Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've just graduated college, and the job outlook isn't so hot. Considering my two direct family members in LE, I have always considered becoming an officer, but the only department that seems to be hiring and putting recruits through POST is Atlanta. Any officers have any input with moral, pay, and general conditions of the department/precincts?

·
68,510 Posts
pwrlifter12 said:
but the only department that seems to be hiring and putting recruits through POST is Atlanta.
Absolutely not true.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I'd take Gwinnett PD over Atlanta any day. A friend of mine is in the Gwinnett PD Uniformed Division and says it is a decent job.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
had a buddy that just graduated from GT and is now a officer with the Georgia Tech Police.

seems to be the best gig in the metro atlanta area as far as LEO.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
If that is really what you want to do just apply for every Department you think you would want to work for (City, County, whatever) the process can be sort of drawn out depending on the Dept. so might as well have it going on more than one front. There are almost always openings even if they don't advertise. Dept's that have a real shortage of officers will advertise and do recruiting campaigns - to me it would indicate that that particular dept may be really stretched thin....don't know if that's where I would want to work if I was a LEO....just my :2cents:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
pwrlifter12 said:
...have any input with moral, pay, and general conditions of the department/precincts?
As a recruit expect to be treated like an inmate slug for 6 month to a year with a slick shaven head everyday. You will be considered slime.

Moral from officers is very low. Many feel ripped off by the department about pay and know they won't be taken care of if they get hurt.

Pay is high for GA local law enforcement officers to START. You will probably make more in the academy than many other departments pay officers on the street. Since you have 4 years of college you will get about $42K after the academy. The drawback is that Atlanta almost never gives its officers a raise so you are going to hover around that $42K mark for years. You do not pay into social security so to many that is a plus. You do not get a take-home car.

If you get injured the department will not take care of you. If you get injured the department will not take care of you. If you get injured the department will not take care of you.

I've heard that often the city doesn't even provide each patrol car with a shotgun.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
If I was going to go into that line of work I would think smaller city dept's would be better.....maybe not quite as much money but you aren't just a number you actually can know most of the people you work with (depending on the size of the city of course).

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
Go to http://www.usajobs.com and look up federal LEO jobs. Starting pay is better than most anything you'll see in county or city offerings, and you'll have better benefits, job security, and retirement.

When you go to the site click the link for advanced search, and enter 0025 as the series# to look for park ranger jobs, and 0083 for police jobs.

The site will let you enter and save a resume. Don't try to puff it up, but do enter as much as you can. The federal govt doesn't have a problem with long resumes. And when you apply for a job, enter as much pertinent information as you can in the narrative part of the online application, and try to reference each item back to the corresponding item on your resume.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
.....I've heard that often the city doesn't even provide each patrol car with a shotgun.
I've seen this in more than one large urban department in traditionally liberal areas of the country. For example, when I was living there, NYC's NYPD patrol vehicles were not equipped with shotguns or rifles. Up until the early 90s they allowed patrol officers on solo patrol to carry a shotgun in limited circumstances, but no longer. The street patrol officer carries only their 9mm handgun, for anything more than that, ESU is called in.

NYPD issued shotguns to ESU, Harbor unit (they have limited back-up), some detective units-(that execute warrants), Organized Crime(Narco-PMD, and so on-to execute warrants), Highway Patrol, maybe a few other specialized units, but that is about it.

This may have changed, but I still think it is accurate for the most part. On the other hand, in contrast to this is the LAPD, which I believe issues shotguns to patrol officers.

Personally, I would not want to be on the job without my 870.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
BSCLibertarian said:
If I was going to go into that line of work I would think smaller city dept's would be better.....maybe not quite as much money but you aren't just a number you actually can know most of the people you work with (depending on the size of the city of course).
Yes, but it is often a trade-off for the young officer. A downside of the smaller departments for the young officer looking to gain experience quickly is that in many cases they simply don't offer the officer development opportunities as rapidly as the larger departments can. Often this is just simply because they just don't have as many specialized units and the wait to get into the units they do have is long and in many cases overly political. In larger departments, in some cases after just a few years on the job in patrol you can be eligible for promotion or advancement into specialized units, and move around amongst them. For example, APD has:

* Youth or Community Services
* School Detectives
* Cyber Crimes
* Electronic Surveillance
* Intelligence Squad
* Homeland Security
* Financial Investigations
* K-9 Unit
* Motorcycle Unit
* Helicopter Patrol
* Bike Patrol
* Airport Section
* Mounted Patrol
* Criminal Investigations
* DUI Task Force
* Auto Theft Task Force
* Executive Protection
* Gangs and Guns
* Narcotics Enforcement
* S.W.A.T. / Red Dog
* Fugitive Unit
* Vice Squad

Other large cities offer additional specializations such as Harbor Patrol Units, etc. You don't see this much in many smaller city PDs and even if you do, the specialized units are very small and movement in and out is often very slow. I am not saying this is the way to go for everyone, but something to consider in regards to career development, even if you move to a smaller department later on in your career.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
There are some positives.

APD issues the M&P 40. You are provided 100 rds free a month. You can carry a backup handgun. It has to be any S&W semi-auto. in 9mm or 40 cal OR any .38 spl. revolver. You are required to carry an approved APD handgun while in the city limits.

You can also be allowed to qualify and carry in your patrol car a personally owned rifle.

Also, APD isn't very strict about not allowing you to work at certain places for extra jobs, most places are gtg with approval.

If you stay long enough to retire you can stay on as a sworn officer with rights to wear the uniform and work extra jobs if you volunteer for the department so many hours a year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the replies.

As far as carrying only a pistol, I know the officers in my family each purchased their own AR's and shotguns, qualified with them, and keep both in their car as well as a backup pistol on their ankle. As long as they allow this, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
someone suggest that the City of Atlanta not paying into Social Security was a good thing.....and I am sure it was, as long as the retirement fund wasn't in danger of going broke, as it is now. In fact, the City of Atlanta is discussing returning to Social Security.....

Google it.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just keep an open mind, there are some departments that will want you to work in the jail first, then put you through POST. In my opinion working in a jail (Hall County 1200 beds) made me a much better officer today.

Hall County is pretty decent, though our pay has been frozen for three years, we are still on monthly furloughs, and they've suspended retirement contributions for a bit.

Most friends I talk to at Gwinnett SO never want to leave.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
pwrlifter12 this might interest you.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta ... 92533.html

The foundation is offering $1,000 bonuses for officers to relocate to the city.

But other choices will be offered: short-term city housing for recruits while they’re in training; rent-free and rent-discounted apartments in exchange for officers providing security while off duty; discounts on home purchases; and reduced interest rates on home loans.

The foundation will work with landlords, community groups, developers and banks to offer the incentives.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Always remember pepper spray stops dogs as do Tasers. Leave the gun alone. :righton:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
APD does not issue tasers to officers (except for maybe SWAT or something like that?).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts