Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Atlanta zoo and aquarium

5K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Phil1979 
#1 ·
If there is no "public event", they should be, unless publicly owned, correct?

Who owns them?

Are either/both of them off limits?

#3 ·
Why oh why did I agree to move to Georiga?

Hate to say it, but plans do not call for living there very long...for a few reasons...this being the top of the list.

However...why do you believe they are off limits? As far as I can tell the aquarium, at least, is not a publicly owned building...and if you can just go to the aquarium without going to a specific event being held at it...legal?

Your state's laws SUCK!!!!

#4 ·
I've heard that you have to go through a magnetometer before allowed entrance to the Georgia Aquarium.

And I believe that the Atlanta Zoo is publicly owned, but I am not 100% on that.

Yeah, the laws do suck, but that's why we have GCO working to fix them.

#5 ·
I don't know about the Zoo, but the aquarium is off-limits because alcohol is served for on site consumption inside. I also hear that they wand people before they enter, so I think you would have a hard enough time carrying as it is.

#6 ·
Even in Indiana private owners can set their own rules and check for weapons, Warp.

I am not sure why the Zoo would be off limits.

Who owns it?

If it is publicly owned, then the buildings would be off limits.

#12 ·
Do you think the metal detectors at the aqaurium would pick up a small metalic item? Something the size of... oh, a fishing hook? :twisted:

#16 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Even in Indiana private owners can set their own rules and check for weapons, Warp.
It never carries the weight of law. I don't have to worry about whether or not a freaking zoo or aquarium is off limits.

I LEGALLY carry in places that would be off limits in Georgia about ten times a week right now...sometimes more.

You cannot even BEGIN to compare our laws with those of GA.

#18 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Warp said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":1ix5fztc]Even in Indiana private owners can set their own rules and check for weapons, Warp.
It never carries the weight of law.
It does not here, either.[/quote:1ix5fztc]

My view: It doesn't need to, because there is a very good chance that it is (or might be, and who wants to be test case?) off limits anway.

#19 ·
It is not so much that it is off limits by law (well it is b/c of the alcohol), rather off limits because of the security they have in place that would make taking in a weapon very hard.

#20 ·
Rammstein said:
It is not so much that it is off limits by law (well it is b/c of the alcohol), rather off limits because of the security they have in place that would make taking in a weapon very hard.
It is illegal to carry any deadly weapon there.

Are you saying that one should completely ignore the law and not worry about what is and is not off limits? That might not look so good if one has to use their ILLEGAL weapon in self defense...

It is off limits and it should not be...like most other places in the state of Georgia...I don't see how anybody can argue with my statement that Georgia carry laws SUCK.

#21 ·
Warp said:
What is the basis for that? I have seen a couple people mention alcohol, but I'm not sure the aquarium really does sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. I think they do serve alcohol in the ballroom for special events, but even then it may not be "sold for consumption on the premises." So, I'm not sure it is illegal to carry "any deadly weapon there."

Were you relying on something besides the alcohol sales to conclude that it is illegal to carry there?

#22 ·
jrm said:
Warp said:
What is the basis for that? I have seen a couple people mention alcohol, but I'm not sure the aquarium really does sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. I think they do serve alcohol in the ballroom for special events, but even then it may not be "sold for consumption on the premises." So, I'm not sure it is illegal to carry "any deadly weapon there."

Were you relying on something besides the alcohol sales to conclude that it is illegal to carry there?
I am relying on:

Having read the GA statutes and seeing how broad and vague they are; posts by others in this thread, one of which stating alcohol is served; the fact that if it is a gray area where the first person caught becomes the test case may as well mean it is off limits to me.

Nobody being sure if it is or is not off limits because the laws are so vague that just about anything could be found as off limits is the biggest reason.

Then there is the fact that, according to at least one previous court ruling, if a few teenagers or gang bangers are hanging out in the parking lot I am illegal as soon as I drive up. :roll:

#23 ·
Warp said:
Are you saying that one should completely ignore the law and not worry about what is and is not off limits?
Every individual will have to assess what they are willing to do, what line they are willing to cross.

Warp said:
That might not look so good if one has to use their ILLEGAL weapon in self defense...
Probably not. But you know what they say about being tried by twelve.

Warp said:
It is off limits and it should not be...like most other places in the state of Georgia...I don't see how anybody can argue with my statement that Georgia carry laws SUCK.
And I don't think people will argue with you about that.

However, it is one thing to whine about something and something else completely to try to change that which you do not like.

#24 ·
What about the AG opinion, regarding public places, specifically when he mentions a shopping mall

In the same vein, this office concluded that a shopping mall is not a public gathering; the fact that people may be present, even in large numbers, does not necessarily constitute a public gathering. 1984 Op. Att'y Gen. U84-37. Of course, portions of a shopping mall leased to a church or to a government agency, or where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises, are areas to which the Code Section would apply by its own terms.

Now I have never been to the aquarium, but it would appear that you could carry there, just not in the areas that serve alcohol. :?:

#26 ·
slabertooch said:
What about the AG opinion, regarding public places, specifically when he mentions a shopping mall

In the same vein, this office concluded that a shopping mall is not a public gathering; the fact that people may be present, even in large numbers, does not necessarily constitute a public gathering. 1984 Op. Att'y Gen. U84-37. Of course, portions of a shopping mall leased to a church or to a government agency, or where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises, are areas to which the Code Section would apply by its own terms.

Now I have never been to the aquarium, but it would appear that you could carry there, just not in the areas that serve alcohol. :?:
Well, the opinion of the AG is just that...an opinion. Nothing legally binding there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.