Atlanta assault weapon ban?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by mswicord, Oct 2, 2006.

1. mswicord

mswicord New Member

WSB TV reported at 11p tonight that the City of Atlanta has passed a resolution to ban assault weapons! Councilman H. Lamar Willis is the sponsor of this ban after his mother was shot with an AK 47 in June of 06. The Councilman states “Atlanta can ban what ever weapon we want.†Willis hopes this ban will become statewide.

What happened to the State law that prevents local governments from passing laws that restrict firearms?

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm not sure where to begin.

I'll wait until I see something concrete.

He's a nobody anyways. Less than a nobody actually.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Altlanta assualt weapon ban

The state law will cause the city's new law to be overtuned in court if they ever try to enforce it, at which point this blowhard will be in the media again, whining.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

5. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

The great CONcrete jungle of the south!!!!!

If he knew he was somebody that would be somthing but he is nobody.
    The problem with sheeple like this is they start as nobodies and then somebody listens. With the shrinking of the Atlanta boundries soon it will be like Detroit a liberal concrete jungle. It will be interesting to see if they try to go against the state law. If they do, we should bring a class action suit against them.
    Take care
    TJ

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I looked all around the web on wsbtv, ajc, and the city council meeting agenda for last night and couldn't find anything about this. Anybody else see something in print somewhere?

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:screwy: :shakehead:

The General Assembly says, =; [-X

O.C.G.A. 16-11-173.

(a)(1) It is declared by the General Assembly that the regulation of firearms is properly an issue of general, state-wide concern.

. . .

(b)(1) No county or municipal corporation, by . . . ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner . . . the possession, ownership . . . sale, [or] purchase . . . of firearms . . .

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Malum Prohibitum

Nor was it discussed at the previous two meetings in September.

10. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

So is this all a bunch of hot air.

11. Purge

Purge New Member

What I heard on the news last night was that they want semi automatics that LOOK LIKE assault weapons banned throughout the state. It's a lot broader than assault weapons.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

A semi-auto that looks like an assualt weapon IS an assault weapon. That was half of the federal law was just 2 out of 5-6 certain accessories added to a semi-auto. Either that or they just want all semiautos that have 1 of those accessories. Maybe these are Clinton democrats that don't know what "is" means.

So they would like to pass one, but either have no chance of actually passing it or they know that even if they did pass a law, it would have absolutly no power to be inforced.

13. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

A state wide ban! Hah, what do they think, we're California?

MOLON LABE

14. Malum Prohibitum

Does anybody have anything more on this?

Is it a resolution calling for state action, or something else? I just want to know if this is a matter relating to O.C.G.A. 16-11-173.

I have not yet seen any of this on the news.

15. mswicord

mswicord New Member

I have more info

I've received a reply form the the councilmans office...and the resolution

To be clear resolutions are not laws but declarations; which in no way violate or trump existing Georgia laws. The city of Atlanta cannot and has not introduced legislation that bans assault weapons. I have attached the resolution for your clarity.

Regards,

Melanee Farrah

Melanee A. Farrah | Chief of Staff | Councilman H. Lamar Willis | Atlanta City Council | 55 Trinity Avenue, S.W. | Atlanta, GA 30303 | 404.330.6041 | mafarrah@atlantaga.gov

A RESOLUTION
    BY COUNCILMEMBER H. LAMAR WILLIS
    URGING THE 2007 GENERAL ASSEMBLY TO SUPPORT A BAN ON THE MANUFACTURE, TRANSFER AND POSSESSION OF SEMI-AUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS BY SUPPORTING AUTHORIZATION OF A FEDERAL ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN.
    Whereas, Assault weapons are semi-automatic firearms designed with military features to allow rapid and accurate spray firing and are not designed for ‘sport;’ they are designed to kill humans quickly and
    effectively. Whereas, Assault weapons have been used in many mass shootings, including: The July 18, 1984 massacre at a McDonald’s restaurant in San Ysidro, California, which left 21 dead and 19 wounded.
    The January 17, 1989 rampage at an elementary school in Stockton, California which left 5 children dead and 29 children and one teacher wounded;
    The April 20, 1999 massacre at Columbine High School in Colorado which left 13 dead and 23
    wounded; and
    The October 2002 sniper attacks in the Washington, D.C. area, which left 10 dead and three
    wounded
    Whereas, The state of Georgia has no restriction on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic
    assault weapons like the AK47 and Uzi, and no restriction on the sale or possession of rapid-fire ammunition
    magazine that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading.
    Whereas, Since the federal law did prevent the sale of some assault weapons and rapid magazines
    manufactured after 1994
    Whereas, The federal assault weapons ban (18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.) prohibited the manufacture, transfer and
    possession of semi-automatic assault weapons and the transfer and possession of large capacity ammunition
    feeding devices (i.e., those capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition). The law banned 19 named assault weapons, and copies or duplicates of those weapons, and any semi-automatic firearm with at
    least two specific military features and the ability to accept a detachable magazine (the latter criterion did not
    apply to shotguns).
    Whereas, The ten-year ban passed by Congress on September 13, 1994 expired on September 13, 2004, as
    part of the law's sunset provision.
    Whereas, The federal assault ban was upheld by federal courts. See Olympic Arms v. Buckles, 301 F .3d 384 (6P
    th
    P Cir. 2002), Navegar, Inc. v. United States, 192 F .3d 1050 (D.C. Cir. 1999) cert. denied, 531 U.S. 816
    (2000).
    Whereas, Nationally, 77 percent of Americans – including 66 percent of gun owners – support renewal of
    the ban.
    THEREFORE, BE AND IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED THAT THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF ATLANTA urges the Georgia General Assembly and Governor Sonny Perdue to encourage authorization of
    a federal assault weapons ban; and
    BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the Municipal Clerk is hereby directed to forward a copy of this
    Resolution to the Governor of the State of Georgia and all members of the Georgia General Assembly.

16. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Are those support percentages correct?

What the hell is a "rapid-fire ammunition magazine"

Grrr... I wish they'd let us use our own terms of art without basterdizing them or making up news ones and pinning them to use through force of media.

The AWB didn't prevent the transfer of hi-capacity magazines.

I hate that someone is dreaming up this type of stuff but it only proves to me that there is "the city of Atlanta" and "the state of Georgia"

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

well even if those stats were correct, which I doubt, most people don't know what exactly makes an assualt weapon that the law prohibited.

Also, does it not strike anyone else as strange that 2 of the 4 mass shootings they site happened while the Fed assault weapon laws were active?

An AW bill was introduced in GA's General Assembly in 2004. It got nowhere. And when I say nowhere, I mean the author was the only sponsor and it quickly died in committee.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2003_04/search/hb1380.htm

18. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Wow, the "Assault Weapons Protection Act"

That's some double speak.

I like how pump action rifle was included. Proof yet again that the anti's are always trying to expand out what an "assault weapon" is.

19. Malum Prohibitum

mswicord - thanks for locating and posting the Atlanta resolution for us.

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

DC Sniper

So the City of Atlanta councilman wants to cite the Washington DC "sniper" killings as a reason to ban AR-15 type rifles, because the killers in that case used such a weapon, and such weapons are designed to kill large numbers of people rapidly with their accurate spray of bullets from 100-round magazines?

Hmm.... does this turkey realize that the DC snipers fired an average of one shot every 48 hours? What kind of "rapid fire spray" is that? And who cares how many rounds the magazine held, when they only fired the weapon ONCE during each crime?

But I do agree with the councilman as to one point. Generally speaking, most of the guns that had been banned under the Federal Assault Weapon law WERE designed and marketed for use against humans, not for sporting use, and they WERE and ARE more effective as weapons than the average sporting rifle. That's why we want them for self-defense and for homeland defense. When a burglar breaks into Joe Deer Hunter's house and steals a Marlin .30-30 lever action, society is not endangered to the same level as when that burglar breaks into the home of Mr. Triggerhappy Guncollector and makes off with a semi-auto UZI and several 30-round magazines.