BATFE says under 21 NFA Okay.....

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by GAGunOwner, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Well, it certainly doesn't impact me but it is interesting. That's a pretty sharp kid! I'm glad other members of that forum are encouraging him to consider law school.

Yeah. Like we really need more lawyers....

But maybe we could help him with his love life. Does anyone know a young woman who meets his requirements?

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you are a Christian, gun-loving, Hispanic Republican girl between the ages of 18 and 21, please send me a pm!

---message brought to you by Roo's Arfcom dating service---"

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That is interesting.

Now I wonder if they are really going to grant it.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If I were him I wouldn't bother trying to get the CLEO signature. I'd rather use a trust, but that is what I plan to do when I want to get some big boy toys anyway.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I still prefer using a trust because you can add others in.

So I can add my brothers and dad in so they can handle it without me being there.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Of course he will get it. If you aren't prohibited by federal or state laws from buying a firearm, you are aren't prohibited from buying Class III stuff.. unless you don't have the money... hah!

If you can't get a sign-off, just get a trust. That's what I'm doing. Of course, my wants are greater than my means but that's the easiest route here in DeKalb. I'm not even going to bother to ask my "CLEO". If I die, my family can have my SBR... or not... I don't care, I'll be dead!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Do you have first hand knowledge that neither the chief of the county police nor the Sheriff will sign Form 4s, or is this speculation?

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I've 'heard' from the local Class 3 shop that they won't. Since I haven't tried, I guess it's speculation. I'm sure Terrell Bolton will greet me with open arms for CLEO signage :p Maybe him and Vernon Jones will have a signing party with me.

Honestly, I'd prefer to slap the trust paperwork in there and send it off instead of running around town making appointments trying to get it signed. It's not like I'm getting a machine gun worth thousands of dollars... if i move somewhere that won't allow them or decide to sell it, it's not a big deal if I take a loss unloading it on a class 3 dealer just to get it off my hands.

From previous posts, it seems you are really against the idea of using trusts to purchase class 3 stuff... why? I've personally met people who have done it and there was a huge thread about people doing it on ar15.com a while ago. It's not like it's illegal. I don't want to run around trying to get a signature, fingerprints and photos EVERY time I want to buy a class 3 firearm. I'll pay 200$ to get a lawyer make a trust... it's something I probably need anyways.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I have not heard of anyone being refused or unable to get a CLEO signature on a form 4 in Georgia.

My Sheriff forced me to answer an interview question before he would sign.

"What are you getting?" he asked with a big grin. :D

As to the trusts, I am not "against" them per se, but I think it an entirely unnecessary solution to a nonexistent problem. I also posted that, I think, in response to somepbody who was going to do it himself, without a lawyer.

There are some pitfalls with the trust route and the incorporation route that do not exist in an individual transfer on a Form 4. That is the only reason why I may seem negative on the application of these entities to the transfer of NFA items.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I reject the individual route because I feel I shouldn't have to be fingerprinted and get a CLEO to say it is ok.

Now I know full well that I was already fingerprinted for my GFL, however I still choose to go the route that requires a little less government say.