Atlanta Botanical Gardens - OC Today

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by Phil1979, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

OC'd for the first time at ABG today. Bought a one year family membership and said hello to a couple of employees as I walked in. Passed by an APD officer as I was headed to the restroom and said hello to him.

Later on in the day, I passed by a lady talking on a cell phone, and when I was a few steps away I heard, "We've got a gun here...<unintelligible>...guy with a gun".

She just sounded mildly surprised, and the tone could have even been described as pleasantly surprised.

I didn't get "swatted", so I'll consider it a good encounter. :lol:

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:lol: Good for you man. You've got some large ones for sure.

3. Phil1979

Thanks, EJR! I've also got an email from their management stating, "The Garden's policy is no weapons except as permitted by law."

And since the law allows me, there you go. ;-)

4. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

Great job, Phil. I haven't been there in years, my wife has talked about us going again. Maybe we will again soon.

5. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

With a niece getting married there soon, I might have to wear one of the new barbeque guns and try to add a little class to the place (not me....the pistol...)

6. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

OC'ed all day Saturday and all day Sunday in Piedmont Park, along with several other GCO members at the Atlanta Pride festival. APD was really great, and we had several good non-encounters and conversations with them (we corrected one officer's misinformation that OC was legal in Georgia without a GWL; he confirmed it and thanked us for the info). Most people didn't notice, those who did were curious but didn't freak-out (just one weird citizen encounter but the guy was off his meds or otherwise intoxicated). No problems whatsoever with APD or the security staff. Great weekend carrying in the park!

7. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

It blows my mind that still in this day some leos think its legal to oc without a gwl

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Right. Don't take your legal advice from police officers. You will learn that one the hard way.

One cop says openly carrying a handgun without a GWCL is fine, the next cop arrests you, correctly, and you get pinched for real.

9. Dirty J

Dirty J BANNED (not really)

Just think of the dumbest person you have at your work...

Every job has "that" guy... no matter the industry. :shattered:

Cops are just people like the rest of us...

10. Phil1979

You may want to hold off OC'ing there for the time being. I'll let you know later why.

11. Dirty J

Dirty J BANNED (not really)

At ABG or Piedmont park?

12. Phil1979

At ABG.

13. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I wonder if she calls in people with cell phones too. :-k

14. Siege

Siege New Member

Would like to know Phil's reasoning for not carrying there.

Is the ABG a public institution or on public land? From a quick check, it looks like they are a private organization operating the Garden on public land on a 50-year lease from the City.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

He didn't say not to carry. He said not to OC.

16. mb90535im

mb90535im Active Member

Saw today where GCO has filed suit against the botanical gardens since it is publicly owned property.
    I guess some people and organizations are just having a hard time with HB-60.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/gun-rights-group-sues-atlanta-botanical-gardens-to/nh59K/

They couldn't resist slamming the "guns everywhere bill".

17. Clark

Clark Member

So is this what Phil was hinting at earlier?

18. Majicsteve

Majicsteve El Conquistador

I heard Phi;s story on the regular guys today.

19. papacarry

papacarry Member

Channel 2 is running a story on it during their 5:00 newscast. Waiting for it to air to see how they spin it and/or get things wrong.

20. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014