Bars and Firearms .

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Glock 17, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Glock 17

Glock 17 New Member

I know I can carry where alcohol is served but can I consume alcohol while carrying my gun.

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Is there any law in Georgia that would make that illegal?
    (Gun Laws tab above)

And :welcome:

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This all pertains to Georgia. If you are in a restaurant that serves alcohol, you can consume alcohol while carrying a firearm now.

Furthermore, if you want to carry your firearm into any bar, whether or not you are actually going to consume alcohol or not, you must have the express permission of the BAR OWNER before carrying inside. Furthermore, I would get written consent from the owner, before I would ever carry into a bar. To easy for the owner to flip flop on you.

If you get permission from the Bar Owner to carry into his/her bar, you are then also able to consume alcohol while carrying in the bar.

Also, remember, all other laws still apply, so if there is a "drunk in public" or "disorderly conduct" law where you happen to be drinking, you can still be arrested and charged with those.

So please use common sense and good judgment whenever consuming alcohol in public, in any place while armed.

I am not a lawyer, or an attorney. This is not legal advice.

Welcome! :righton:

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

It's also illegal to discharge a firearm while inebriated, unless in self defense. So don't decide to have a few, and then do some target practice. You could well be charged.

5. EJR914

Good point. Also to add to this, if you are ever in a restaurant or even a bar, and you are told to leave by security or the owner of the restaurant or bar, you must leave the premises immediately or you could be arrested and charged with trespassing.

I would guess this even holds true if you got written expressed permission to carry inside of the bar, from the bar owner. The bar owner reserves the rights to tell you to leave at any moment.

6. Dawg

Dawg New Member

What are your takes on carrying in a liquor store as well? I mean I believe the law says you can't carry where: "serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises" happens. But, no one pops open the bottle at the store (at least I hope not).

7. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

I will be open carrying at my local package store on my way home from work today.

8. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

You hit the nail on the head. Liquor stores do not sell alcohol for consumption on the premises; It is legal to carry there.

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is legal advice.

9. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

WalMart sells ammo & alcohol. No reason you can't carry in a liquor store unless specifically posted otherwise.

iPhone, Tapatalk, Tpyos

10. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

And even then you would just be violating the wishes of the proprietor, not the law.

11. EJR914

I've open carried at my local package shop before, not a word is said. After all, they are not selling alcohol for you to consume at the actual package store. You're supposed to take it elsewhere to consume it. I believe legally, you would have come to a place, such as a residence, restaurant, bar, before you can drink in most places. A lot of places have open container laws, where you cannot simply have a open drink out in the open some places in public.

(Athens, GA comes to mind) I know a lot of cities in Georgia are this way. They have open container laws. However, in Savannah, I believe the big street there is legal to walk down with an open container, but probably illegal once you leave a certain area.

I'd check local laws first, before ever carrying into a liquor store, or drinking in public while armed, and you are not in a designated place of drinking, restaurant, bar, or private residence.

12. RickN

RickN New Member

I don't believe the law you're quoting exists. That quote would disallow just about every restaurant in Georgia. You have a cite?

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

The prohibition against consuming alcohol while dining at a restaurant, and in other social settings, was repealed in SB-308. Entering a "bar" requires permission of the owner.