Attorney General Election Race

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by ffej, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ffej

ffej New Member

I am relatively new to Georgia, so I don't know a lot about the state politics yet.
    I heard an interview with AG candidate Perry McGuire (Republican) today on the radio. Apparently the incumbent AG is a Democrat and has been here for a while so he may be hard to beat, but McGuire sounded like someone we want for AG assuming he will serve as a conservative.
    McGuire was asked about the current AG Baker being "endorsed" by the NRA and McGuire said that he, himself also got high marks in their questionarie/rating system, and the interviewer interjected that the NRA likes to endorse minority leaders so it was not neccessarily a mark against McGuire - whatever that means.
    So, I guess my question is - who should we want in office to best support our 2A rights?

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Thurbert Baker - all the way. He has shown himself, on more than one occassion, as a true and tried friend of the 2nd Amendment.

He is not a traditional democrat in the sense...

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

i agree with ICP 110%
    MR. BAKER is getting my vote this year.

4. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

I agree with that Baker should remain in office. :righton:

5. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I will also be voting for Baker. He has proven himself a supporter of the Second Amndment.

I saw somewhere that he has filed an amicus breif in the 'Parker' case in DC in support of Parker and against the DC gun bans. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think you saw it here!

7. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I think Baker is a true friend of the 2A.

8. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Thanks MP. Now where are my car keys???

9. merlock

merlock New Member

I'll be voting for Baker as well.

10. Pede

Pede New Member

Vote: Baker.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Well, unless Wiggins comes out and says, "I will issue an opinion to the first official that asks for it that 60 days, as used in O.C.G.A. 16-11-129, means 60 days and that any fool who can read ought to be able to figure that out."

12. Malum Prohibitum

Mike Bowers had a high rating from the NRA, too. High ratings from the NRA are kind of like getting high grades in public school - not so tough.1 As a result, number 5 does not tell me much. Number 4 worries me from time to time.

Care to offer a more detailed analysis of number 3? My recollection of his opinion was that he nailed what the statute states. My recollection could be faulty. Recall that the AG's job in giving opinions is to state what the law is, not what he would like it to be.

Bowers, the former Republican AG, you will recall, gave an opinion that the Georgia law did not permit concealed carry, when it has been interpreted to permit concealed carry for a long, long time, and the statute plainly speaks of carrying concealed. The legislature quickly added "may be concealed by clothing" to slap that opinion down.

I do not automatically claim Democrat = bad, Republican = good, although that might be true more often than not.

1. For those of you with kids in public shool, I am sure your school is great. It is all those other schools.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No Reason to Change

Perry McGuire looks like he would be a friend of gun owners and the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense. So why not vote for him? Because the incumbent, Baker, is also pro gun. And it's not speculation, and we don't have to take his word for it. Baker is known to be as pro-gun as the law and controlling precedent permit. Baker hasn't given me any reason to be displeased with his performance in office, so why not let him keep his job?

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well to my knowledge he or his underlings have not initiated a request for reciprocity with any state. EVERY state that has been added in the last 4 years have had to send a letter to our AG first. I was CC'ed when the Missouri letter was sent to our AG and it took 4 months for a press release to be issued. Nothing needed to be decided, our law already says if they accept ours we accept theirs, so a letter stating they accept ours is enough.

About the drug pardon opinion. Yes it is basically stated in the law that a drug conviction exempts you from a gfl regardless of a pardon. So yes, a pardon for a murder, you can get a GFL, a pardon for being convicted of having a joint on you in 1975, you cannot get a GFL. That is not the AG's fault, that is in the stupid law.

For those that don't follow the NRA ratings, a endorcment of a Democrat basically means that either
    A. The Democrat is the incumbent and is moderately pro-gun (even if the Republican challenger is rabidly pro-gun)
    B. They both are equal in ratings but the Democrat is most likely to win because that is who the people will vote for (like DeKalb will elect Democrats everytime).