Becoming a LEO

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by IrishTiger, Sep 24, 2010.

1. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

So I have often thought of joining a police or sheriffs department. I love being a pilot, but I'd love to be in law enforcement as well. The airline industry is not what it used to be either - and every time I go to work I grow a little bit more disappointed with my job. I meet all the requirements, and I know I'd make a good cop - but there is one small disqualifying thing for most departments. I'm not a US citizen. I'm Canadian. I was born there in 84 and then moved here in '91 - and have been here legally ever since. I obviously pass all the department of homeland security, TSA, FBI and DOJ checks otherwise they wouldn't let me in the cockpit of a commercial airliner (much less give me a GFL). I'll be in the process of getting my citizenship soon. Unfortunately it costs about $700 and the recession has hit me hard (being laid off once) and some other things so i just don't have the money for it at the moment.

In the mean time, does anyone know of any department that would hire me being a lawful green card holding resident? I'm not opposed to moving either - although I'd love to work for APD here and help my own city out... A part of me is ready to move to the country though!!!

What are your thoughts on this?

-Ryan

2. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Hmmmm..... Deputy Tiger... has a good ring to it.. :D

Good Luck Ryan... and we'll be able to add one more "not completely unreasonable"
    officer to the list :righton:

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Have you considered the RCMP, eh?

4. samman23

samman23 New Member

if you become a citizen, many federal agencies could use you as a pilot.

I know many local agencies use helicopter pilots. I don't know if they use fixed wing pilots or not(assuming you are a fixed wing pilot).

5. Arkimedes

Arkimedes New Member

Most Police Agencies don't care if you're born in another country. All they'll ask is that you A. Are a LEGAL resident of the United States, and B. That you are able to LEGALLY work in the United States.

If you can qualify to become a Pilot here, then you can become an LEO. The big thing for them is resident status and criminal background, if any.

The best thing to do is check online. Every LE department that has an online website will tell you what they want as far as their recruits. Take a look and call around and if you have questions, call the agency in question.

Granted I'm speaking from a Florida viewpoint, but I would think that Georgia agencies would be similar.

6. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Why do you want to be a cop???
    Don't answer me, but you need to know the answer to that question.
    Being laid off, and not liking your current job won't be the right answers during your interview or psychological exam.

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

After meeting you, I think you'd make a fine officer, Ryan. Just don't forget where you came from. :D

8. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

Thanks for all of the nice replies. Being a cop is one of those things that's always been on my top 3 career choices. I want to make my life the best I possibly can, because you only get one shot at it - and I'll never know unless I give it a go. The only regrets in life are the risks you never took.

haha, I like that! And yes you're right - If I were a cop, I'd be a good cop. One of the best. I care a lot about people, their rights, and their safety.

Oh shut it. If I'm going to be in law enforcement I'm going to carry a pistol, not a horse whip! :lol:

I know the answer to the question, and it would not be a formulated one either. There are 3 jobs that I have always wanted to do - which are - be a pilot, be a teacher, or be a cop. I think whatever department that would interview me would appreciate my stance on my reasoning.

Yes I'm a fixed wing pilot, and I've been flying jets for the airlines for about 4 years now. That's one of the things I've thought about, is the aviation aspect to law enforcement. There are a lot of different opportunities.

That's how I think about it too - I have no criminal history other than a few traffic tickets, I'm educated and I've been in a security sensitive environment for several years now (and I'm only 26 too)!!

I never would sir! Thanks for the nice opinion too! I think I'd make a good cop, or a teacher. I just love helping people, and working with new people (which is one thing I love about my current job). Flying an airliner is never the same. Each flight is different. That's the kind of job I love!

9. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Consider a reserve position, to test the waters...you will have to put yourself through an academy.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Why not Air Marshal? Then you could still fly the plane, if needed.

11. JMan

JMan New Member

Not bashing you OP so don't take this the wrong way.

But I have seen many people these days that either don't want to go try and get a job but think applying to the Military , and Police departments is a way out for quick easy money .... Or They think it's a easy job to get into ....Boy are they wrong .

12. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

:roll:

13. JMan

JMan New Member

:roll:

14. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Glad to see you agree with me :righton:

15. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Well, hiring LEO's is something that I have a tad bit of experience doing.
    The truthful answer at to "why do you want to be a LEO" is where more than half of our applicants fail.
    Take it for what it is worth

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You are young, educated, and a pilot. Unless you can go federal, forget LE.

If you want to "take one for the team" (to help society, especially for lower pay) become a teacher.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It told them I wanted to play with guns and drive fast! They hired me on the spot! :D

18. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I wanna go fast!

[​IMG]

19. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Oh that's an easy one: "To serve and to protect" - it is written right on the door of the cruisers. Man, I'd ace that question! Ace it!

20. Arkimedes

Arkimedes New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!