Best .40 S&W Personal Defense round?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bulldawg182, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Looking for suggestions on the best personal defense round available for my new G27. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I carry 165 gr Federal Hydra-Shoks.

When the new HST comes widely available for civilian use, I've heard excellent things about it, but until then it's nothing but Hydra Shok for me.

3. bbruce

bbruce New Member

You can actually get HST just as easy as Hydra-Shoks. Not sure if I can recommend particular places, so just pm me and I can give you a starting point (I know of 3 places online off the top of my head). If it is not a big deal to ref a place of business just let me know. Still kind of new here, sorry.

FYI - a lot of places state LEO only, but that is not always the case

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

best .40 round

I'm in favor of a .40 caliber slug that weighs 160 grains and moves out of a 4" barrel at about 1300 f.p.s. I don't know who makes it, but I think I've seen those figures quoted in a ballistics chart somewhere, and I was impressed.

6. bbruce

bbruce New Member

7. gsusnake

I hadn't actually looked for the HST, I was actually just going by what I read on Wikipedia as far as the availability went.

I'll have to talk to my guy in Hinesville and see if he's got 'em.

8. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I've shot several good 40S&W defense loads out of my Glock22, I found Speer GoldDots to be the most accurate, for me. (Ive tried the GD's, Fed HST, Hydrashoks, Rem JHP, etc)

the best thing to keep loaded are those which you shoot well (if not the best out of several you try), and also remember that they need to function 100% of the time, 8 days a week. And twice on sundays.

Since you got a Glock, you've pretty much got that base covered :)

Just try a few loads and see what you and your gun likes.

9. Bulldawg182

First, thanks for all the replies & advice. I guess I've broken the first rule by having been carrying Speers Gold Dots (155 Grain) for the last few months and have never fired these rounds thru the gun. In hindsight, this probably isn't the time to be trusting so I'll be shooting a box of em this week to see how they group compared to the target rounds I've been shooting.

I do tend to believe in a heavier bullet so I'll be changing over to 165 grains as well. While I'd prefer 180s, buying target ammo in 180s is substantially more expensive than 165s....so I guess I'll just stick with that grain for everything.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

When I carried a .40, it was 180 grain Black Talons for me, but I was not the one who chose what I carried.

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I my Glock 23 I carry Speer Gold Dots 165 gr GDHP. An excellent round.

12. Bulldawg182

I just bought some Gold Dots "Short Barrel" loads in 180 grain. I like the heavier bullet for penetrating ability but have heard several people say that they got better accuracy with a short barrels like the 27 has using 155 & 165 grain loads. I guess the "short barrel" Gold Dots are aimed (pardon the pun) at increasing accuracy with shorter barrels....we'll see!

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'm carrying 155gr Gold Dots in my personal G27 based on the purely scientific reason of them being the only "defensive" ammo in the shop the day I went to buy some carry ammo. :wink:

I have some 180gr Gold Dots as well, but I like the lighter weights in the shorter barrels. I haven't tried any of the new stuff designed specifically for shorter barrels.

I carry 180gr Hydrashoks on duty as they are issued.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I have never ordered the "short barrel" gold dots to use in my G26. I'm not sure either what kind of advantage they have, if any.

15. gsusnake

I bought three boxes of HST today. One box plus one round for carry, the rest for the range.

My Taurus and I both love it. It's some of the most accurate ammo I've fired.

16. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

Cor-Bon 135gr here. A little hotter than most loads.

17. Bulldawg182

Just got back from Bullseye (yes on Mothers Day) and shot 40 rds of Gold Dot short barrel loads in .40 180 grain as well as 20 rnds of Gold Dot 165 & 20 rnds of Gold Dot 155s thru my 127.

There's simply no denying:

1. my groups were better at all ranges using the 180 short barrel loads
    2. the recoil and resultant snap was noticeably less using the 180 grain short barrel loads.
    3. I'm a believer and will now carry short barrel loads in my G27.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

larryg2, has anyone done any tests on them to see if they consistently expand? Is there any real world data out on them yet?

19. Bulldawg182

Damned if I know. I'm counting on historical Gold Dot performance I guess. I assume (I know this has implications) that Speer publishes this info somewhere....but I've never seen it.