Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know atlanta has lots of idiots, but i just gotta know.....

are there people in atlanta who are actually fooled by that communications tower that is disguised as a tree? i mean seriously, a 100+ foot spruce tree in downtown atlanta hopefully wouldnt be fooling anyone, and the antennas sticking out of it are atleast a slight giveaway......

that is about the stupidest thing ive ever seen. is it some new government scheme to reduce depression in birds or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
LMAO are you talking about the one thats past the Tolls over on the left? From what I understand about those, they tried to keep as much REAL trees through there. For the cell companies to add the tower it had to be disquised. Honestly if you didnt pay attention you would never notice, but to answer your question, nope I was never fooled lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TippinTaco said:
LMAO are you talking about the one thats past the Tolls over on the left? From what I understand about those, they tried to keep as much REAL trees through there. For the cell companies to add the tower it had to be disquised. Honestly if you didnt pay attention you would never notice, but to answer your question, nope I was never fooled lol.
thats the one........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
and I'm sure it costs us hundreds of thousands of dollars! :-s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,403 Posts
A large number of the population pay very attention to what's going on around them. Making something less noticeable makes it invisible to those wrapped up in their little world.


Az
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
I saw one, one day and thought the exact same thing, 308.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
308sniper said:
ok, i know atlanta has lots of idiots, but i just gotta know.....

are there people in atlanta who are actually fooled by that communications tower that is disguised as a tree? i mean seriously, a 100+ foot spruce tree in downtown atlanta hopefully wouldnt be fooling anyone, and the antennas sticking out of it are atleast a slight giveaway......

that is about the stupidest thing ive ever seen. is it some new government scheme to reduce depression in birds or something?
New? Mobile towers have been camouflaged as trees for well over ten years to make them less of an eyesore for the local property owners. In addition, it's meant to mollify the city councils that grant permits for the erection of a new comm tower in city limits. To some people it is not aesthetically pleasing to look up at a tower only to see all of the transceivers jutting out in all directions. I don't know why you would think them idiots. Covering up mobile towers is a very common practice that is seen all over the United States.

This is the second post of yours I've read this evening in which you've hurled an insult at the people of Atlanta. There are quite a few members who frequent this forum that live ITP and far more that are metro folk in case you haven't noticed. What exactly is your issue?
 

·
Swollen Member
Joined
·
11,929 Posts
308sniper said:
ok, i know atlanta has lots of idiots, but i just gotta know.....

are there people in atlanta who are actually fooled by that communications tower that is disguised as a tree? i mean seriously, a 100+ foot spruce tree in [s:22yui9k9]downtown[/s:22yui9k9] Buckhead Atlanta hopefully wouldnt be fooling anyone, and the antennas sticking out of it are atleast a slight giveaway......

that is about the stupidest thing ive ever seen. is it some new government scheme to reduce depression in birds or something?
All better...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moga said:
New? Mobile towers have been camouflaged as trees for well over ten years to make them less of an eyesore for the local property owners. In addition, it's meant to mollify the city councils that grant permits for the erection of a new comm tower in city limits. To some people it is not aesthetically pleasing to look up at a tower only to see all of the transceivers jutting out in all directions. I don't know why you would think them idiots. Covering up mobile towers is a very common practice that is seen all over the United States.

This is the second post of yours I've read this evening in which you've hurled an insult at the people of Atlanta. There are quite a few members who frequent this forum that live ITP and far more that are metro folk in case you haven't noticed. What exactly is your issue?
red - you been in the city too long...... i aint sure about ALL over the united states, everywhere ive been this is the only one ive ever seen.

blue - i havent thrown an insult at the people of atlanta, but i can if you want me to. all ive said is that there is a nice fat concentration of idiots there, that seem to think there is nothing suspect about a giant fur tree, 3 times taller than any other tree for 30 miles, that doesnt bend in the wind, and has antennas sticking out of it, further proving they would rather mask themselves from the truth and live in a nice little daydream.
 

·
I'm kind of a big deal
Joined
·
5,243 Posts
Yeah, you're right we didn't know that was a cell tower until you pointed it out to us. Thanks, I was a wonderin' what that thar funny lookin' tree over yonder was. Dang, it ain't a tree at all it's one of them new fangled "sale towers" :rotfl2:
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,384 Posts
It's the law in many areas: here is Milton's code: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx? ... me=Georgia

(4)To encourage the design and construction of towers and antennas to minimize adverse visual impacts;
Stealth technology installation means manmade trees, clock towers, bell steeples, light poles and similar alternative-design structures, that in the opinion of the city council, are compatible with the natural setting and surrounding structures, and effectively camouflage or conceal the presence of antennas or towers.

EXAMPLES OF STEALTH TECHNOLOGY
There is a very good stealth tower in Milton off of Providence Rd. If you look closely at it, it clearly is fake, if you just glance at it, it doesn't scream tower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
mountainpass said:
It's the law in many areas: here is Milton's code: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx? ... me=Georgia

(4)To encourage the design and construction of towers and antennas to minimize adverse visual impacts;
[quote:bkcxem4h]Stealth technology installation means manmade trees, clock towers, bell steeples, light poles and similar alternative-design structures, that in the opinion of the city council, are compatible with the natural setting and surrounding structures, and effectively camouflage or conceal the presence of antennas or towers.

EXAMPLES OF STEALTH TECHNOLOGY
There is a very good stealth tower in Milton off of Providence Rd. If you look closely at it, it clearly is fake, if you just glance at it, it doesn't scream tower.[/quote:bkcxem4h]

My condolences to the folks of Milton for "having a nice fat concentration of idiots there, that seem to think there is nothing suspect about a giant fur tree, 3 times taller than any other tree for 30 miles, that doesnt bend in the wind, and has antennas sticking out of it, further proving they would rather mask themselves from the truth and live in a nice little daydream."

apparently.

:screwy:
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,384 Posts
AtlantaJames said:
mountainpass said:
It's the law in many areas: here is Milton's code: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx? ... me=Georgia

(4)To encourage the design and construction of towers and antennas to minimize adverse visual impacts;
[quote:3uv62b4t]Stealth technology installation means manmade trees, clock towers, bell steeples, light poles and similar alternative-design structures, that in the opinion of the city council, are compatible with the natural setting and surrounding structures, and effectively camouflage or conceal the presence of antennas or towers.

EXAMPLES OF STEALTH TECHNOLOGY
There is a very good stealth tower in Milton off of Providence Rd. If you look closely at it, it clearly is fake, if you just glance at it, it doesn't scream tower.
My condolences to the folks of Milton for "having a nice fat concentration of idiots there, that seem to think there is nothing suspect about a giant fur tree, 3 times taller than any other tree for 30 miles, that doesnt bend in the wind, and has antennas sticking out of it, further proving they would rather mask themselves from the truth and live in a nice little daydream."

apparently.

:screwy:[/quote:3uv62b4t]
I just used Milton as an example, other cities around GA and the country have adopted these type of regulations.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,384 Posts
Statesboro
B.Minimize adverse visual impacts of towers and antennae through careful design, siting, landscape screening and innovative camouflaging techniques;
This part is important as the metro area doesn't have wide open areas to place towers:
In certain locations where the visual impact of the tower would be minimal, such as remote agricultural or rural locations or developed heavy industrial areas, the landscaping requirement may be reduced or waived by the Director.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,384 Posts
Metter

B. Minimize adverse visual impacts of towers and antennas through careful design, siting, landscape screening and innovative camouflaging techniques;
Idiots...
"Alternative tower structure" means manmade structures such as clock towers, bell towers, church steeples, water towers, light poles and similar alternative-design mounting structures that camouflage or conceal the presence of antennas and towers.
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,108 Posts
Some of the "fake tree" communications towers look more realistic than others.
It also matters if there are some other trees around it.
I don't know if I'm thinking of the same tower you are, but I have seen one in Atlanta that looks like the center pole from an artificial Christmas tree with only about 1/3 of its branches installed. It looks more like giant toilet scrub brush jammed into the earth handle-first.

And it's all by itself, with its ugly silhouette sticking up against the background of the sky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
There is one on Ronald Reagan between Lilburn, and snellville that looks terrible. It sticks out like a sore thumb from a mile away.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top