Banning bullets now

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jgullock, Mar 1, 2007.

1. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Saw this over at The High Road and thought it's a nice insight into how these antis think. I especially like the part where they say "That means felons, who aren't allowed to own guns or ammo, can buy bullets unfettered". They screwed up and demonstrated how "gun control" isn't really working on the bad guys. Hey, ya think if the current laws worked preventing felons from getting guns we'd need one to prevent felons from getting ammo? Hellooooo, what are we missing here? And "It's the bullets that are hurting us" statement is just...just...I'm sorry, I gotta go, I'm getting choked up...

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/547616.html

Matt Dees, Staff Writer
    DURHAM - Gun owners looking to reload would have to show a permit every time they buy ammunition, if a bill backed by Durham officials gains state approval.

The proposal championed by the Rev. Melvin Whitley, a local community activist, will face opposition from gun-rights groups.

Whitley told state lawmakers and Durham City Council members Monday that anyone over 18 can buy ammunition without being subject to any background check. That means felons, who aren't allowed to own guns or ammo, can buy bullets unfettered.

Requiring a permit to buy bullets, just as the state does for firearms, is a "no-brainer," he said.

"It's a wonder we have not identified this loophole in the past," Whitley told council members.

But Paul Valone, president of Grass Roots North Carolina, a gun-rights lobbying group, called the idea "ludicrous."

Felons with the means and determination to obtain a gun illegally wouldn't have any trouble finding a way around the bullet-permit law, Valone said.

"The only people this would restrict is law-abiding gun owners," Valone said.

"We will be happy to defeat this bill and any legislator who supports it."

Rep. Mickey Michaux, a Durham Democrat, expects such stiff opposition. The bill hasn't been introduced, but Michaux said it would be soon in one or both chambers of the General Assembly.

Michaux supports the idea.

But he said the bill has "about the same chance as getting a ban on handguns in this state. We've been outnumbered over the years by the strong arm of the [National Rifle Association]."

Four states -- California, Illinois, Michigan and Missouri -- require a permit at point of ammunition sale.

Illinois' law, enacted in 1968, is the oldest. It requires people to apply for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card that must be displayed when buying a firearm or ammunition.

It costs $5 and is valid for five years.

There are about 1.2 million card holders in the state, according to the Illinois State Police Web site.

Even supporters have questions about logistics.

Ron Hodge, deputy chief of the Durham Police Department, said it wouldn't be hard to issue a bullet card with a handgun permit. The trouble would come with people who already have obtained their handgun permit having to go through another permitting process, Hodge said.

That would be cumbersome for the agency distributing the permits -- likely county sheriffs -- and for legal gun owners, he said.

Whitley said any inconveniences are trumped by the need to add another hurdle in the path of violent criminals.

"It's the bullets that are hurting us," he said.

2. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

:shock:

I dropped one on my bare foot last night, did not go to the hospital but it is huuuuurting me..... :shattered:

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

That is ridiculus....but i will say i went to walmart before i was 21 (i was 20) to get some .22 LRs and they wouldn't sell them to me....I said it was for my damn riffle....so i told them i would never buy purchase any kind of ammo etc....from them ever again. So i just went right up the road to Outdoor traditions and picked up a case :D

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Their cash register does not ask whether it is for a handgun or a rifle. I can't fault too much. It is to protect themselves from a stupid federal law. They can either train every single person that might operate the sports counter about it and subject the corporation to penalties if they fail to comply, or they can program the desision out of the register so that they don't have to ever worry about that part of the law.

I think that is why Walmart is starting to pull firearms from some of its stores in northern states. Too much crap, including accounting for paperwork, to keep up with. Think of it this way... if a Firearms Dealer (whos main job is to sell firearms) can mess up on a form, what do you think will happen if the typical Walmart employee fills in the information?

To give you a hint, I once had a the sports counter guy tell me that they were out of shooting clays because it was not the season for them. I was stunned... I made sure we were talking about the same thing, I asked "the orange round clay disks you through in the air and shoot". Yes they were out of season. I wandered off wondering how a clay target could be "out of season".

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Before anyone says it is because it was not the season for hunting birds, they still sold the shot shells. What are you supposed to shoot at with the shells, if the birds are out of season, than the clays?

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was at the WalMart in Alpharetta yesterday buying 9mm, .380 and .38 spc ammo. The guy at the counter said that I has a lot of ammo, and I said that I heading for the target range, had a shooting competition Sat, and would be target shooting again Sun. He looked at the ammo and replied "Shooting Skeet?". I said yes, paid and walked away.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Should have told him you were going rhino hunting in Africa and WWB was the best for taking down rhinos.

8. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

you know shooting those golfs are hard to. ... ant figered out how to cook them critters yet, thay hard as a rock, go figger.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Hmmmm

That gives me an idea for a new game. Smooth bore black powder from the "tee", small caliber hand gun or rifle to knock it down the fairway, shotgun from the sand trap, air pistol to putt.... may have to reinforce the balls to get them to last long enough to make it to the cup

I might have a fun idea going......

10. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

not a bad idea, call it combat golf. :shoot:

11. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

The Walmart in Dawsonville does not sell guns....it hasn't been opened too long either so they must not be putting them in the new stores.

12. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

if the walmart in elberton didn't sell guns, ammo, and camo they would go out of business

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Man the stories you hear about Wally World, just like the time I looked at a shotgun, joking asked if they had ammo for it, (kind ofplaying around with the sales person) and they pull out handgun ammo.