Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On today's AJC.com, the Atlanta Police Department has agreed to pay $40,000 and re-train its officers
to explain to them that it's not obstruction of an officer to videotape uniform cops doing their job in public
and it's not illegal for you to ignore their order to stop recording them, and it's a civil rights violation for them to take your cellphone camera away and confiscate it until they can figure out how to delete the footage.

QUOTE:
... the city will pay Kautz and Copwatch of East Atlanta $40,000 in damages. APD will also adopt an operating procedure that prohibits officers from interfering with citizens who are taping police activity, provided individuals recording the activity do not physically interfere with what the officers are doing. The policy is to be adopted within 30 days after the Atlanta city council approves the settlement, and training is to be carried out during police roll calls.

"We commend the city for resolving a long-standing problem of police interfering with citizens who monitor police activity," the group's lawyers, Gerry Weber and Dan Grossman, said.

..."Commanders have made it clear that Atlanta police officers in the field should not interfere with a citizen’s right to film them while they work in public areas," Campos said

SORRY, I don't have a LINK to the story.

·
Registered
563 Posts
gunsmoker said:
On today's AJC.com, the Atlanta Police Department has agreed to pay $40,000 and re-train its officers
to explain to them that it's not obstruction of an officer to videotape uniform cops doing their job in public
and it's not illegal for you to ignore their order to stop recording them, and it's a civil rights violation for them to take your cellphone camera away and confiscate it until they can figure out how to delete the footage.

QUOTE:
... the city will pay Kautz and Copwatch of East Atlanta $40,000 in damages. APD will also adopt an operating procedure that prohibits officers from interfering with citizens who are taping police activity, provided individuals recording the activity do not physically interfere with what the officers are doing. The policy is to be adopted within 30 days after the Atlanta city council approves the settlement, and training is to be carried out during police roll calls.

"We commend the city for resolving a long-standing problem of police interfering with citizens who monitor police activity," the group's lawyers, Gerry Weber and Dan Grossman, said.

..."Commanders have made it clear that Atlanta police officers in the field should not interfere with a citizen’s right to film them while they work in public areas," Campos said

SORRY, I don't have a LINK to the story.
This is good news!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
A fourth amendment victory, in this day and age, against Atlanta PD, no less? Wow. First Mubarak agrees to resign and now this.

Big props to Mayor Reid and Chief Turner for demonstrating again that they respect the law of the land. Not that politicians should be praised for playing by the rules, no. Quite simply, Frankin/Pennnington didn't demonstrate a shred in their eight years. They weren't bound by or to anything. This duo of Reid/Turner has made some honorable moves in what, twelve months? It's refreshing, and I hope City Hall keeps it up.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
moga said:
A fourth amendment victory, in this day and age, against Atlanta PD, no less? Wow. First Mubarak agrees to resign and now this.

Big props to Mayor Reid and Chief Turner for demonstrating again that they respect the law of the land. Not that politicians should be praised for playing by the rules, no. Quite simply, Frankin/Pennnington didn't demonstrate a shred in their eight years. They weren't bound by or to anything. This duo of Reid/Turner has made some honorable moves in what, twelve months? It's refreshing, and I hope City Hall keeps it up.
Well he'll keep it up as long as he's here...I believe he is looking at the next stage. He is going to appear on "Meet The Press."

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Whoa! That is great! Thank you for posting this gunsmoker. I'm so happy to hear that. :righton:

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
Not directly related to the story, but it appears these CrimeWatch people know about lamp posts too.

(They might be some good folks to have around during an OC event)
Officer Mcknight was hilarious
"How you doin'?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts