Background check clarification

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Foul, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Foul

Foul New Member

Here's the deal:

My wife is purchasing for me, as a gift, an M44 Mosin Nagant from a private dealer in California.
    It is being sent to a pawn shop up the road from me (I have used them before without the following problem) as the FFL reciever.
    Both my wife and I have a valid Georgia CCW. Acording to Georgia law, a background check doesn't need to be done if you have a valid CCW, but acording to the pawn shop's webisght:
    "Anyone wishing to purchase or transfer a firearm must pay an additional fee of $10 for the mandatory background check, regardless if they hold a Georgia firearms license."

Is this legal for them to require me to submit to and/or pay for a background check that is not required by Georgia law?

If it's not legal, which department would I contact to press charges on these guys if they attempt to withhold my firearm unless I comply?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes it is legal. You can think of it as a transfer processing/filing fee. You still have to fill out the federal paperwork and the FFL has to keep that on file, regardless of whether or not they have to actually do the NICS check.

Actually $10 for a transfer fee is about as cheap as I have seen it.

Here is a list of some GA FFL's and their transfer fees: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1284

Now, if you had bought the gun from them and they wanted to charge a fee, that I would not stand for. However most (probably all) gun stores will charge a transfer fee if you do not buy the gun from them.

3. Foul

Foul New Member

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I can handle paying the cash for a "transfer" or handling fee, but it irks me to pay for something called a background check when an even more thorough one has been run on me already.
    They use to just charge the $15 transfer fee (which I already paid for their copy of the license to send to the seller).
    Just like government, I guess they'll find new and creative ways to lighten my already anorexic wallet. :shattered:
    Thanks for the quick reply!

*edit due to fat fingers*

4. tony218

tony218 New Member

you must be talking about acme pawn on tara blvd.
    i talked to them on mon. 11-13-06 and they said
    they just haven't updated their website since the
    law change. they DO NOT charge for background
    check if you have a ccw. i was going to use them
    to do the transfer on a gun from budsgunshop.com
    but buds raised the price on the gun by $80.00 since
    yesterday so i will more than likley buy it local and save
    $5.00 to $10.00
    his transfer fee is now $20.00

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't do it for $15! Hard to make a living that way.

6. Foul

Foul New Member

Re: Well....

I don't want Unkle Samski to have the "right" to come in and inspect my books and inventory any time they please. They have no need nor right to know just what firearms I actually have. They have forgotten the saying..."An armed society is a polite society".
    Call it M.A.D...."mutually assured destruction", as long as they don't know just how much of a fight I could put up should they try that New Orleans crap here.
    Yea...I love the Mosins and SKSes. Well built and rugged rifles, easy to maintain and usually very reliable.
    My Kel Tec Sub2k is my "truck gun"...folded up and carried in a brief case with a 10 and a 30 round clip at the ready as well as my sidearm(s).

Now...if I could just hit the lottery so I can afford a .50 cal... :love:

Yea...the M44s are very nice. It'll make a nice companion to my 91/30. Kick like a mule tho, but the muzzle-blast is a sight to see. :twisted:

I use the Acme Pawn on Hwy 85, usually T. It's good to hear that that was a "misprint". I've used them several times before and never had a problem. Very friendly people who seem to be getting slightly attached to my C&Rs that pass thru their hands from time to time.

Next of the shopping list...a CZ-52.

7. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Re: Well....

What is a C&R license

Manwell

8. Manwell

Manwell New Member

9. Foul

Foul New Member

I understand that. But the government has become so corrupt and turned it's back on the citizens so blatantly, that I like to be as much of a hemorrhoid in the government's backside as I can to return the favor.
    They deserve no respect. I give none.

10. Foul

Foul New Member

I also have no books for them to nose thru.
    It's none of their business what I have.