ATF to Issue Ruling, New Restrictions on Shotgun Importation

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by GAGunOwner, Jan 21, 2011.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

http://blog.princelaw.com/2011/1/20/atf ... mportation

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Just saw this link on another website.

3. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

ATF has a both at the shot show?

I bet that is the most popular both there!!!

4. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

I have a feeling Saiga owners will be disappointed..

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

A couple of the new Taurus guns introduced at the Shot Show have been pulled. Don't remember the names one was a 28 gauge....

6. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i will get one while i can..... :lol: :love:

7. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

If you click on the ATF Firearms link on the page, there is an update today on the situation. It sounds more like something that is imported in a certain configuration will be subject to the ruling than what is done after it is in the country.

I still don't like the ATF interpretations on things without any law to support it. It's a slow choke hold on the firearms business that people forget about each time something like this happens.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Imported with the ability to accept detachable magazines and with a buttstock that's not an integral part of the receiver, maybe? :screwy:
    If you read something "creatively" enough, you can justify almost anything. I suspect that in 1934 the phrase "destructive device" was meant to Exempt shotguns and shotshells because they were particularly suitable for sporting purposes (as at No time has a military ever been equipped for combat with shotguns.)
    And by equipped I means as Standard issue, not specialized equipment like sniper rifles, M3 carbines, or flame throwers.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If BATF ruled that a combat shotgun, with a bore over 1/2 inch (that's both 12 and 20 gauge, right?) was a destructive device rather than a sporting shotgun, would they be totally wrong?
    Look at the definition of "destructive device" under federal law. I think 1968 was the year Congress amended the NFA to include those kind of weapons.

If you have a semi-auto firearm and it uses high capacity magazines (twice the ammo capacity of a typical sporting shotgun) and had other tactical features that were of little or no interest to hunters or clay target shooters, and if the bore diameter is well over .50 caliber...
    ... would BATF be correctly or incorrectly call it a destructive device?

(P.S. If you tell me that there are shooting games and competitions for "combat" or "tactical" shotguns, I'll reply that there always will be competitions for ANY weapon. Field artillery cannon. Machineguns. If hand grenades were legal and didn't cost so much for civilians (maybe $100 per grendade, plus $200 each for the transfer tax) there would be grenade-tossing competitions too! Just because somebody somewhere invented a game to pay with a weapon doesn't make it a sporting weapon. That was clearly not the intent of Congress.)

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I don't think Congress ever intended any shotgun to be considered a DD.

11. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

That'd be down to C or 40 gauge. A 36 gauge would be just over the line.

I see a bucket of rules coming out of the ATF followed by a modernize the ATF movement to get NFA transfers handled in say a week. Something where FFLs could electronically submit forms, and trusts or fingerprints. I also figure at some point the '86 ban will be undone whether through the courts or legislative action. It is a DD now? So what, pay $200 and come back in a week...

While I'm on my NFA wishlist, I'd love to have an also-authorized category on record for NFA devices. What if my wife and I have matching 9mm cans and I happen to take the wrong one to the range that day? If I do that with a pistol, I just wind up cleaning her's when I'm done with it. What is the difference?

NOTE: I'd rather not have NFA at all, but I'm not hopeful it will go away in my lifetime.

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If you want to have multiple people authorized to use your NFA weapon or silencer, I think you can do that through a trust.

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

You mean peope who aren't saiga owners. Those of us with one will be happy at the increase in value of our toys. :lol: ... :sly: .... :evil:

14. EJR914

This. :righton:

15. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I didn't buy mine in the last 48 hours, but I wish I would have bought more MD arms drum mags back in december when they were cheap. :(

They just raised their price back up to $120.

Also in the news the promised BATFE Study RE: shotguns

LINK

16. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

And if I had a dime for every time the word "sporting" showed up in that document, I'd probably have just paid for a tax stamp...
    :puke:

17. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I checked MD arms on the price for drum magazines this afternoon. They were priced at $120 and there were 400 something in stock. I just checked and they are out of stock...

Link.

8)

18. EJR914

Sure they did. Its a reasonable restriction on our right to keep and bear arms.

19. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

-- http://www.survivalblog.com/index.html

20. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I have read this report and commented to the ATF. One item to note, spring conservation orders for goose hunting allow for no shell limits on guns. I, for one, mentioned this to the ATF in regard to their magazine capacity restrictions for importation. Perhaps you may want to do the same.