Belt Clip same as Hipgrip?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Animal Mother, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother New Member

Hi all,

I'm a newly minted GFL holder, and I posted this question over on another (national) board and no one had an opinion. However, I was told you guys were the people to ask when it came to Georgia law...

With the weather turning colder, I’d like to pocket carry my Kel Tec P3AT in my jacket pocket from time to time. However, Georgia law requires concealed firearms to be carried in a holster or other similar device, so unless it’s in a pocket holster it would be a violation of the law.

My Kel Tec has the option to attach a belt clip to the frame of the gun. The belt clip essentially acts as a hipgrip (i.e. “hipgrip or any similar deviceâ€) therefore would it be legal to attach the beltclip to the Kel Tec and carry in my jacket pocket without any other holster attached and without hooking the beltclip to the inside of my jacket? (In your opinion of course)

For comparison here is a link to a Kel Tec belt clip:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=76

And the hipgrip:

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

And the Georgia Code:
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I carry the same pistol with the belt clip a lot. So yes the clip is a valid form of concealment.

The big question is the use of the clip itself. It is my opinion that the statute not only requires the presence of the item but also the use of the item.

Besides, with the clip in use the gun will always be pointing the same direction if you go to pull it. I tried a pocket holster briefly and it kept rotating in my pocket (magazine weight rotated it around). The last thing I want to do when trying to quickly retrieve a firearm is to stop and flip it around to point it in the right direction. Plus there is an awful lot of lint at the bottom of pockets.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'd say you should clip the belt clip because if you aren't using it, that's just as good as not having one. It has "to be carried" in the hipgrip. If you aren't using it, then you aren't carrying it with the hipgrip. That's how I'm interpreting your question. Hope that helps.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

GS1, how do you use the beltclip? I have it and a pocket holster and the pocket holster is the only one that will hold the pistol in such a way that I can grab it.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I carry it in the inside jacket pocket. The kind that usually has extra material at the top and just a slippery nylon sack attached to it. Then pointing the gun straight down and butting the barrel up against the seam.

Oh, I also bent the clip a little bit in a few key places to make it hold tighter.

6. budder

So the top of the slide is pointing to the opening of the jacket?

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Other way, top of the slide is toward my arm, cross draw.

8. budder

So you got one for the left side of the gun?

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Ordered them both at the same time, along with the mag extension.