Belly bands

Discussion in 'Women with Firearms' started by Melissa5, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

For those of you who use a belly band, what have you done to make it more comfortable? I recently bought one to wear with sweat pants and shorts and it is uncomfortable with the velcro constantly scratching and poking.

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

wear a tshirt under it??

3. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

This is kind of hard for me to explain...

I tend to wrinkle the velcro. Meaning I dont allow for it the side with scratchy piece to go outside the edges of the soft side. I may have left the belly band in my truck. I'll see if I can post a pic of what I mean.

4. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

That would be great for winter when I'm wearing a sweat shirt over it, but what about summer?

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Could you cut a patch of cotton t-shirt to place between the scratchy parts and the body parts?

6. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

That's a good idea!

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

or just trim the edges of the scratchy part so it doesn't overlap the fuzzy part. I think that would accomplish the same thing Aberk is talking about without having to make "wrinkles" in the velcroed section.

8. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

This sounded really good and I started thinking about how to do it. Suddenly, a rednecks favorite repair tool jumped into my head. Duck tape! So, I put a 1/4" of duck tape around the edges. Problem solved!

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone.

9. livesounder

livesounder New Member

When it comes off (and it will), you'll have a sticky mess on your hands.

10. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Well, what do YOU suggest?

11. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

a piece of ace bandage to wrap the joint?

12. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Kind of like a movable belt loop?

13. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

How about taking AV8Rs cotton t-shirt idea and stitching it to the band?

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Most of these things are put together a mono-filament like thread, with lots of cut ends unfinished. Run a low flame (Candle, match, etc) over the surface. It'll singe back the tips. You should notice a difference. Stitching a cotton fabric over the surface would also work, as suggested.

15. livesounder

livesounder New Member

You've already gotten a number of good ideas. If I understand the issue, I would trim the edge of the "hard" side back a bit with scissors so it's smaller than the "soft" side.

16. ClayD

ClayD New Member

Im not really sure of the dynamics of a belly band, but I wear a ankle holster while at work, sometimes for nine hours at a time. The velcro can be very uncomfortable. I wear boots so the holster sits high on my calf and my socks tend to pull down through out the day. After a few days of aggitation from the velcro, I came up with the idea to cut the top part of a sock off from them bottom half, like a sleeve. So everytime I wear the ankle holster, I have this piece of sock sleeved over my calf in extension to the boot sock I already wear. Through out the day I forget that I am carrying my LCR 38 special on my anckle.

Maybe this method won't work in your situation, but maybe you could use a cut piece of sock to strap the belly band through and possition the velcro within the cut piece of sock. Maybe the same idea would work for you?

Good luck,

Clay