Atlanta Citizen Hero But Cops Screw Up

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Malum Prohibitum

This makes me want to go spend some money at the Relapse Theater on 14th Street, his business.

3. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

Could he have done a citizen's arrest if prepared to do so (armed)?

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Doesn't surprise me. I was once behind an obviously drunken driver. The guy was literally all over the road and the shoulder as well. I followed him with my hazard lights on and called the police. I literally followed him so long that I ended up changing jurisdictions and had to call another agency. Eventually I was told that all the officers on duty were busy and I should stop following the driver.

In another situation, when I ran a grocery store in Pensacola, FL, I was on duty when a man who was definitely on some type of drug attempted to strongarm rob the store. While I managed to get him seperated from the cashier he was holding onto and away from the customers standing in line my front-end manager, who was an ex-cop, called into 911 and told them we were being robbed. Somehow it got reported to the police officers that there was a "disturbance" at our location, so they didn't put a priority on it and didn't arrive until the robber had been gone for at least 10 minutes. That last situation, by the way, was the one that made me start carrying a firearm.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I personally can't believe this guy chased the dude while having his son along with him. He also put himself in a bad legal spot as if the incident had gone to a deadly force situation, the fact that he chased the guy would have made an affirmative defense much more difficult.

For the record, I don't like police vehicle chases except for the most extreme circumstances such as a forcible felony in progress. Chasing for a misdemeanor traffic violation is absurd.

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Legacy, I agree with you that the guy shouldn't have been chasing this guy with his child in the car. Alone? Maybe. But with his kid? I think that showed some bad judgement.

I thought that leaving the scene of an accident where you had caused injury was a felony offense though, not a misdemeanor. Am I wrong?

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

+1

The BG could have easily exited his vehicle and walked toward the "hero" with guns-a-blazin' instead of just mean-muggin'. Didn't sound like this weenie had a firearm, or much of a clue for that matter. His heart was in the right place, but his brain wasn't. I wonder how his baby mama reacted to him putting her little man in danger like that?

8. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I would think it is too. And i'm pretty sure most departments don't engage in car chases unless a felony is know to have been comitted. They just get the tag number and follow up later.

9. Malum Prohibitum

It was a "low speed" chase, guys.

10. Malum Prohibitum

It sure was.

If criminals knew that everybody would react this way when they witnessed a crime, there would be a LOT less crime.

11. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

So you mean it was more like a follow, than a chase.

12. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I also didn't read that he got the guys tag number. Or if he did, that the police at least followed up.

13. legacy38

Low speed or high speed, it's absolutely stupid to engage in something like that with your five-year-old along for the ride.

Once again, legally this guy was on dangerous footing should a deadly force encounter have ensued.

40-6-270 covers leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries. It is a misdemeanor.

Chase policies vary widely from department to department. GA requires that chase policies be written, but it doesn't specify what the policy must contain. Some will "chase to the wheels fall off" for a simple misdemeanor traffic offense. Others will only chase for a forcible felony in progress. The trend has been toward the forcible felony standard, but a recent SCOTUS decision basically giving chases a thumbs-up may send it in the other direction. The case in question was a GA case (out of Coweta County IIRC).

14. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Interesting. I always thought that leaving the scene of an accident with injuries was a felony offense. Thanks for pointing out the statute legacy.

But to follow-up on the chase itself ... while I agree the guy wasn't exercising good judgement since he had his child in the car with him, how did it put him on dangerous footing if a deadly force encounter ensued?

Consider this scenario. I am following someone I have seen run into someone else and leave the scene. As I follow this person, giving play by play action to the 911 operator, the person I am following decides to get out of their vehicle and point a firearm at me. In defense of myself, I pull my firearm and shoot them dead. According to statute, I have done nothing wrong, so how would that put me on dangerous footing?

15. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Did that guy have a firearm to defend himself? If not, dangerous footing. And his kid, too.

16. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Under this situation, I agree. DUMB. But if he was able to follow without the guy knowing and at a distance, I could see it being reasonable.

17. legacy38

I would say that since you were actively engaging in a such a situation it could be turned against you. The "stand your ground" thing applies if you are legally where you are allowed to be. If you are violating traffic laws to stay in behind the guy are you legally allowed to be where you are? Granted this story doesn't mention such occurrences, but it is a realistic application. Also, are you "provoking" a deadly force encounter by your pursuit?

I mention these things as points to ponder and don't suggest that things would definitely go this way, but we all know how such issues can get twisted.

I can tell you that should I have rolled up in a police vehicle on a wreck scene like this one, my first priority would have been to render aid to the wounded person in the other car and not to chase the guy.

18. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Oh absolutely. No doubt about that at all. I was assuming that someone else already had that situation in hand.

19. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

That should be the case when ANYONE stops at a wreck. Let somebody else sort out the hit-and-run. Even if you're not trained in first response, a bystander can do a lot of helpful things for anybody who's not a major trauma.

Oh, and by the way, if you see a wreck, DON'T KEEP DRIVING. Do the right thing and stop (not directed at anyone in particular, but at the world as a whole)