Atlas to Shrug on April 15

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Taler, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Taler

Taler New Member

2. moga

moga New Member

Excellent. A movie that I'm actually interested in seeing. Thanks for bringing it to the board.

3. RickN

RickN New Member

I'll watch it due to its subject matter but I'm not holding much hope for the quality of the film. Little/unknown actors, director, and writers; a production company producing its first film; a budget (5 million) less than that of a some TV show episodes.

How did a movie that was being sought after by A-list stars end up here? Expiring rights: John Aglialoro's right were set to expire June 15, 2010, so he wrote the screenplay (his first one ever) in May, hired Paul Johannson to direct (his second film ever) on June 4, and started filming on June 13. He's been trying to make this movie since 1992 and he had to pull something together in the last 6 weeks of an 18-year attempt.

I am not convinced that parts 2 and 3 will ever be seen.

I really wanted a big budget, big promotion, 1500-screen release for this book.

4. moga

moga New Member

I'm actually encouraged by the small production budget and the absence of big ticket Hollywood actors. Hopefully as a consequence the film will not be watered down with all of California's social agenda BS that they advance through the film industry.

5. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Interesting that the director also plays John Galt. Heck, I would have done the same thing.

Small name doesn't mean small talent. At least they're not trying to cut it to ribbons to fit in a single 2.5 hour slot.

I'm looking forward to it.

6. RickN

RickN New Member

True, but when the actors being considered drop from a couple dozen A-list possibilities to "Who the hell is that"-list, something is not going well.

Like I said. I'll watch the film but low budget, inexperienced (or amateur) cast/screenwriter/director/production, and rushed filming? That combo doesn't spell 'high quality'.

7. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Armin Shimerman's in it, so it will at least have one good part.

8. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

looking forward to this. I have heard the producer wanted to be as true to the book as possible. We shall see.

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

You'd have to do Atlas in a large "mini" series or something. Or a 6 hour movie or something. I think John Galt's speech alone would take up an hour or so of film time. The book is a beast, and for it to stay true, it would have to be really long.

It will be cool to see what they do with it, one way or the other. Good or bad. I hope it is good for the sake of the freedom movement. Get more people involved, wake more people up.

10. Taler

Taler New Member

Good point... hence Part 1 of 3 (recall Lord of the Rings, except not a fantasy.)

11. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

The trailer was just released, if the movie is anything like it depicts I think it will be pretty good. I just hope there's a theater nearby that is showing it on April 15th. I am really looking forward to this movie, I just hope it is good
    http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/atlas ... ie-trailer

12. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Thanks for posting the trailer! It looks like it was done right! I think technology has come a long way that now allows a few people with a couple of nice cameras with some movie editing software can do a top notch job with a limited budget.

Now if it can just promote itself strong enough to have people demanding it at their theaters. Send this trailer around folks and get people to check with their local theaters to make sure it is shown. Might wake a lot of sleeping Americans with this message, if they think they are out to see just another movie.

13. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Somehow Quark being in the movie seems fitting :p.

Although some younger people might remember him as the principal on Buffy.

14. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

When you first said Quark I was thinking of this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077066/

Showing my age I guess....

15. Tubbith

Tubbith Member

I got the book for Christmas. After watching the trailer, I need to go ahead and get the book read before April. If it in the theaters somewhere in GA, I'll be there.

16. no clever name

no clever name New Member

I've read it once and listened to it on mp3 three times. Like mentioned above a series or miniseries is the best way to fully convey all the aspects of the book.

They'll have to condense JG's big speech though, if they don't, imo, they'll have people leaving the theater. They should play Fransico's speech to Rearden at the party twice to give people time to digest what he just said.

I thought I had seen somewhere that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt purchased the rights to the movie.

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Whoa, Angelina and Brad are both pretty liberal.

18. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

19. fiwit

fiwit New Member

I recognized both those women in the clip. Can't remember their names, but they've been in movies before. So it's not *all* unknowns.

I like the guy that plays Henry Reardon.