Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/source-aps-police-missing-at-least-30-handguns/355130142

Channel 2 Action News has learned that the Atlanta Police Department is investigating the suspected theft of as many as 30 handguns from Atlanta Public Schools.

The actual police work for APS has been done for decades by the Atlanta Police Department, but the school district has its own security director. And it turns out, the district purchased a small arsenal of expensive semi-automatic pistols.
When Belcher started asking questions, the school district said no APS guns were stolen. But APS now acknowledges there is an open investigation.
About the guns in question, there are several unanswered questions.
When and where were they last seen? To whom were they assigned? And did APS report the apparent thefts to homeland security? Belcher is working to get answers to those questions.
Ahh this is rich coming from the same City that sits on a stockpile of confiscated weapons so as:
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?t=267380&highlight=confiscated+guns
"What we do is try to work to be good partners in terms of getting guns off the street in the City of Atlanta and to the extent that we're successful doing that, i think that we help the flow that goes to New York,†Reed said.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My first reaction was to darn near fall over laughing! My second was to go shove it in the face of some left-wingers and ask why weren't the thieves background checked?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Well, I imagine those of us with a GWL could carry our pistols on our person in schools without managing to get them stolen. Yet, we are still not trusted to carry in schools. Imagine that.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
On the one hand, I'd commend them for arming school personnel for the possibility of an event at an Atlanta school.

On the other, somebody's got some 'splainin to do. I got money on this being an inside job of sorts.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Yep. 30 pistols don't walk without some organization and planning from the inside.

On the one hand, I'd commend them for arming school personnel for the possibility of an event at an Atlanta school.

On the other, somebody's got some 'splainin to do. I got money on this being an inside job of sorts.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I guess those laws requiring reporting gun thefts within 24 or 48 hours under penalty of criminal charges aren't working so well.

Oh, wait. Those laws are only for civilians.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Wonder if the guns were ever even ordered or if someone just fudged the books

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
They came up gone before they were issued?

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,530 Posts
I guess those laws requiring reporting gun thefts within 24 or 48 hours under penalty of criminal charges aren't working so well.

Oh, wait. Those laws are only for civilians.
Did APD join the military?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A hallmark of Atlanta's bureaucratic efficiency.
I was listening to an old Neal Boortz clip from the 70's when he was on Ring Radio. During the news break, they mentioned the "cheating scandal" of the APD. Glad to see that Atlanta keeps up with the status quo through the years. I can see Kasieem (Spelling? Yeah, don't care) Reed running for AND WINNING the White House one day. He's a perfect fit...

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...trict/357613734?ecmp=wsbtv_social_twitter_sfp

Quotes (as requested)

Atlanta's school superintendent says the district is confident no weapons recently purchased by the Atlanta Public Schools district are missing.

But Dr. Meria Carstarphen is less certain about weapons purchased as far back as 2005.
APS said its current investigation began with an anonymous tip that the district was missing 30 semi-automatic handguns.
Carstarphen told reporters an initial investigation has verified the district can account for all 90 Glock semi-automatic pistols recently purchased for the new police department. She said the district provided inventory records for 18 other handguns acquired as far back as 2005.

Carstarphen said the district can also account for those 18, but she admits APS’s older record-keeping is imperfect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts