barrel cut and crown in macon.

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by NOLA EMT, Oct 1, 2010.

1. NOLA EMT

NOLA EMT New Member

Does anyone have any idea where to get a rifle barrel cut and crowned in Macon or surrounding for a reasonable price? I went to ingleside gun works, they were very nice, but wanted 100+ dollars to do it. they looked like they do great work, turned them on a lathe, etc, but its a little pricey.

I am trying to get a Mosin Nagant barrel cut down to make it into a "truck gun" and it makes little sense to spend 100 dollars to fix up an 80 dollar rifle.

(before I get yelled at for destroying a piece of history, this rifle does not shoot at all to point of aim with the current sights, I'm talking feet (pleural) off at a 100 yards. it also has been arsenal refinished with non-matching numbers, etc.)

thanks!

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

How much barrel do you want to cut off?
    What about the front sight? Set it back or omit it and go with optics?
    If you don't mind an ugly result, you can hacksaw the barrel yourself, clean up the cut and slightly chamfer the hole but no real "dish crown" to speak of, weld-on a muzzle break / flash hider which will ALSO serve as a muzzle crown protector, and reattach the front sight and move it a bit (left right, up or down) to correct the point-of-impact problem.

Result will be an ugly but very functional truck rifle.
    Similar to the British Enfield "Jungle carbine" in .303 caliber, also a handy truck / saddle scabbard gun.

I've hacksawed the barrels down on a couple .22 rifles, and accuracy was only slightly impacted. Not enough to measure when shooting standing position with open sights. Maybe from a benchrest with a scope you could tell the difference between a basement "cut down and recrown" job and a professional gunsmith's work.

3. NOLA EMT

NOLA EMT New Member

I was hoping to cut it to about 22", I am going with a scout scope on the rear sight mount.

I was just worried about being able to get the barrel strait enough/ the crown smooth enough to be used as a 100-150yd deer rifle.

I was thinking that a gunsmith could cut it for me for 40-50 bucks, I don't need it turned on a lathe, just cleaned up enough to be usefull.

I looked at the recrowning tools sold by brownells, but they run about 100 bucks, so no savings there.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If you go to Rimfirecentral.com, you can read threads where people have done do-it-yourself recrowns on .22 rifles, with good-looking results.

I think one way they mentioned to get a nice 11-degree parabolic dish crown was to scuff up the head of a carriage bolt, dab it with metal polish compound, and use a drill or cordless screwdriver to spin it against the muzzle. But don't do this until you find that thread and see the pics and read all the comments, etc.

5. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

You can get a hacksaw for $5.00 at walmart and a $2.00 framing square. What exactly do you expect for the price you are willing to pay???????
    Not trying to be an A^$hole, but good LORD!
    $100.00 sounds like a VERY good deal on a crown and cut.

6. NOLA EMT

NOLA EMT New Member

I wasn't trying to say that it was unreasonable, He had a couple rifles there that he did, and they looked great, If I had a precision rifle, I would not hesitate to bring it to them.

I honestly didn't know what it would cost, I had looked around online, and found shops offering the service for as low as $30.

I don't think its worth putting a 100 dollar crown on a rifle that costs the same, so if thats what its going to cost, I'll just look for an M44 for the same price.