Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am interested in shooting in my "back yard" also. I have 6 acres. I know that here in Houston county it is permitted to shoot on your own land. I also know that if the bullet crosses the property line you must have the permission of the owner.

I would especially like to see any pictures of shooting ranges you have built.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
50 yards from the nearest road and keep it on your property (or have the other's permission).

I just got inside from shooting in my backyard. With barely any space I can still work within the law and plink with my Model 60.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You may also have to be concerned about any noise ordinances not directly related to a distance clause. Generally, you need a big plot of land to be really secure, but I don't know what exactly you're working with.

·
Registered
754 Posts
State law is 50 yards from public rd you also have to check county ordinaces is we have close to 30 acres left at my house in Forsyth and i shoot on the property.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im in Bulloch county and have 8 acres. Ive been here about 2 years and have never had a LEO come out to talk with me. Of course, in this area, its pretty common to hear gunfire as I am in a pretty rural area.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,448 Posts
it would be a good idea, if it is legal to "shoot in your backyard" to go one step further and set up a private "shooting range" for your friends and family. Then after your range has been in operation for a year, it will get legal protection under Georgia's range protection act.
The thing is, during that first year of operation your range can be the subject of complaints and maybe a nuisance suit. So keep the noise down and the hours of use reasonable, especially for that first year.
Later, after the year of use has been established, if you begin using louder guns it should not matter.

Personally, I'd be happy to plink regularly with .22s and occasionally with shotguns and pistols and a couple times a year with centerfire rifles (by far the loudest of all).

What's the difference between "shooting in your backyard" and "having a shooting range" ?
I think a shooting range involves having one or more designated backstops for catching the bullets safely, and one or more designated firing lines with something other than bare dirt under your feet, and a measured distance from the firing line to the backstop. But the law doesn't say that. It's just my guess, at least as it would apply to shooting single-projectile guns. If you're talking a shotgun range for use with flying clays, different criteria would be needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What can be done about someone shooting on their property but bullets cross to our property? They do not have a back stop. We have 45 acres and like walking in the woods and we should not have to worry about stray bullets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What can be done about someone shooting on their property but bullets cross to our property? They do not have a back stop nor do they have our permission to shot here. We have 45 acres and like walking in the woods and we should not have to worry about stray bullets.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Use google maps or google earth and see what’s behind your backstop. No just right behind but what is a mile behind. In a 30 degree arc behind mine there is one dwelling about 1 mile from me. Lots of trees and a 60 foot hill as my backstop but it is nice to know I’m not shooting towards any homes. I’m in Morgan County with a pro gun sheriff so I’ve never had an issue in 25 years. This includes ww1 machine guns, mp5’s and tannerite.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
What can be done about someone shooting on their property but bullets cross to our property? They do not have a back stop. We have 45 acres and like walking in the woods and we should not have to worry about stray bullets.
Have you talked with the someone about the issue?

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Your county ordinances will determine if your neighbor can legally shoot on his property.

As for the safety issue, that may be discussed in the county ordinances also. Have you talked to your neighbor about your concerns?

Reactions: gunsmoker

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
While they may be legally able to shoot (based on laws, ordinances, distances from dwellings and roads, etc.) the shooter is still responsible for every bullet that they shoot. No responsible shooter would be shooting indiscriminately into the woods and assume that everything is ok. I would definitely talk to them and put them on notice that their bullets are coming onto your property and request that they make appropriate changes to their shooting practices. If they don't, I'd reach out to local authorities as, while it may be legal for them to shoot on their property, they can't be using your property as their back stop.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
Have you talked to your neighbor about your concerns?
this may (or may not) be the best first step in putting a halt to the intrusive bullets. I would go politely talk to them and explain the problem. If they become offensive leave the conversation and turn it over to county. I would think most of the people would be concerned with going to prison for shooting someone even without actually trying to.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,448 Posts
Do you know who it is?
Can you talk to them?
Send them a letter?
Suggest they build a backstop,
or use a bigger, taller backstop, and always put their targets right in front if it, almost touching it.

I'd try this nice and reasonable approach first. If that doesn't work, you can always go to the cops and talk about things like reckless conduct and endangerment,
and go to the courts and talk about getting injunctions and lawsuits over a nuisance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, we know who it is. It is actually two neighbors. We bought the property and discovered deer stands and trees that had been cut down to give him a better view from the stand. We were very nice and asked him to remove the stands and no more hunting here. The other had set up a target and had been shooting on our property and bullets could definitely reach our home which is only about 1/4 a mile away. We will speak with them but wanted to know facts first if there is a law or ordinance. I do see where shooting onto our property falls under nuisance ordinance and a wreckless endangerment.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts