Athens - Repairman pulls gun on would-be thief

Discussion in 'In the News' started by zxd9, Dec 21, 2006.

1. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Interesting because there is no mention of the person having a gun permit or any negative comments.

Cici's Pizza is part of a strip mall and is located 2-3 doors down from Loco's Grill and Pub. They serve alcohol and technically share a parking lot with Cici's. Is this an off-limits place then?

http://onlineathens.com/stories/122106/cops_20061221041.shtml

Story updated at 12:34 AM on Thursday, December 21, 2006
    A man working on the roof of an Atlanta Highway pizza shop Tuesday saw someone trying to break into cars, climbed down from the roof and confronted the would-be thief with a gun, Athens-Clarke police said.

The 46-year-old Statham man was repairing an air-conditioning unit atop CiCi's Pizza, 3190 Atlanta Highway, at about 11:15 a.m. when he saw Nicholas Ivan Grover acting suspiciously in the parking lot below, according to police.

The man climbed off the roof when Grover tried to open the repairman's van, police said. When the repairman confronted him, Grover said he thought the van was his cousin's and then asked for a job, according to police. "I'll give you some work," the repairman reportedly told Grover as he pulled a gun, prompting Grover to run into a nearby store, where officers arrested him, police said. Grover, of Loganville, was charged with two counts of criminal attempt at entering auto.

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 122106

2. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I can't imagine CC's being prohibited. Locos yes, the common parking lot, I don't think there is any way a cop could stretch a case like that.
    Looks like the bad guy got what he deserved.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I agree, I think you either have to be in a lot that is only used by what is a public gathering (stand alone with only its customers using the lot) or if it is a common lot, you would have to be using the lot and entering into the place that is a public gathering (CC's and Locos sharing a lot and you enter the public gathering-Locos and not CC's)

4. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I don't even think the parking lot would be a "public gathering" unless there was a car show, circus, riot, demonstration or something going on in the lot.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Already caselaw against it;
    It is also the UnOfficial Opinion of the AG: u96-22
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u96-22.htm (second to last paragraph)

6. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I am familiar with both those cases.........I am going to get some time over the holidays to sorta flesh out my thoughts on this...hang on