Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thing of buying a house and thought having a shooting range would be nice for both archery and guns.
Can anybody point me to any laws regarding this?
Also if you have any info on planning, safety, not freaking out the neighbors, etc. please let me know.

·
Swollen Member
11,956 Posts
My biggest concerns would be containment and lead toxicity.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
How many lanes do you want? I would stack RR crossties 10-12 foot high, 2-3 deep, and and at least 3 wide for two lanes. And also stack at a 45 deg. angle on the front, like a funnel. Front fill with dirt to reduce ricochet!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Buy a house in the country with enough land.
Borrow a tractor and push up nice big berms.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
Laws on discharge vary widely by location. In some locations they let the state law about distance from road dictate. In other locations you're basically restricted to indoor ranges only.

For outdoor range planning, I think the NRA has a book on it. For indoor or underground ranges, you've got to have some consideration for contamination and ventilation.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
16-11-103 state law not within 50 yards or shielded from view

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts
Skidmark, check with the website "municode.com" to look up municipal and county ordinances and codes.
In addition to laws specifically on the discharge of firearms or shooting ranges, consider noise ordinances also.

If you legally create a private shooting range that complies with the laws on the day it was first used, you should be grandfathered-in from newer and more restrictive laws, AND after 1 year your neighbors will lose the right to sue over noise nuisance. See State code section 41-1-9.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Skidmark, check with the website "municode.com" to look up municipal and county ordinances and codes.
In addition to laws specifically on the discharge of firearms or shooting ranges, consider noise ordinances also.

If you legally create a private shooting range that complies with the laws on the day it was first used, you should be grandfathered-in from newer and more restrictive laws, AND after 1 year your neighbors will lose the right to sue over noise nuisance. See State code section 41-1-9.
I hit that 1 year mark 1 year after I moved in the house. The range has just improved in the last 2 1/2 years I have lived there.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts
<sings> Home, home, on the range!
Where hot lead and copper does spray.

If your backstop is tall,
you need not fear the law.

And your brass pile gets bigger each day!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
For outdoor range planning, I think the NRA has a book on it. For indoor or underground ranges, you've got to have some consideration for contamination and ventilation.
And fires. There will be a good bit of unburnt powder.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts
My outdoor range might have an accumulation of unburnt powder-- underneath all the dead leaves and pine needles.
But I've got a feeling that every time it rains , or even every time to dew settles on the ground, that powder is neutralized.

My backstop is one that I dug into the side of a hill myself with a pick ax and a shovel.
It started out just being 18 inches high and 1 yard wide.
Now it's about 5 feet tall and about 9 feet wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Your neighbors have less say about a home range than do your city or county ordinances.

Athens-Clarke County, where I work, has some very onerous firearms discharge laws.

Morgan County, where I live, apparently has no significant firearms discharge laws as pertaining to shooting on one's own land. Most of my neighbors have a range at home.

Here is my home range (old photo)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts