Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the law is for shooting in the woods next to my subdivision. The woods are owned by my subdivision. Does anyone know if i can go in there and shoot? If so, is there any distance i must be away from houses?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,515 Posts
It would depend on your local/city/county ordinances as they apply.

For instance, in Chatham County in addition to state law, you have to be over 1500ft. from all buildings.

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
I live outside of Winder in Barrow so I am not in the city limits. I can shoot in my backyard (safely of course) with the only requirement being more than 75 feet from a roadway. Typically, I don't shoot anything other than my silenced 22's, and occasionally a 9mm.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-104
Discharge of firearms on property of another

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm on the property of another person, firm, or corporation without having first obtained permission from the owner or lessee of the property. This Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Persons who fire or discharge a firearm in defense of person or property; and

(2) Law enforcement officers.

(b) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=104

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
How does that apply to him shooting on his/here own land?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
TheLaw said:
How does that apply to him shooting on his/here own land?
Code:
I was wondering what the law is for shooting in the woods next to my subdivision. The woods are owned by my subdivision. Does anyone know if i can go in there and shoot?
The above doesn't look like he is talking about "his own land" to me.

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
LOL. I didn't see that the first time. I wonder if the OP was edited since I originally posted a reply. Sorry bout that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts