Bass Reeves

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 7, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This piece, including a 1910 obituary from an Oklahoma newspaper, mentions how Reeves' devotion to duty included arresting his own son for murder, and bringing him to justice.

posted by Clayton at 2:59 PM permalink[/quote:3g3q2pss]

2. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I hear he worked out of a town called Rock Ridge.

:lol:

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

There might be legal precedent! Of course, Landsnatching... land, land, Land, see Snatch. Ah, Hailie vs. United Sates. Hailie: 7, United States: nothing. You see, it can be done!

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

interesting stuff

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I remember my grandparents telling me I had an ancestor that was a United States Marshall (probably a deputy - hard to remember what you are told when you are a kid) in Oklahoma Indian territory. That is all I know. I wish I knew more than that.

I do know I had a great grandmother that was Chickasaw Indian, and she grew up on a reservation in Oklahoma. I knew her, but unfortunately she died in my late teens, and I never did get as much information from her as I would like to have now (kids do not appreciate "the old days" and forget half of what they were told anyway, like the name of the U.S. Marsall . . .).

:cry:

Anyway, when I read those articles on Bass Reeves, I just knew people here would like it. What character!

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

It is a good article. It actually reads like a description of some John Wayne type western hero - good with disguises, carried his guns butt first & was ambidestrous, understood various indian laguages, couldn't read or write but mem'ed his warrants wears his black hat & polished his boots... I can't think of many more architypal points to include.