best 9mm ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by glockgirl, Mar 29, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

So I have tried a couple different brands of ammo and was wondering what your favorite 9mm was...

If you could tell me what you feel is the BEST for targets and then the best for SD I would appreciate it...

So far I have tried CCI Blazer, WWB, and Monarch.

Thanks!

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I use WWB value packs from Wal-Mart for practice because it's the cheapest ammo that I've found and I've never had a failure of any kind.

I haven't purchased SD rounds yet, however, I've narrowed my choices down to Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot, probably in 124 grain for either one. I have read that both of those rounds are outstanding for SD (not necessarily in that specific bullet weight). I'm torn between non +p SD rounds and +p. My gun can handle it, but I'm not so sure that it's really necessary.

This seems to be a favorite subject of every single gun forum that I've ever been on.

I shoot a CZ PCR in 9mm.

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I use for the range 115 gr Remington UMC FMJ
    I use for self defense Speer Gold Dot 124 gr GDHP (standard pressue)

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

In case it makes a difference I shoot a G19

5. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Excellent choice. That's what I shoot.

For competition, I use the aluminum cased Blazer. I go to Academy Sports in Macon to get it.

Once my ammo stockpile gets low, I'm going to order ammo from Danny at Atlanta Arms. They have a 147gr that is excellent for accuracy with minimal recoil and noise. Alot of my friends have stopped reloading and now just buy it from Danny.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

For the range I just get WWB.

For self defense the best round out there now is Federal HST in 147. HUGE expansion and good penetration.

Grab yourself a few boxes today.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

For my G17, and my wifes XD-9, we normally use the Remington UMC (green box) 115gr FMJs for practice or my GSSF matches. It shoots clean , is accurate, and inexpensive. It's $6.99 per box of 50 at Dicks Sports, if you buy 10 boxes or more. Sometimes I'll get the WWB from Wally World, but the Remington is cleaner. For carry, I use Hornady TAP 147gr JHPs.

8. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but I was wondering how much shipping is from Streichers? I'd like to order some HST.

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I use the above ammo in my G19 and my G26.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

For practice I use WWB 115 gr. FMJ or Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ.

For carry I use Remington GoldenSaber 124 gr HP +P. I also have used Corbon 115 grain HP's in the past. I am going to seriously look at Corbon's DXP 9mm loads as I have heard that these offer good expanison and penetration.

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

DPX

Corbon DPX. Exelent penetration, consistant expansion, and performs well on intermediate barriers.

Its only drawbacks. Very expensive. Hard to find locally.

12. glocked_n_loaded

glocked_n_loaded New Member

[​IMG]

excellent choice.... i carry 115gr golden sabres (loaded warm) or XTP 115gr.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

How do you like that compensated Glock 19? I almost got one.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Which is best?

Whatever is cheapest, since the only 9mm I fire comes out at 1,200 rpm. :minigun:

:D Link :D

15. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger w/moly coating or the new ranger SXT w/o the evil black coating. Dispatched a cow with one shot with it once from my Glock 19. The cow had had a broken hip from a close encounter with my truck.

16. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

In my 9mm's I use 124gr hydrashocks. I stay away from +P to be honest. Last thing I need is a 9mm zipping through someone even faster than it already does.

17. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

For the range, I use CCI Blazer Brass for my 9mm and .45. It's comparably priced to WWB (cheaper in .45) at Wally World and seems to shoot A LOT cleaner.

18. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

FWIW, Gun Tests mag recommends 147gr Speer Gold Dot JHP's. Good penetration (not over-penetration), great weight retention, and excellent expansion.

19. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

For the range I roll my own 147gr Rainier Plated or 147gr Precision Bullets. I can make these for $95/1000.

For SD I use the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.