Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime ago I switched from glock to the SR9 then to the smith m&p. The M&P is a great gun, dependable. But I switched back to the SR9. Reason, I shoot it better, fits better, carries better IWB. I have put 880 round through it over the past 4 days. Did not clean it, from the box to the range. No failures of any type to report. The gun shot to the left several inches, sites ajusted its fine now. I know some don't like the trigger but it goes bang when I pull it, the reset is better it seem to me then the Glock and Smith. I can get back on target quicker. I don't care for the silly load indicator on the top, have not made my mind up about the mag safety, I like the location of the safety, I would make it a little bigger If I could, but it works well. Other then that I'm very satisfied. One important thing to me when it comes to EDC firearm is the weapon being 100% dependable. We know any hangun can fail at anytime. Glock does have the proven track record, Smith is gaining ground quickly, Ruger has much more to prove after the first issues with the SR9. But in time as more people watch their pennies I feel this Gun will do great on the market and prove it is dependable as others...... my 2cents. American made (other then mags)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you're interested in making that trigger a little better there is the Ghost Rocket (similar product as used in Glocks) as well as Galloway's CCW Trigger Kit (I'm using this in my SR9c at the moment). The Ghost Rocket requires some fitting (filing), but gives a very nice, slightly lighter trigger pull in the end, crisp reset, very little overtravel. Galloway's kit actually increases trigger pull weight, but the combination of springs used makes the overall feel better, more crisp.

I found polishing a few parts on the internals on my SR9c made a bit of difference, but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
People cant believe my SR9 trigger, I guess I got a ringer. Ive let a few people shoot it and all they say is WOW. It was fine out of the box, then i polished some things and it keeps getting better the more I shoot it.

Mag safety was the first thing I removed and I have filed down the loaded round indicator to be much more reasonable. I cant say its my favorite pistol but its been 100% reliable since day one. Mine may need to go back to Ruger for a new barrel because of the peening and also some deformation Im seeing on the bottom of the barrel where it rides on the locking block....

like a pointy stick, its rough but works

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I carry a 1911, but the one firearm that I've owned, that shot consistently the best out of the box, was an SR-9. I have a target at 200 yards that I can hit 50% of the time. It doesn't get any better than that, and I've never touched the sights.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If the SR9 works for you carry it. Your the one who has to be happy with it, and that is what matters. Ruger likes to put too many user hostile features on their guns for my taste. The SR9 is a great step forward from previous Ruger designs, but magazine disconnects and external safeties are not interesting to me. I don't even care for loaded chamber indicators, but they don't bother me if they are not in the way. If I wanted to deal with an external safety I would just carry a 1911. The Ruger SR9 and the Smith M&P fit my hands better than a Glock, but not enough to make me change.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it comes down to a dependable handgun, exclude gritty trigger, trigger resets and all the other minor complaints, I feel Glock, Smith m&p and ruger sr9 are equally guns to depend on. Most cases when a handgun is used its a short distance,point and shoot. I don't think trigger travel and all the other complaints matter at that point. I'm still very much a glock fan, its the AK47 of the hand guns. The M&P is a fine gun, the Ruger SR9 is as well. I currently carry it every day IWB holster. We have a beekeeping business and I spend hours and hours deep in the wood alone tending to our bees. I carry two gun, my hand gun an my ruger 10/22. I love glock, but for some reason the SR9 has got my attention, on and off the range. Not sure if its the fit, trigger or what. I own a generation 4 glock with replacable back straps. It maybe the fact that my wife carries a ruger sp101 and the 10/22 is allways in my truck, the ruger name grew on me. I know the first sr9's had issues for sure. But for the price it is a great dependable handgun for those like me that have to pinch pennies. I had to ajust the rear site during its first run but that was a quick fix. I use a hand gun for EDC, but the remington 870 HD 12 gauge is the answer at night around our home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts