BERSA 380 AUTO SAFETY SWITCH

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Patches, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Patches

Patches Guest

Are many Bersa 380 pistols like mine? My on/off safety switch is "very difficult" for me to use. It seems to be binding somehow and I have it well oiled. I inherited it from my brother and it is really pretty new with almost no use. I have been told it should loosen up with use; my problem is I am 78 and do not use a range very often though I am reasonably comfortable using a pistol. I would hate to know I needed the safety off quickly as it would not happen. It is hard to believe that the Bersa Company would release a pistol that is difficult to use. I know a lot of you reading this forum are more knowledgeable than myself about pistols , so I would certainly appreciate some suggestions. My thanks.

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

The Bersas are pretty stiff from the factory. Once you run about 600 rounds through it, it should start to loosen up nicely. I have a Thunder .380 and it is a very reliable carry piece. I pretty much carry it exclusively. I load mine with Cor-bons and Golden Sabers.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I know with some rifles you have to have the gun cocked before you can engage the safety. Is that the problem?

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Why use the safety?

Okay, I have to ask: Why would you ever use the "safety" in a hurry on a gun that is double-action for the first shot? I would think the right way to keep it for protection would be hammer down over a live round in the chamber, and a loaded magazine in place. When trouble happens, pick up weapon and squeeze hard for the first shot, and squeeze light for all following shots. When trouble is over, use the "safety" at your leisure-- you can take your time with it. I would only use the safety as a decocker, and nothing else.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Why use the safety?

This is how I carry my Thunder 380. :up: The only exception being when I'm riding the motorcycle. Landing on it would probably kill my hip, but with the safety off, who knows. The Thunder 380 also has a magazine safety and key lock, but loaded on the hip, both are free.

As a side note, I am fastidious about cleaning after every range visit, so I couldn't understand why it was sticking so bad. I quit cleaning it for about 500 rounds, and then cleaned it. It makes no sense but the safety loosened up considerably after this "break-in" period.

If it is a real problem, try to find someone with a used Thunder and trade them. Personally, I'd suggest finding the range time. I know 380 is relatively expensive (Compared to 9mm), but it is good to know the characteristics of your gun. The thunder 830 is a great gun and I'm sure you'll be happy with it once you get this issue resolved.

6. Patches

Patches Guest

Bersa 380 auto pistol

You folks have certainly given me a lot of food for thought on my Bersa pistol safety switch. Gotta try that safety on/off using the double action of this pistol and see what happens. From what you are saying you like it as a concealed weapon also and thanks for the tip on the ammo. Trading in might also be a good thought. Can you explain the difference between my Bersa 380 automatic pistol and a Bersa Thunder? I really appreciate your responses. You guy's have some d..n good experience for me to tap into.
    Patches

7. Guest

Guest Guest

The Thunder is just the name for the .380 Auto.