Barrow

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by pballfreeek, Mar 4, 2006.

1. pballfreeek

pballfreeek New Member

Process

:arrow: Probate Judges office located in court house
    :arrow: Fill out application
    :arrow: Talk nicely to grumpy lady and go home
    :arrow: Wait 112 days and go talk to grumpy lady again
    :arrow: Listen to excuses and go home
    :arrow: Wait 136 days go back and ask for appointment with Judge
    :arrow: Wait 1 1/2 hours till getting phone call and go pick up permit

Fingerprints

:arrow: Done in sheriffs dept. that is within very short walking dist. from court house
    :arrow: Mine were done in ink but I was told they normally scan

Money

:arrow: Probate= $14
    :arrow: Sheriff= $29
    :arrow: Cash

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The probate court was probably $18.

Thanks again.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My renewal in Barrow went much easier than that, but the woman sure didn't seem to want to help too much.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Do you remember how much it cost and how long your renewal took in Barrow?

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The best I can remember was that the license was $20 and there was a $5 charge for the background check at the sheriff's office.

The renewed license was issued on the spot.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

Applying for temp permit today

Please welcome me as a new member...

I called probate yesterday and Barrow County told me they do not issue temp permits. I told them they are in violation of the law that they enforce. I hung up and called my State Rep Terry England and he told me to print and carry 16-11-129 and refer the county to subsection I, which has not changed. I was told license would be $47 and a complete background check and another set of prints was needed.

According to law a temporary permit is supposed to be given provided you are applying prior to 90 days of expiry, or withing 30 days of expiry.

I will let you know what happens when I go of there with printed law in hand.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: You're taking you're whole front yard with you?!?

-----

Good luck with it and we look forward to your report!

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

Thanks for pointing that out...luckily I could still edit my post. Funny thing is I always use spell checker, but since lawn is a word it never picked it up.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

:D

:welcome:

Have you joined GCO yet?

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer New Member

I am not a currently a member of GCO, but will become a member tonight. I am however, a member of the NRA and have been for several years.

OK, Barrow County's SOP (standard operation procedure) is as follows:

When you call to ask if a temp permit is issued the answer is NO, call back and speak with a different person and the answer is still NO.

This morning I went up there with my ducks in a row. I had printed out 16-11-129 and HB 1032 and asked if a temp permit was issued and she again said NO, I then handed the two documents to the clerk and she took them to the Judge. The Judge said I have no other option but to obey the law as it states in these two documents however, I do not have or even know where to find a temporary firearms permit so keep your old firearms permit, receipt from us and the sheriff's department receipt as proof of current firearms license.

I asked the judge a simple question:

ME: So my question is, Will/do you issue a temporary permit?
    Judge: Based on the current law, YES, but I do not have a temporary permit to issue and your receipt should be fine.

The judge stated that the current turn around time for firearms license has been 24 hours...this is after I was told yesterday up to 6 months to recieve new license.

I will post back as soon as I have my permit in my hand.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, I guess that could have gone worse. But if you do have to show your "temporary" to someone before the replacement arrives, I don't know if they're going to call judge, especially if it's after business hours. :?

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good job. :righton:

As to the form of the temporary license, however, the answer is in subsection (i):

:exactly: That is it.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I thought that LEOs got their GFLs free?

14. Malum Prohibitum

I am a member of the NRA, too, but please review the GCO web site, look at the things that GCO has been doing for all of 2007, and ask yourself whether GCO might be deserving of your support as a Georgian. I may be a little biased. :wink:

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Why would they need a GFL with the exemptions? I guess they could use it in order to take advantage of reciprocity.

16. budder

Reciprocity? LEOSA gives them carry rights regardless.

17. Malum Prohibitum

I usually had a carry license when I was a police officer. Helps when purchasing guns, and it was a show of solidarity with all of the non-police officers out there.

18. budder

:righton: We appreciate that.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

LEOSA is recent. I think it only was passed in 2004. Before LEOSA LEOs needed the GFL to carry in many of the state's that recognized the GFL.
    They can by-pass the background check with the GFL like everyone else and if they decide to get out of law enforcement they can still carry.

20. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Nope, unless I missed something.