Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you carry (if anything) for backup in case your primary carry fails to fire?

If I'm just out normally, I've usually got a 3" pocketknife in my back pocket, steel-toed Docs, and 15 years training in the martial arts... if I'm going somewhere I'm not entirely comfortable, I add a 3-cell Maglite to that.

When I buy a G23, it'll become primary carry, and the Taurus will be a BUG, but I still like the idea of having something that doesn't have to be reloaded.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
jrm said:
If I'm going someplace scary, I like to take MP with me.

I can hide behind him, and only some non-vital bits of me stick out on the sides.
because he carries a MAN'S gun

·
Registered
760 Posts
Largely due to lack of funds I do not have a BUG yet, but I'm going to get one before June. Most likely a Kel-Tec P-11 or PF-9.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My primary gun is a snub-nosed revolver, ultra-reliable. The only reason I would need a back-up gun is if I wanted to not worry about reloading with a speed loader.

Personally, I avoid going to the sections of town where I would need a backup gun in the first place. :wink:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I don't see the need for a BUG myself.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Rammstein said:
I don't see the need for a BUG myself.
Well, no matter how you wear it everyone needs a little (pocket) gun of some kind, especially in this state.

·
Registered
588 Posts
SW 642...it's sometimes primary. I might pickup a P3AT sooner-or-later. As far as for different situations...SOG Flash II, ASP key defender (OC spray), E2D Surfire and sometimes a steel key grouper thing. Sometimes, there are situations its best not to go to your bang switch first. Oh and a cell.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I'm with rajl on this one, primary is a S&W model 60, five shots of .357 and I've never had one fail to go bang. I've given some thought to a BUG, but haven't actually gotten one yet. Maybe some day. Maybe not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gsusnake said:
What do you carry (if anything) for backup in case your primary carry fails to fire?
CZ-P01 as a primary, CZ-2075 RAMI as a backup when I perceive it might be needed. Of course, in my experience, you have to work REAL hard to get a CZ to go FTF on you... 8)

The Packer

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,253 Posts
No backup

I don't carry a backup gun when I'm not expecting trouble. Heck, most of the time I dont carry a spare magazine, although I often have one in my car, my briefcase, or at my desk.

Now if I am expecting trouble, my back-up gun is a compact 9mm in an ankle holster, my primary handgun is a 6" stainless .357 magnum, and my primary defensive arm is not a handgun at all, but rather a long gun. Even if I have to be discreet in an urban environment. One time I had a folding stocked Mini-14 folded in a blanket when I was expecting trouble. And body armor. Can't forget the body armor. With the trauma plate in place, thank you.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I don't carry a BUG. I surely have enough to use one if I wanted but I don't see the point.

If I think I may need one, I'll find another place to hang out, lol.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GAGunOwner said:
If one were to carry two guns to a PG could you be charged with two counts?

Would the second gun be a felony?
Interesting question.

Hopefully I'm not the test case.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,253 Posts
Second Conviction

You have to already have been convicted of the first "carrying a concealed weapon" at the time you do the second act that is the basis of the second charge in order for the second charge to be a felony. At least, that's how I think it works.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts