Atlanta Zoo Off limits?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ls1ssdavid, Sep 15, 2007.

1. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I am plaining on going to the Atlanta Zoo located in Fulton Co. Now I looked under our handy off limits list on this site, looked at the zoo's offical website's rules and did a forum search. I can't find any info on carrying a firearm in the Zoo.

Now I don't believe it is state owned or operated. I wouldn't classify it as a public gathering (But i'm not a lawyer). And I have no personal experiance with going and seeing metal detectors or anything of that nature. I know the aquarium is off limits and they will check your firearm. But what is the deal with the Zoo?

Obviously, I would like to carry most likely concealed. And expecially because what I remember from years ago it wasn't in the nicest neighborhood. So... Does anyone have personal experiance or knowledge?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Malum Prohibitum

It's in tace's neighborhood.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

The aquarium will actually check your firearm?

5. Malum Prohibitum

They will?

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

???

On topic though, I would conceal at the zoo myself.

7. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I did a search of zoo and nothing popped up. :sly:

Yes, when I went to the Aquarium I didn't carry my firearm. But I did carry my pocket knife. Security checked it for at the door. I assume they would do the same for a firearm.

8. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I just did a search again and those two threads did pop up. :screwy: I was at work however. I wonder if that has something to do with it... :shock:

9. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The Aquarium security sent me over to a room ajacent to them. I walked inside where a security officer took my knife about a 3 1/2 inch CRKT (a little larger than an average pocket knife). Then placed it in an envolope, then placed it inside what looked like a lockable cabinet, and handed me a claim ticket.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Will they do the same for an AR 15?

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Would they treat a firearm the same way?

12. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Haha Yeah, I can imagine that going well. Excuse me where can I put this...? :shock:

Seriously I wonder if they would check a pistol. But they sure did check my knife.

I think I will give them a phone call during hours of operation tomorrow.

13. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Atlanta Zoo security stated on the phone that only police officers can carry firearms within the zoo. I assume that is park policy and obviously not state law.

14. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

You should get an e-mail address and send them some links to stories about cops gone bad and ask if they're allowed to carry there too.

15. tace

tace New Member

I am guessing City of Atlanta has something about carrying in city parks, which the Zoo is in. You'll be safe around there during the day, unless the gorillas decide they don't like you :lol:

Now, drive a few blocks in any direction and you'll end up in a not so great neighbourhood. Well, going south there is the fed pen, east the GSP HQ. North and west some seriously questionable places, including the braves ball park ;)

Anyway, if you need back up, just yell for me. I can walk there in a few minutes.

If you are looking for a place to eat, there are some really good places on Memorial around Boulevard and South Cherokee.

16. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

The zoo seems to like to play this game both ways. They claim on one hand to be a private non-profit and then on the other they claim to be a City of Atlanta Authority.

They have claimed to be a government entity so that they can receive certain things from a certain state agency gratis rather than pay like a private entity would have to pay.

I have been told by their higher ups that only certain parts of the zoo organization are part of the non-profit. I have been told the facilities are still owned by the city. Therefore I would not carry inside of any building (fairly easy to accomplish). Just don't visit the reptile house or go to the potty.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Not for long

:wink:

18. Malum Prohibitum

Nah. My "guess" is a private corporation.

http://corp.sos.state.ga.us/corp/soskb/Corp.asp?688266

19. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

Did anyone ever figure out if the Aquarium will hold your gun for you when you get to the door?