atlanta-cops-caught-deleting-body-cam-footage , it's a culture shift

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by NTA, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yes, Shocked I say!

Nemo

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If that's not leadership I don't know what is. :popcorn:

jag_357 likes this.
  4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Are officer disciplinary records obtainable via open records requests?

From the article:

These results shouldn't shock Atlanta residents or readers of this site. It doesn't even shock Atlanta Police officials. Police Chief Erika Shields says she's "not happy" with the results of the audit, but also "not surprised." She excuses her officers actions in the worst possible way:

"I knew that what we are asking of officers is a culture shift."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on Chief Erika Shields' excuse:

How about you just do your job and make sure your officers follow instructions and do their job properly?

Her lame excuse reworded is basically, "Well, what can you do? Cops will be cops."

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Considering her job was to prevent Atlanta police from noticing the previous Mayor's legal transgressions, I'd say she's doing some damn fine policing.

6. diamondback

diamondback Well-Known Member

Totally wrong what was done, but I can't help but recall there was a time that bodycams were not worn and all these people did not have cell phones out recording cops. We appears a safer and more moral nation years ago. Wonder what happened?

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

What happened is the attitude of the cops in general. At one time you could actually have a conversation with cops. Now unless you are one of them for the most part you are considered the enemy. This is not saying all cops have this attitude. Just what at one time was the exception is now more the norm. There are some really nice friendly cops that don't have the better than us air about them. They are just far and few between.

jag_357 likes this.
  8. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

"Appears" is the operative word. We also had three national news programs that were essentially identical. There were no dissenting channels. We only got one viewpoint. There was rot, we just didn't see it. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yep, appears. Things were not reported. If you do not see it on TV, then it is not true. If you see it on TV, then that is reality. It is perception, and that is all.

You chances of dying by being shot to death are much lower than when you were a kid.

Your kid's chances of being shot to death in school are much lower than your chance of being shot to death when you were in school.​

Both of those statements are likely to be challenged as being incorrect, but the basis for the challenge is perception, not reality.

jag_357 and AzB like this.
  10. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I agree on both counts.

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

They didn't have to worry about cameras on them so the cops got away with whatever they decided to do. Provided they remembered what the report was supposed to say when they wrote it up.

As in-- he was so stoned he fell down 5 times in the 10 yard walk back to the car even when Off. Friendly had his left arm and I had his right, to make sure he didn't fall. We tried to keep him up but he twisted away from us and fell down. We were unable to prevent his injuries.

Nemo

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

We, as a whole, stopped being a moral nation years ago. Individual groups within that overall set became even less moral.

jag_357 and diamondback like this.
  13. diamondback

diamondback Well-Known Member

Bingo. That is part of the reason. Not that its an excuse, but cops often expect attitude. The cops in major ciities really expect it.

jag_357 likes this.
  14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Atlanta is a city whose authorities have contempt for the little people, and whose government jobs are seen as secure no matter what. That emboldens them to do things like, for example, solicit and take bribes for public works contracts, leases for space a the Atlanta Airport. Like, for example, Atlanta public school teachers engaged in widespread cheating on standardized tests, changing the students' answers to raise their scores (and thus earn bonus payments to themselves and other fellow ATL teachers).

It's a good old boy network of black scofflaws.

That being said, I'd bet that most of these "violations" of the video recording policies were minor and technical. No intent to defraud or deceive. Nothing important was deleted. Most of the time, it's just a matter of the cops not being disciplined about following procedures, and playing loose with the rules.

It's like how a restaurant can get a low score on a "health inspection report" for things like having cobwebs in the corners of the ceilings (way up there? What does that matter?), storing cleaning products on the same shelves as cooking products (tell me your kitchen doesn't have PAM spray oil on the same shelf as glass cleaner), or having an uncovered sauce pot in the refrigerator for even a few minutes. Not every violation is a real violation in my mind. Some are just technicalities.