Beretta 9000 Series 9mm or Ruger P-95 9mm

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sharky, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Beretta 9000 Series 9mm or Ruger P-95 9mm

Okay I need some advice. The little lady doesnt seem to keen on carrying a Glock. She really would feel better carrying (in her purse or in the SUV) a gun with a safety. At least she is more open to carrying and would like her own gun! She is much more comfortable with 9mm now (after half a dozen range trips) but this is one of the criteria that must be followed. Second criteria is pricing. I understand we get what we pay for in most cases.

She does not like the trigger on the Taurus products (to loooong) and I agree with her. And yes I like my Taurus but like my Glock better!

So between the two mentioned above. Does anybody have experiance or comments related to the two?

Both have external safeties and both seem in our price range. Both have about the same capacity and are about the same size. The Beretta is a bit smaller which she is leaning towards.

Anybody on the site work at a range and have both of these in stock to try out?? Hopefully in the ATL permiter area?

Thanks for your help and opinions.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I have a P-85 and have loved it since day one. It used to be my primary carry gun till I got a 1911. My wife now uses it for a "home gun" so her carry gun can just stay in her purse...

All that being said, I'm not crazy about polymer frames and wouldn't get either... :lol:

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Both shoot well and are reliable. The Ruger will be a little less expensive, but the Berettta is finished out a little nicer, IMO.

4. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I have a P95DC that I have shot around 10,000 rounds through without a problem! I have had it almost 11 years.

5. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Gunny- Figured you would say as much.......but thanks for the opinion!

Thank you guys.....please keep opinions coming....

6. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I have a Beretta 9000s in 9mm, you can try it out if you want to meet up at Bullseye in Cumming sometime or I can bring it to the Luncheon. Actually i was thinking about putting it up for sale.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I gotta work on my woman...everyone keeps talking about having to buy for the lady. That's a problem I wouldn't mind having.

8. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Absolutely thank you for offering GunNut..........I would really appreciate that. We are definitely coming to the luncheon. I am not sure when we will be a bullseye. I think the luncheon would be the closest time available or possibly weekend before at bullseye in Cumming.

With the holidays so close I would have to wait till after to make a purchase. No I cant buy it for her as a xmas present. :D (wish I could though) :wink:

9. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i've been carrying my p239 all week and my wife thinks i just got a new holster for the 232 and can't tell the difference between the two guns. (i didn't lie, she just didn't ask) she's really not interested in guns beyond the fact that she feels safer because i carry. sometimes i think i'd like to have her shoot with me like some of you guys wifes do but then it's also nice not having to account for all the new toys. declared toys have to be matched with jewelry.

10. Axeman

Axeman New Member

My wife bought a 9000s in .40 a couple years back but she was never really confortable shooting it because even though the gun is small the length of the grip from front to back is actually kind of long for her small hands.

We ended up trading it with some case for our XD40 SC which she loves and fits her very well. I also like the beavertail safety for her is she does ever purse carry.

I would definitely let her try one before purchasing one.

:wink:

11. GunNut

GunNut New Member

No problem, I will bring it to the luncheon.

12. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Thanks to everybody for bringing your compact 9mm's with external safeties to the shoot and luncheon.

Look forward to trying them out- "I'll bring the ammo, you bring the guns!"

13. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

FWIW, I found the grip on the Ruger to be a little on the large side. In fact, the entire gun seemed to be larger than necessary.

If you want a Ruger, there were a couple of used models at Tucker Gun, somewhere in the $300 range. If you'd like, I can swing by there and see which models they are (assuming they're still on the shelf). Tucker Gun is about 5 minutes from my office.

Also FWIW, my wife has a Star .40. Overall, it's really a decent gun, very solid (although kind of heavy). Nice manual safety on it too. If you see a Star 9mm model somewhere, pick it up and see what you think. The only problem with them is that parts are limited and they no longer import them to the US (perhaps Star is out of business?).

14. Blackadder

Blackadder Guest

For the money, it's hard to beat the Ruger. It can also serve as a boat anchor in a pinch.

I've shot both and will tell you that the trigger on the Beretta is MUCH better.

Kind of like buying a Buick or the Italian version of a Buick.

15. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Sweet, thnaks for the continued imput. I am loking forward to trying them also and so is the bosslady!

16. tace

tace New Member

I know it's not exactly a subcompact, but for $300 you can get the Beretta (oops, actually now it is Stoeger) Cougar 8000. It has better trigger than both of those guns, and better reliability than the 9000. 9mm holds 15 rounds and has a 3.6 inch barrel. Weighs 30 ounces, and probably still a bit bulky for purse carry, though it's not bigger than the Ruger size wise.

17. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

the new cdnn catalog has the p95dc 9mm for $279.99