AZ Lifts Ban On Arming College Police

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GeorgiaGlocker, May 30, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

http://www.officer.com/article/article. ... eSection=1

Updated: May 24th, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- Gov. Janet Napolitano has signed a bill into law prohibiting any government body from preventing state-certified police officers from carrying a gun.

Currently policy doesn't allow certified officers who patrol Maricopa County community college campuses to carry firearms.

"We felt extremely vulnerable because we have gun instances all the time," said Lynn Bray, acting director of security at Mesa Community College and a 20-year Mesa police officer. "I've taken concealed weapons off people all the time."

"It's quite ridiculous. Why hire police officers if you're not going to give them the tools to do their job?" Bray said.

Arming police officers is just one change coming to the community colleges.

Bray said the college has spent the past six months implementing aphone system that can convert telephones into loud-speakers with thepush of a button.

The system could be activated to warn the campus of emergencies. Within the next year, Bray said officials will also create a loudspeaker system for common areas and install electronic bulletin boards forthe hearing impaired.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

......good?....I guess.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Only because they can't handle the fo-tay.

5. Malum Prohibitum

What a terrible suggestion! :shock:

Well, what? You want to leave me disarmed! :roll:

6. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I give AZ credit for being so active with Gun Rights. Atleast they are thinking about this sort of thing. I wish more states were like this...

7. Malum Prohibitum

How does arming government agents relate to "being so active with gun rights?"

8. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Let me clarify:

Whether or not you agree with arming government agents (Who should be armed) is beside the point. The point is that AZ is actively thinking about how to best protect its citizens with firearms on college campuses according to this article. Now whether you agree with how they do it is up to you, but Im sure they will be one of the few that even touches the "guns on campus" argument for a while. I agree that anyone with a license should carry, however you should arm LEO's first as a step in that direction. I dont have a problem with arming agents, but I would eventually also like to see licensed citizens able to carry as well. :2cents:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Well, that logic worked with HR 218, so, it should work . . . oh, wait . . .

10. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Well then lets just not arm anyone and give up trying...

11. Malum Prohibitum

Dan, it is not that I disagree with arming police. I just think it is naive to think this somehow leads to an armed citizenry.

The two concepts are not related.

In fact, it is probably the rise of the modern police state more than anything else that has resulted in disarming the citizenry. It has also resulted in people not wanting to get involved whenever something bad happens. People see that as the job of the armed police officer.

12. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I agree, that it is not their job. However you cannot arm citizens before your arm LEO's in our society unfortunately. I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. My question is, what do you propose we do that is realistic to address the issue stated above?

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I bet we find out before the next half of the state legistation meets up again. :D

14. Malum Prohibitum

Laws apply equally.

LEOs subject to same laws as the rest of us. If they are good laws, then they should apply to everyone. If they are bad laws, then they should apply to nobody.

I feel the same way about Congress and their exemption from social security taxes.

15. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I stated this in another thread but generally speaking LE does not show up until after a crime has been committed. Why? Because they are simply not enough LEO's to cover where you want them to be. Whether it be your local neigborhood or your local College campus.

16. AV8R

AV8R Banned

English 101 would be a good start for Lynn Bray. :? Do they get a discount for working at the campus?