Been pulled over twice in two days......

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by BergerBoy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

......and havent' had a problem yet!

I keep a revolver on the seat next to me when driving around for easy access. Well my registration sticker has turned up missing, so I've gotten pulled over twice in the past two days. I haven't been pulled over in about 3 years, so this was fun.

First time was yesterday: I was coming back from around Atlanta from buying a pistol and got pulled over by GSP. He came up to the driver's side and the conversation went something like this:
    "License and insurance please"
    "Alrighty, but I just thought it best to let you know that there is a loaded revolver in the seat next to me"
    :he looks inside:
    "OK, do you have a permit for it?"
    "It's been applied for but Georgia State Code provides for a firearm to be carried in plain view or in a glovebox without a permit"
    "I know the law! I'm an Officer of the Law! I was just asking to see if you had a permit."
    "Alright, well I just wanted to make sure and make sure you were comfortable, that's all"
    "OK, then license and insurance"

:I dig out my license, pop the glovebox for the insurance and there's my newly-purchased pistol:
    :hands go straight back to the steering wheel:

"Well Officer, I just wanted to let you know there's another unloaded firearm in my glovebox"
    :he looks in:
    "Are you planning on someone shooting you?"
    "Haha, no, the revolver is my main carry piece and the pistol in the glovebox is what I was coming back from buying."

:he takes the paperwork and goes back to his car, comes back 5 minutes later:

"Well I pulled you over because your registration sticker on your tag is expired"
    "Oh? Well my father said he put it on there last week, but apparently he didn't"
    "Alright, well here ya go"
    "Officer, I wanted to say I didn't mean to come across as being condescending with you about the law, I've just had a bad incident with a local officer that didn't know the law, and always want to be sure"
    "Law or no law, it makes one a little nervous knowing there's a gun sitting next to someone you've got pulled over. But you were honest and straightforward, and that made me more comfortable. Thanks, have a great day. Oh, by the way: I like your shirt"
    "Thanks!"

Then today I got pulled over today since it's been too icey to put the sticker on. The Hall County officer came up to my passenger side window and knocked while telling me "License and registration". I had my hands on the wheel, and at that point pointed down at the seat. He looked down, then said, "Just grab your stuff and come to the back of your car." He asked if I had a permit, I said again that I've applied and I'm fighting the whole "shall issue within 60 days as described by law" thing, but that I didn't need a permit if it was in plain view. He said he knew, he just generally asked to see if there was a permit. From then on it was just a normal stop. He gave me my paperwork back, was friendly and smiled a good bit, and I went on my way.

I haven't been dragged out, beaten like a red-headed stepchild, or had a car and full body cavity search yet.......so I think I'm doing good! :lol: And wearing a bright Guinness shirt can get some compliments :shock:

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Registration? What did you show him when he asked for that?

3. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Nothing. I had an old copy in the glovebox, but nothing current. Both times they only ended up taking my license.

EDIT - speaking of which, so what paperwork is mandatory at a traffic stop? I've gotten the idea from reading that only my license is necessary, correct?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Correct. :wink:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Of course, their attitude is gong to change when an armed citizens starts telling them what they should and should not request.

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

...and not for the better.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Code 6, code 6!

Smack, smack, Aaaah!

Taser, use the Taser!

Zap! AAAAHH! (subject lights up, then falls to the ground)

Hit him again!

Zap!

Anybody see Southpark last night?

8. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Oh trust me, I've encountered a number of cops over the years that clearly will take advantage of you at every opportunity, and I don't look forward to dealing with them now that I've got a decent grasp on the law and what it says.....

9. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Make that three times in three days..... :oops:

Speeding, for a very good reason. First time in 4 years :x Younger officer acted professionally, but I could tell he did not like the idea of me possessing a firearm. This time he unloaded my revolver on my seat, took it back to his car, and ran the numbers to make sure it wasn't stolen. Asked me for proof of insurance, I said that I shouldn't need to show that to him as they can now pull it up by the tag information. He told me I had to still keep paper copies as proof with me and wrote me a written warning for no insurance along with the citation for speeding.

Gotta talk to the solicitor in March......

10. Malum Prohibitum

You really need to use your cruise control or just concentrate on slowing down. Three times in three days? I am a lead foot, and that is unheard of.

§ 40-6-10. Insurance requirements for operation of motor vehicles generally

(a)(1) Until December 31, 2003, the owner or operator of a motor vehicle for which minimum motor vehicle liability insurance coverage is required under Chapter 34 of Title 33 shall keep proof or evidence of required minimum insurance coverage in the vehicle at all times during the operation of the vehicle.
    . . .

(3) On and after July 1, 2005, the requirement under this Code section that proof or evidence of minimum liability insurance be maintained in a motor vehicle at all times during the operation of the vehicle shall not apply to the owner or operator of any vehicle for which the records or data base of the Department of Revenue indicates that required minimum insurance coverage is currently effective.
    . . .

(7) If the person receiving a citation under this subsection shows to the court having jurisdiction of the case that required minimum insurance coverage was in effect at the time the citation was issued, the court may impose a fine not to exceed $25.00. The court shall not in this case forward a record of the disposition of the case to the department and the driver's license of such person shall not be suspended.

11. Malum Prohibitum

How do you know that? Did he tell you he ran the numbers? Did he tell you he was checking to see if it was stolen? If so, how did you respond to his accusation that you are a thief?

12. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

You need to find a lower profile way of carrying your pistol in your car. At least keep a towel or jacket on the seat that you can throw over the gun if need be.

That and your lead foot are giveing you hassles you don't need.

13. Foul

Foul New Member

Better yet, don't tell the jackasses that you have it. You have no legal obligation to do so.

14. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Explanation: The first two were for not having the updated sticker on my tag. Two times in two days, just happened to have the cops get behind me merging on the highway. Someone had taken my sticker off my tag, and I got another one on the day of my second stop.

The speeding stop: well.....long story short, I have Crohn's disease, which gives me chronic ulcers. Well, that can make for fairly urgent "calls of nature" at any time. I was going to my buddy's house after work to review some Calc III work and I was a mile from his house when my stomach sank, and I knew I had to hurry. Gave it some gas, and over the next hill sat a cruiser in the ditch. I knew if I gave him beef over running my gun's numbers, I'd be there even longer and I NEEDED TO GO! :oops: So I put my attitude aside long enough to make the stop as quick as possible.

I'm a great driver! It's just been one of those weeks.

15. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Can't conceal without a permit, my permit is at month three or so and hasn't arrived. Last night the revolver was in my glovebox with my license, so I had to open it to show that to him. It wasn't on the seat this time.

16. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

And yes, that's what he told me he was doing. I didn't like it, but didn't have time to argue.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Calc III? You really are a student!

18. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

You ain't kidding......getting off a 12-hour shift and going straight to do homework at midnight......it gets old.

And some of this useless high-level math has really made me kick myself for not going into law instead!