Beautiful lawns

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 11, 2013.

1. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

2. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I didn’t have an opinion one way or the other, but now I’m very skeptical of the roundup claim.

3. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

I wish somebody would explain that to the pigweeds in my sunflower field.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Actually I have an area in my front lawn that I used Roundup on well over a year ago and it's just barely starting to grow some grass in it. The grass is not wanted in that area because bare ground is desired for effect. I usually only treat the area every two years to kill unwanted vegetation while avoiding what I want to keep growing.

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

If Roundup did that the produce isle at the grocery store would be lacking. The vegetables that my garden produced this Spring and Summer would not have happen. The Butterfly garden that we enjoy looking at would not be there. Farmers would be out of business. With no til cultivation Farmers simply spray roundup prior to planting many different crops often at the same time the crop is planted. Roundup is absorbed through the green active growth of a plant and passed down to the root system killing the plant. Spraying the dirt does nothing but waste money. Using 10's of time the dosage ain't good as it would be in anything.
    Roundup has many enemies who use lack of knowledge as a tool and some attorneys use it to get rich.

6. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

7. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I was not aware it had went Generic. Save a few dollars.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Mowing your lawn is racist. Go read the rest of the article. You will soon live in a natural wild greenspace.

Nemo

https://notthebee.com/article/important-update-your-lawn-is-now-racist

9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Screw them. As long as they don't walk on my grass they'll be fine.

Harhib likes this.
  10. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

And if they do it may be the last walk they take.

OWM likes this.
  11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

OWM likes this.
  12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

13. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Looks like I spoke too soon regarding the complete demise of by riding lawn mower. Out of curiosity, i pulled the valve cover and head. Turns put it was a slipped valve keeper, likely due to excessive valve lash. Possibly caused by the repaired valve seat "settling in" as the engine ran. I feel confident I can get this machine running again with a couple of hours work. Meanwhile, my wife and daughter both feel comfortable using the battery powered mower, so that is good. The lawn looks great.. I plan to use the riding mower for things like pulling the aerator and mulching leaves rather than everyday mowing. Call it a semi-retirement.

14. Hombre

Hombre PITA

I rented a walk-behind aerator Friday, did my yard, and was quite worn out after that. Everything hurt, especially my hands. Hossing that 400 +/- lb beast around ditches, roots, hills and trees took a toll on this old man. On a flat, square yard, it would be a piece of cake to do. But not on Hell's Half Acre here.

I put down lime and starter fertilizer yesterday. Right before our next rain, I will put down seed. This time, I will NOT buy Rebels fescue seed, as I did last year. I was impressed with it from what I planted last Fall, up until the heat came, then much of it died, despite all the rain we got this year. I had much better success in the past with Pennington Smart Seed fescue, and will try it again this year. I think it is more tolerant of heat and lack of water (even though we didn't have a lack of rain this year).

Who is the idiot who came up with the idea to use fescue in Georgia? Probably the same idiot who thought it was a good idea to put salt on the roads in the Winter up north. :mrgreen:

I wish Centipede or Bermuda wasn't so damned expensive, and I wish it thrived in shade and partial shade. Gotta have full sun for those, as I understand.

Someone needs to invent a good grass for Georgia - one that is tolerant to all climates (as we get all of it here), drought and heat, and loves both the sun and the shade. Impossible task, I know.

15. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Centipede does well in partial shade. Not expensive at all. Just buy pure seed. None of that seed plus mulch plus whatever crap. Also pay no attention to the 2000 sq feet per pound bull. You can double that easily. For every pound of centipede you plant add a half pond of carpet grass seed. Carpet grass is dirt cheap and what you accomplish with that is to get a lawn in a hurry. The centipede will choke out the carpet grass as it spreads and matures. Even if a 5lb bag of centipede cost $50.00 per pound it is worth it. It will last your life and that of your children and theirs. Planted mine in 1974 and it's still doing great. Have never fertilized it except when first planted. All it needs is water, sun and your lawnmower. I think there are some pics in this thread somewhere. Most people in this area plant in mid February. The seed will not germinate for a few weeks but when they do they get going. You will have a perfect lawn by mid June. By doing it that way you avoid the summer flooding rains that wash away the seed and soil as it does for those who plant in May or June. People here also use the age old planting technique of a foot tube and sand. Mix about 4 to 6 ozs of centipede and your carpet grass in the tub with sand. Then spread a handful at the time from side to side while walking at a normal pace. Practice with just sand and you'll soon get the hang of it. At planting time put down some fertilizer and work it in well before planting. 5.10.15 or 10.10.10 will work well. About 5 lbs per 1000 sq feet should do it. Don't worry about the weeds that come up. They will help control erosion. Start cutting as soon as there is something to cut and don't stop till the season ends. The most important thing to remember here is that if you do all of this you are pissing off some liberal, progressive, little communist somewhere and that is priceless.

16. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Aha. I just learned something valuable. Thanks. I have always liked centipede when I have seen it. It looks low, thick and tough - kinda like crabgrass in that regard, but much thicker and prettier.

Probably not prudent to sow it right now, but I just might try it next year. I think I will get some fescue down in the next week or two, then maybe work on getting centipede to choke it out, starting next year.

My neighbor put down Bermuda sod, and even though it looks gorgeous out in his open front yard, it simply will not live under any trees they have. There is a huge bare spot between our yards, favoring his side, where there are some trees, so maybe the Centipede would spread in their direction and fill up that gap.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  17. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Centipede basically needs a lot of sunlight, a little rain, and somebody to mow the kudzu and pine seedlings back when needed. I think I have $60 in seed on a half acre in 8 years and it’s unquestionably the dominate species out there. There’s other stuff that’s a prettier green in the summer and doesn’t brown in the winter but there’s almost nothing that requires less maintenance.

18. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Partial shade works fairly well.:mrgreen:

PM050104 001.jpg

19. Hombre

Hombre PITA

I forgot to mention that I am about 30 miles NW of Atlanta. I don't see much Centipede around here, so I hope it would grow. From the way it has been described, I'm surprised it isn't really popular here in suburbia.

20. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

The link below may help you. This newer variety is well suited to Northern Georgia.
    http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/tifblair-centipedegrass/