conceals OWB in a Galco/forward-cant belt holster better than my XDscs in a paddle holster, because it hugs closer to my waist. Also, I can conceal very well in a paddle holster if I'm flexible on my outer garment hiding the printing with bagginess or thickness and colour. You mentioned wanting to wear clothing without special accomodations, and I'd like to know how also. I'm not sure it's possible, OWB.

I know you mentioned not wanting to have different pants, and I had the same concern. I can conceal IWB in any of my pants with a PF9 in a Kholster. I do need a little more room for the thicker XDs IWB, but not very much.

#6 ·
A high ride pancake holster with good cant usually works for me. I almost never tuck my shirt in though, and when I do I almost always wear a jacket.

It's pretty much impossible to conceal with a tucked in shirt and no cover garment unless you go IWB, Smart Carry, or pocket carry.

#10 ·
ChipM said:
budder said:
You should consider getting a hipgrip and carrying appendix. That should work with most clothing options and be fairly adjustable.
Isn't a hip grip IWB?
It can be carried OWB, but yes, I did mean it for IWB/inside the belt since it takes up a lot less space than a (standard) IWB holster.

#11 ·
Lurch76 said:
If I did go the IWB route, what size up would I need for pants? If I got the Supertuck which is one brand I looked at, how much more room do you need for an SP101 or even a XD just for comparison?
Not that much more room is needed, really, maybe just one waist size. Try out your new IWB rig with various pants, and go from there. I don't think I own any two pants that fit the same, but I have an idea of which slacks or jeans go alright with which rig. My more snug fitting pants won't work with the XDs carried IWB.

Edit to add: I can tuck-in a shirt IWB with the Kholster, and not print if it's not thin material and darker, and I give it a natural, comfortable tuck versus hospital-corners tight.

#12 ·
I use a bellyband for any CC, no matter what gun I'm carrying. If I need something small, for whatever reason, I'll carry a SIG P230. My full size is a P220. Both conceal and are perfectly comfortable with the bellyband. You can go crossdraw, 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, whatever. And it has a slot for extra magazine. Really not sure if it'd work for a revolver, though, as the only revolver I have is a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk in .357...not exactly a CC kinda gun.

When I had my PT145, I use a hybrid Kholster, which was pretty nice as well. It was just for the PT145, though, so when I sold the gun, it went with it. I'd recommend it to anyone, though. And it was only, like, $35 or something like that.

#13 ·
Lurch76 said:
The gun I am trying to figure out now is a SP-101 with the 3" barrel. A little too big for pocket carry.
I have an SP101, Galco Miami Classic works, I have a Galco paddle high ride that also works very very well. The SP 101 is a bit large for pocket carry, and with the hammer it may not be the optimum way to carry this little brute. It is truly an awesome wheel gun!
The paddle high ride is by far my favorite carry for the SP 101, btw, mine is in 38 Special

#14 ·
I can carry a full size M&P in a Supertuck with no increase in pants size. The belt doesn't get cinched up as tight, though. (NOTE: I wear jeans everyday, not slacks.) I think if you try the pistol IWB less belt and holster, you'll find after a few minutes, your body will adapt. The Supertuck will make it even more comfortable as it will protect the body from those corners and edges, without adding any noticeable thickness. YMMV

Another option is the Comptac MTAC Minotaur. Nice thing about that holster is if you change pistols, you don't have to buy a whole new holster. The kydex part is interchangeable.

#15 ·
I really like carrying my Glock 19 in a Galco matrix 7 snap on belt holster. This same holster also fits my G23,27 and 26.
This combo is very comfortable to me, and I have tried lots of others.
P.S start with a good belt,regardless of which set-up you go with.

#16 ·
Lurch76 said:
I use Talon Tactical PDL or A10 holsters for whatever I'm using.

Let me focus in on this:
I would like to know if there is a good method for cc'ing that you can use for whatever you are wearing without any special accommodations.
If you are going to carry a firearm for defensive use, you must make a dedication to the maintenance of your proficiency of its use, mechanical condition of your firearm and ammunition and accept that some changes to your habits/clothes/etc will have to happen. You can't conceal a full size pistol without special accomodations. You may have to wear a buttondown/polo shirt untucked when you want to wear a t-shirt out. You may have to wear something that requires a belt to carry your load. There is not magical holster and gun combo that won't require some alterations for you to conceal AND be able to make your firearm effective when you need it. The decision to carry a firearm is a way of life thing, not a fashion accessory.

#17 ·
It's hard to say what's "best", as we most of us have different needs, wants, and likes in a holster.

Many of us have also been through several holster makers and styles to find what works best for us and our needs. Even then, we may have one gun thay works better in a certain holster style than another.

Don't forget that a quality, purpose made gun belt will make easier on you, by providing proper support for holstered firearm and not letting it flop around.

Personally, I prefer a highride leather pancake holster with a 15degree can't for OWB carry. I normally carry at about 4:00 on my strong side and can conceal a full sized handgun with an untucked polo fairly easily.

#18 ·
madcapmagician said:
If you are going to carry a firearm for defensive use, you must make a dedication to the maintenance of your proficiency of its use, mechanical condition of your firearm and ammunition and accept that some changes to your habits/clothes/etc will have to happen. You can't conceal a full size pistol without special accomodations. You may have to wear a buttondown/polo shirt untucked when you want to wear a t-shirt out. You may have to wear something that requires a belt to carry your load. There is not magical holster and gun combo that won't require some alterations for you to conceal AND be able to make your firearm effective when you need it. The decision to carry a firearm is a way of life thing, not a fashion accessory.
A whole lot of truth being said in that paragraph right there. :righton:

#20 ·
tmoore912 said:
madcapmagician said:
A whole lot of truth being said in that paragraph right there. :righton:
I reject the premise that only concealed carry must be discussed, as clothing choices also affect OC, but agree with the main thrust of what he wrote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.