Bartow County Confiscating License During Renewal

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by psrumors, Jun 29, 2019.

1. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

The wife went Tuesday 6/25 to renew her GWCL that expires 7/1. Upon submitting her application and money for renewal the clerk confiscated her license and told her she could not carry until her renewal was approved and license issued, about two weeks. The clerk stated there was no temporary license to be had. The wife is easy going and will not argue the point.

My license expires 7/8. I will be renewing this week and I will push the point that for $1 I am entitled to a temporary license unless the probate judge is aware of a reason I am not eligible for a license.

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Yeah the temp license is the old license and the receipt stapled together iirc. I'd go back and ask for it

3. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Print a copy of the law and bring it.

4. psrumors

Yep

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Open records requests to get info on their official policy and procedures related to that particular practice, and how many times they have done it, including emails, meeting minutes, etc.

And phone calls might also be a way to get info.

6. wee

wee Active Member

Must be someone new...Neither me or my wife had this issue when we renewed in the early spring.

Brian

PS.....Call Sheriff Clark and let him know....He is very pro carry.

7. FillYerHands

FillYerHands Native

Just a comment - this is why I have a reminder on my Google calendar to renew my GWCL 6 weeks before expiration.

8. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

you should be renewing it 90 days before. not 6 weeks. i did that and im still waiting on mine from FulCo. Im being told they are waiting on the BG check from SSPD.

and before anyone asks, ive already talked to JRM and hes working on it...:-D

jlw253, tmoore912 and Adam5 like this.
  9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:rotfl2: It cracks me up that they expect the person asking to believe this nonsense. The background check is electronic. It came "back" before you left the building from being fingerprinted.

Why do public employees associated with a court system habitually lie? If there is one government department that ought not to be engaging in dishonest behavior, it is the courts.

GeorgiaGlocker, MWAG and TimBob like this.
  10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

He said renewal so there shouldn't be any fingerprinting.

I insisted on a temp. permit at Chatham Co. during my renewal and the lady did the background on the spot. Took maybe 2 minutes.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Update?

12. psrumors

I went today, renewed and received a temp license. We discussed my wife's experience. They do attempt to keep the license at renewal. The probate judge went to "some meeting" of probate judges and the consensus among the judges is they need to keep people from having more than 1 license.

My wife is rather passive so when they asked / stated they were keeping her license she didn't put up a fuss.

Your license is no longer mailed unless you turn in your license at renewal. If you keep your current license you must turn it in to get your new license.

13. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

The old license is the temp with the receipt and it expires. Do they really thing gwcl holder are going out and giving out the license to another person to carry on?

14. 3/325 AIR

3/325 AIR Member

I renewed mine in Houston County early enough that I wouldn't need a temp, but they never said anything about keeping my current license. They filled out the form, took my picture and my money...done.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Bingo! Correct answer.

You cannot carry a gun legally in Georgia without the "previous license" on your person.

(i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a weapons carry license under this Code section may, at the time he or she applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he or she then holds or if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.​

MWAG likes this.
  16. Malum Prohibitum

So what is Judge Barry Greene going to say when your wife is arrested and put into the county jail due to his illegal conduct as judge?

MWAG likes this.
  17. Malum Prohibitum

Little tyrants and their petty fiefdoms.

18. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Who dat?

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

155913A4-9067-4884-82B5-BB13523DD5F0.jpeg I renewed today in Forsyth Co.
    My old license was from Gwinnett Co, where I lived 5 years ago.

I have 3 weeks left before my old one expires, but they said it could be 4 to 5 weeks before my new GWL comes in the mail. So I opted to pay a dollar and I got that full-size sheet of paper "receipt" which says near the bottom temporary license-valid for 90 days.

They let me keep my current license and advised me to carry both it and the temporary 90 day license together until my new one arrives.

Easy, fast, and inexpensive. Only $30 for the renewal and $1 for the temp.