Attorney/Lawyer List for Firearm Charges

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by DogLeg, Dec 11, 2010.

1. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

I would like to have some names of lawyers who have experience dealing with firearm charges in the event I need to lawyer-up. I've never had to hire a lawyer for anything before so I guess I'm looking for a criminal defense attorney right?

If you know of a good attorney, please let me know so I can add them to my contact list. I'm in the Cobb/Douglas/Paulding area.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

The best firearm-related defense attorney I know is Doug King. His number is 404.790.7345 and he's based out of Cobb.

3. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

+1
    I've never had to use him but he is the Best.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

QUOTE: ...I guess I'm looking for a criminal defense attorney right?

MY REPLY: Right. An experienced criminal defense attorney is the kind you want when you're charged with a crime, or you might be in the near future based on something that happened. This doesn't mean the lawyer has to be a gun lover, a Second Amendment advocate, an experienced shooter, a GFL / GWL holder, etc. (But if there are a lot of criminal defense attorneys out there competing for your business, why NOT give the business to one who has similar interests and beliefs about gun rights?)

Doug King is the one I'd call.

I carried his card in my wallet until it fell apart. (no lawyer with half a brain would represent himself in any serious sort of case). He's on my speed dial.

But I also do criminal defense work, and I'm a former prosecutor. In in Cobb County and go to court all over the Atlanta area and points north like Cartersville, Canton, Cumming, and Gainesville.

If you need a civil attorney to file a lawsuit over civil rights violations and that sort of thing, JRM (John Monroe) is your guy. Especially for federal court. He's based in Roswell.

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I've gleaned from here and there that it's important to have a gun-savvy lawyer for a gun-related defense so that he's up to speed on the "culture" and is able to defend effectively against slanted attacks in court. (Darn, I thought there was a good anecdote in this book laying here, but I can't find it.)

For (a weak) example, when the prosecutor trots out, "he used deadly, cop-killer, banned-from-the-military (sucks in his breath) hollow-point bullets!" An unaware lawyer would not know to build a defense around emphasizing that most cops are issued HP rounds, HP rounds are safer because of less over-penetration, and that one agency (New York?) switched from FMJ to HP to see their accidental bystander shooting rate go down. (Or so I've gleaned).

What's the "etiquette" for this sort of thing? I can't imagine that cold-calling DK (or whomever) at 3am for my first contact is a great way to begin a relationship. Is a busy lawyer receptive of get-to-know-you calls beforehand? Ever since SO provided the wisdom that life is much easier if you have a mechanic that knows you, a doctor that knows you, and a lawyer that knows you, I've wondered how to go about doing the third part.

6. ar-trvlr

ar-trvlr New Member

If you need a lawyer at 3am, that's when you should call him. DKing (that's the handle he uses on many boards) is in the business, and is used to getting calls then. Does he like them? Probably not, but it comes with the territory.

He's also a nice guy. I'm friends with him on facebook, know him from AR15.com, have heard him speak at a couple GCO luncheons, and have shot with him at an ARFCOM gathering. Calling (or emailing him) to create a relationship would be fine, but I doubt it's required. He hands his cards out like candy, and I doubt he expects to know all his clients before they need him.

7. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I didn't know you used to be a prosecutor.

I know of some coyotes that need to be "prosecuted".

BTW, not to thread hijack, but who would I need to hire to sue a Superior Court Judge on civil rights violations?

edit: And no, its not Judge Nix:

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_stor ... ropriately

and no, its not former Judge Busch:

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_stor ... ropriately

but it is in the same district.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Doug is the best attorney I have ever used. I've only needed two in my life, and the first one was good, but not thorough. Doug is very thorough, and is very good at what he does. He is very knowledgeable, intelligent, and as I said, thorough. He's also very friendly and easy to deal with.

If you ever needed legal services, especially concerning firearms, he would be the man to talk to.

9. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Care to pass along your contact information?

10. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Every family should have
    1) Mechanic
    2) Wrecker driver
    3) Doctor
    4) Plumber
    5) Lawyer
    6) A local insurance agent

I hate to think that the first time I meet my lawyer is during the bond hearing after I have been out of work for 3 days sitting in XYZ county jail.

I have a whole herd of lawyers that do different things for me. They do my estate planning, civil litigation, represented family members accused of committing crimes, and a variety of other tasks.

11. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

C'mon, Sheriff. I'm working the last item of the list and you add three more. Don't move the ends while I'm making them meet. :)

12. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

"If you need a lawyer at 3am, that's when you should call him. "

What exactly do you expect him to do at 3AM ? Even night court is closed then.

13. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

+1

14. ar-trvlr

ar-trvlr New Member

Assist you at perhaps the most important time - the police interrogation.

Rule 1 of talking to the police - don't. Your attorney should do the talking for you, if at all possible.

15. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Don't talk - of course we all know that (from youtube)

At 3AM, I'd be calling a friend or two to bring checks or cash for the lawyer and the bondsman first thing in the morning.

Then they will both talk to you.

16. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

<shamelessplug> Don't forget #7) Gunsmith </shamelessplug> :wink:

17. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

:righton: