Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
A couple dozen from what I heard; commercial side was still in operation and only the passenger side was affected.

Conspiracy theories abounded though, as usual.

Reactions: EJR914 and Adam5

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The terminals were dark. The tower was fine.

Reactions: EJR914

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, makes tons of sense

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,652 Posts
ATC still had power.
The terminals were dark. The tower was fine.
These.

I would suspect that the only reason they stopped landing planes was because with the terminals out of power there was no way to move the jetways. ATC and the tower are federal facilities, and being facilities supporting the world's busiest airport, I would be floored if they didn't have both separate power supplies and immediate generator backup.

The airport terminals themselves - owned by the City of Atlanta, if I'm not mistaken. Entirely possible that they did something as stupid as not pay their Georgia Power bill.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
No power for ticket scanners meant that planes could not be boarded.
No "shore power" for planes parked at gates.
No train system.
No escalaters/elevators.

Reactions: EJR914

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,939 Posts
I don’t remember where, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the fire damaged the switching system that switches from primary to backup power.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's a wonder there weren't riots. Imagine all of those people delayed, cold, hungry, and in the dark, all because of incompetence. Cell phones barely worked, if at all, and because people were using the lights on their phones and running down the batteries, there was no way to recharge them. I know I would have been more than extremely pissed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
This is one of the reasons that I take a fully charged Mophie external battery with me when I travel.
I have one of those too, and take it with me when I expect I might need a remote recharge. I also have spare cell phone batteries that I can charge in advance. But I bet 90% of those airport victims didn't have anything like that.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
I'd bet you are about 7% to 8% low on your estimate.

Nemo

Reactions: AtlPhilip

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,172 Posts
Ever been to NYC or DC ? If not, you ain't seen nuttin yet.

From my visits to Atlanta I feel confident with this.

Nemo

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Boortz roasted the city of Atlanta about this this morning. Apparently there was quite a lengthy delay in getting police and fire on the same because they were forced to go through security.

And the mayor, who is known for using fully lit police vehicles to get around traffic in town (unlawfully), apparently took 4 hours to show up at the airport to assess the situation.

The best thing this state could do would be the seize the airport from the city of Atlanta.

·
Registered
847 Posts
And the terrorists are taking notes on government reaction, every time something like this happens.

Yes - Atlanta is one very corrupt craphole.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Boortz roasted the city of Atlanta about this this morning. Apparently there was quite a lengthy delay in getting police and fire on the same because they were forced to go through security.

And the mayor, who is known for using fully lit police vehicles to get around traffic in town (unlawfully), apparently took 4 hours to show up at the airport to assess the situation.

The best thing this state could do would be the seize the airport from the city of Atlanta.
I usually love what Boortz has to say but he's off the mark there. Airside security is federal. I despise the TSA and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they demanded nude pictures of first responders before they could go put out the fire, but assuming they did, there wouldn't be anything Atlanta could do about it.

And why would the mayor need to go there at all? He's not a firefighter and a Kim Jong Un style photo op doesn't help anyone. Better to stay out of the way and let the firemen do their jobs, and go visit after the immediate crisis is under control if he wants.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I went into the secured part of the airport several years ago, through the back door, after driving through the back gates, and walked right in to take measurements for some decorative column covers we were bidding. I worked for a small company. I went through absolutely no security at all. And yet they make emergency personnel go through security during an emergency, when it is quite obvious who they are and why they are there? Something is very, very screwed up about all of that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.