Backup?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by gsusnake, Apr 27, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What do you carry (if anything) for backup in case your primary carry fails to fire?

If I'm just out normally, I've usually got a 3" pocketknife in my back pocket, steel-toed Docs, and 15 years training in the martial arts... if I'm going somewhere I'm not entirely comfortable, I add a 3-cell Maglite to that.

When I buy a G23, it'll become primary carry, and the Taurus will be a BUG, but I still like the idea of having something that doesn't have to be reloaded.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If I'm going someplace scary, I like to take MP with me.

I can hide behind him, and only some non-vital bits of me stick out on the sides.

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

because he carries a MAN'S gun

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

My BUG is a Kel-Tec P3AT.

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Largely due to lack of funds I do not have a BUG yet, but I'm going to get one before June. Most likely a Kel-Tec P-11 or PF-9.

6. rajl

rajl New Member

My primary gun is a snub-nosed revolver, ultra-reliable. The only reason I would need a back-up gun is if I wanted to not worry about reloading with a speed loader.

Personally, I avoid going to the sections of town where I would need a backup gun in the first place. :wink:

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't see the need for a BUG myself.

8. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Well, no matter how you wear it everyone needs a little (pocket) gun of some kind, especially in this state.

9. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

SW 642...it's sometimes primary. I might pickup a P3AT sooner-or-later. As far as for different situations...SOG Flash II, ASP key defender (OC spray), E2D Surfire and sometimes a steel key grouper thing. Sometimes, there are situations its best not to go to your bang switch first. Oh and a cell.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I'm with rajl on this one, primary is a S&W model 60, five shots of .357 and I've never had one fail to go bang. I've given some thought to a BUG, but haven't actually gotten one yet. Maybe some day. Maybe not.

12. Georgia Packer

Georgia Packer New Member

CZ-P01 as a primary, CZ-2075 RAMI as a backup when I perceive it might be needed. Of course, in my experience, you have to work REAL hard to get a CZ to go FTF on you... 8)

The Packer

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No backup

I don't carry a backup gun when I'm not expecting trouble. Heck, most of the time I dont carry a spare magazine, although I often have one in my car, my briefcase, or at my desk.

Now if I am expecting trouble, my back-up gun is a compact 9mm in an ankle holster, my primary handgun is a 6" stainless .357 magnum, and my primary defensive arm is not a handgun at all, but rather a long gun. Even if I have to be discreet in an urban environment. One time I had a folding stocked Mini-14 folded in a blanket when I was expecting trouble. And body armor. Can't forget the body armor. With the trauma plate in place, thank you.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I just ordered 3 spare mags. I already have 2 but 5 sounded like a nice round number for now.

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I don't carry a BUG. I surely have enough to use one if I wanted but I don't see the point.

If I think I may need one, I'll find another place to hang out, lol.

16. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Interesting question.

Hopefully I'm not the test case.

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Second Conviction

You have to already have been convicted of the first "carrying a concealed weapon" at the time you do the second act that is the basis of the second charge in order for the second charge to be a felony. At least, that's how I think it works.