Atlanta Botanical Gardens - OC Today

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by Phil1979, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member

I originally calculated, based on the court date that got postponed, that they could take until March 2018 to issue a ruling. That was using a link that MP posted. I didn't take the time to recalculate, but I would assume it could be as late as March or later.

2. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Prediction: We lose the battle but win the war.

As has been suggested earlier in the thread, even if we win the battle and get the courts to actually believe the legislature meant what the plain language says, the Powers That Be (TM) will make sure it won't apply to NFL and MLB leaseholders. But it will take a legislative fix. Most likely it will be through some exception with crowd/building size like North Carolina does. However, any change in Georgia gun laws has to go through the Public Safety "gun" subcommittee that our friend Rick Jasperse heads up. Gee, I wonder what us "gun nuts" might trade for a "large event with screening" exception? I would gladly trade GWCL holders included in the OCGA 16-11-130 list but nothing short of that. Again, I am just blue-sky thinking. I got no inside track nor do I make stragety for GCO. I pay my dues, call\write when I need to, show up when I can, and am grateful for the results.

Short term is if we win in court. I give it a 50/50 this time around. I suspect it will take one more rewrite by the legislature to craft language that even a judge can't twist around. Then we get a ruling that supports our rights that becomes a valuable token to trade.

Don't expect we will get the right to OC in a MLB or NFL game. That ain't gonna happen for decades if ever. But we can make them provide real security, lockers, and get a lot of our rights back in return.

3. Clark

Clark Member

I thought the stadiums were doing screening based on being government buildings where meetings were held?

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Apparently, it doesn’t matter what the legislator passes, it is how it actually gets codified.

5. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Yep, code commission gets to write the law now as long as legislators sign off on it.

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Code Revision Commission = Oops, let's change our mind on THAT law! We are such kidders!

7. aarolar

aarolar Member

So my wife and I are planning to visit the garden this afternoon. Are we good to conceal carry? Do they have a screening/detector to pass through?

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

9. Phil1979

Almost three months after oral arguments at the GA Court of Appeals.

I hope we'll know something at least sometime in January.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  10. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Me too. This latest move by the City of Atlanta is pretty brazen. Not leased to a private firm, no tickets, open to the public. Only "managed" by a private promoter and Voila!, no more pre-emption. That's far less control than others like Pirkle Park, where we prevailed.

Phil1979 likes this.
  11. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Prediction #2. The court issues a ruling against GCO based on some fantasy interpretation of the law less than two weeks after Sine Die. That gives their "precedent" the maximum time before the legislature can try and explain it to them once more, slowly.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

This. I see no possible way GCO will win. The court would rule that up is really down before siding with GCO on this case.

13. Phil1979

There are some smart law-making folks under the Georgia Gold Dome.

I imagine some might even be following this thread.

Will they put forth and pass a bill to fix this once and for all? I know they know how.

Perhaps we will know soon how much they respect state preemption.

14. Malum Prohibitum

15. Malum Prohibitum

P.S. In case of confusion, the docket date, when filed, is not the operative date, but the calendar date October 2017, so I am using the August 2017 term decision date . . .

16. Malum Prohibitum

This is from a trial court order back in September of 2016 . . .

17. Malum Prohibitum

http://hallboothsmith.com/blog/hbs-...when-will-the-appellate-court-decide-my-case/
    A good explanation for those wanting to further study decision dates at the Georgia Court of Appeals.

"The application of this rule is confusing because our natural tendency is to think that the date of filing or date of docketing is when the clock starts to run. Our instinct is wrong in this instance due to the wording of the Georgia Constitution. The confusion is also compounded by the phrases “date of docketing” and the date the case is “entered on the Court’s docket for a hearing.” Those phrases mean different things: The “date of docketing” is the Court’s formal recognition of case initiation. A case might be docketed in April, but that same case might be entered on the Court’s docket for a hearing in July. Just remember the latter date (July) starts the two-term clock running."​

18. Malum Prohibitum

Post from July. This is repeated info, but I thought some of you might think it is helpful.

19. Malum Prohibitum

See the link in previous posts to see what this case is about.

#289 GCO Appellate Brief
    #304 Gardens Response
    #327 GCO Reply​

20. Malum Prohibitum

http://georgiacarry.com/company/botanical_garden/AC_Brief_of_Dev_Auth_of_Fulton_County.pdf
    Amicus Curiae Fulton County Development Authority
    1. GeorgiaCarry’s interpretation of the Statute risks
      hundreds of millions of dollars in economic development
      and job creation

http://georgiacarry.com/company/botanical_garden/AC_Brief_of_Atl_Chamber.pdf
    Amicus Curiae Metro Atlanta Chamber

To put it bluntly, it would threaten havoc on the State of Georgia’s economic development ​

Some big legal names stacked against GCO.